Insert Synth limit to ?? tracks

Max Arwood

Now I am at my DAW I tried inserting an instance of Kontakt 6 with the limit set to 8 and 4 in both cases I got 32 tracks replicating what you are seeing.

I also tried this with EastWest Play and Toontrack Superior Drummer got a similar results, 

I had not noticed this option before, if it worked it would be very useful.

I don't use Kontakt so used Superior Drummer 3 instead

Here is what I did to limit the number of tracks while adding a synth

• Clicked on the "Add Track" button
  • Selected the Instrument tab
  • Selected "Superior Drummer 3"
  • Selected "Split Instrument Track" under advanced
  • Entered 3 for number of tracks

Three stereo audio tracks were created and sequentially assigned to SD3 along with its MIDI track.

My guess is you are using a different method to insert synths.

You might want to consider using track templates when inserting Kontakt. That way, you're assured of getting exactly what you want without having to fiddle with Kontakt's sometimes obtuse UI. Well, that is you only have to fiddle with it once.

The issue, I think, is that Cakewalk is going by the number of outputs the soft synth advertises, not the number of outputs you're actually using. I don't think it would have any way of knowing how you've got Kontakt configured internally.

Again, you can avoid all that by setting up some generic track templates. I have one specifically for strings, for example, with separate outputs for violin, viola, cello and bass. Each audio track will then be pre-named and always in the same order, which avoids confusion when mixing. I do the same thing for Superior Drummer.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, bitflipper said:

The issue, I think, is that Cakewalk is going by the number of outputs the soft synth advertises, not the number of outputs you're actually using.

This is how it used to work before the recent per-output instrument track changes. It used to be one or all outputs and nothing in between.

There is now an ability to limit the number of instrument/audio tracks created when adding the synth.

It looks to me the Add Track menu works but the same cannot be said for the Insert Soft Synth Dialog.

• Like 1

Vernon - Kontakt 6 

bitflipper - Yes thanks - Track templates are great.  I have quite a few.  I guess I could make a couple of blank ones that have less than the 32 outputs and save them. 16,8,4

I know that there is an option to add tracks to a single instance of a synth after it is added.  I just thought if I inserted a synth in the synth rack and selected 8 tracks I could get just 8 tracks?? I know that if you add a Synth that only has a stereo output you can click 4 and it will add extra copies of the synth to match your choice of channels.  Why would it not limit the channels a synth would add?  It just looks like that is what the dialogue would do.

The Insert Soft Synth Options Dialog has the necessary options but does not work at this time.

The Add Track dialog called by the Add Track button and Insert Instrument option in the track header context menu works exactly as you want.

Here is a video adding Superior Drummer 3 to a project with 3 of its 16 stereo audio tracks and its MIDI track using the steps I detailed in my previous post.

FVwEewy.gif

• Like 1

It only works for me when using "Instrument Track Per Output" and "Stereo Audio Output" or "Mono Audio Output" is selected.

Failing to select one of the output options crashes CbB.

Using the "Limit to:" option with MIDI+Audio Tracks does not work. The dialog works the same regardless of the "Limit to" and "Max Available" settings.

I did not test as many permutations/combinations as I did for previous versions of the Insert [Instrument] Track/Soft Synth process.  However, (1) I think there are variations in results based on the specifics of each VSTis/DXis, and (2) the current version seems to be inconsistent with previous versions..

(1) [Based on specific SoftSynth]: For example, in one softsynth, I can set the number of outputs up to 19.  I have it set to 16, so when I use the VST2 version (one stereo audio instrument track per output), Cakewalk will create 16 instrument tracks linked to one instance of the VST. With "Max. Available" checked, Cakewalk now channelizes the 16 tracks (so the outputs go to the one instance, MIDI channels 1 -> 16 respectively).

[New feature seems to work in my tests--sort of**] If I set "Limit to" to 8, I only get 8 channelized tracks for the one instance.

Note: I used the  Menu Bar > Insert Menu > Soft Synth method (2020.08).

With TTS-1 when I put 8 in the "Limit to" box, Cakewalk inserted 8 Instrument Tracks with one Instance in the Synth Rack with two sets of tracks pointed to MIDI Channel 1 -> 4--because TTS-1 has four outputs.

** (2) [Haven't tested many possible combinations] Previously I could set the soft synth to use 19 outputs and Cakewalk would create 19 outputs (or 19 outputs x no. of tracks I chose).

Today, Max. Available seems to be 16 max; I did not get 2 instances; I did not get 19 tracks. I understand 16 might be a limitation in Cakewalk; if so, it it should say Max. Avail. [up to 16].  Again, not fully tested with different insertion methods and combinations of insertion options--yet.

Also, I got some crashes/shut downs. As well, once when I accidentally typed in a number > 19, I had a crash/shut down.

Note: I don't need workarounds; I always work within what the limits of software.  Just adding info./details that I hope is helpful.

PS: I was pleased to see that with this method, the 16 tracks were channelized. I don't remember that happening with tests of some previous versions. Not a problem to split the instrument track either as needed or in a personal template.

46 minutes ago, scook said:

It only works for me when using "Instrument Track Per Output" and "Stereo Audio Output" or "Mono Audio Output" is selected.

Failing to select one of the output options crashes CbB.

Using the "Limit to:" option with MIDI+Audio Tracks does not work. The dialog works the same regardless of the "Limit to" and "Max Available" settings.

As I have never used Instrument tracks before I have not looked at "Instrument Track Per Output" so I just tried it. For me it crashes regardless of the Stereo Audio Output" or "Mono Audio Output" settings.  With one of them checked I get a fatal error just after the tracks are created. With none checked it does not even get that far.

Crash when using the first options -  Module Cakewalk.exe - Exception code c0000005

I think I will start another thread about this error. Not a show stopper for me as I will continue as i have always done using MIDI + Audio tracks.

2 minutes ago, Vernon Barnes said:

As I have never used Instrument tracks before I have not looked at "Instrument Track Per Output" so I just tried it. For me it crashes regardless of the Stereo Audio Output" or "Mono Audio Output" settings.  With one of them checked I get a fatal error just after the tracks are created. With none checked it does not even get that far.

Crash when using the first options -  Module Cakewalk.exe - Exception code c0000005

I think I will start another thread about this error. Not a show stopper for me as I will continue as i have always done using MIDI + Audio tracks.

Can you give more detailed steps?

If you can let me know which instrument you tried to insert, and  a screen shot of the insert synth dialog that would be great.

Just now, msmcleod said:

Can you give more detailed steps?

If you can let me know which instrument you tried to insert, and  a screen shot of the insert synth dialog that would be great.

OK,  The problems occurred with both Kontakt and Superior Drummer.  Screenshots and minidump here

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1CIMEBe0lnlYpMSMCKCDK1HZML04dLpCN/view?usp=sharing

@scook  No new thread created.

@scook - I took a look at the dump, and I've fixed that problem...  basically now you must select one or the other, and the issue it caused (a divide by zero error) has also been fixed.

@Vernon Barnes - thank's for the info... I'll look into it further. The options on the dialog work fine for me with Kontakt, so there must be something else happening here.