Recording in multiple layers /tracks

Davina Doom

Question

Hi, 

I am new in all this, so I'll try to sound not too "noob"ish. 

I connected my RD-800 stage piano as with usb cable to record in cakewalk/bandlab. 

So far so good, I created a midi track and recorded something (piano 2 hands). Now I want to add an extra layer piano 2 hands to create a 4 handed recording so to speak :p

If I create another track, the pedal I used in my first track, is also changed whenever I make use of the pedal in the second track. For example: if I want to use no pedal in track 1, but only in the part I play in track 2, that's not possible. 

Does anyone have an idea? Maybe it has something to do with the input channels, but if I change the input channel in track 2,there is no signal, no sound, I can't record... 

Thanks in advance for any help or advice :) 

7 answers to this question

Sounds like the RD-800 is set to receive on one channel. 

It appears that both of your recorded Cakewalk MIDI tracks are transmitting on the same MIDI channel.  This would be why the sustains on each track, affect both tracks.

Can you set the RD-800 as a multitimbral instrument - that is can it be configured to play multiple tracks, each on its own channel?

I don't have this keyboard, so I can only guess at this.

With Upper 1 to 3, do these respond independently to MIDI channels 1 to 3 respectively?  (Make sure all part switches are on - page 42 of the RD0800 manual)

if so, then what happens if, in Cakewalk, you set one MIDI track to channel 1 and the other MIDI track to channel 2

Have a look at the inspector for the MIDI tracks (with the track selected , press i to show the inspector), and change their channels there. It's the top most item on the left column of the inspector.  

It looks like your keyboard is four part mulitimbral, and you want to record as if two pianists are playing.  To record two independent parts of the same instrument do the following  Create a midi track and set it's input to channel one.  Load the piano patch into UPPER1 and record.  Next create a new midi track (or duplicate without including clips) and change input to channel two.  Load the same piano patch into UPPER2 and record.  UPPER2 is defaulted to transmit on midi channel 2.  I am not familiar with your keyboard but you may have to set it up for multimbral playback.  Good Luck

Edited by tonemangler

On 8/23/2020 at 1:28 PM, Promidi said:

I don't have this keyboard, so I can only guess at this.

With Upper 1 to 3, do these respond independently to MIDI channels 1 to 3 respectively?  (Make sure all part switches are on - page 42 of the RD0800 manual)

if so, then what happens if, in Cakewalk, you set one MIDI track to channel 1 and the other MIDI track to channel 2

Have a look at the inspector for the MIDI tracks (with the track selected , press i to show the inspector), and change their channels there. It's the top most item on the left column of the inspector.  

That seems to work.. Thank you so much! Now only figuring out how to create the same instrument on channel 2 (now it randomly chooses instruments like strings/flute etc) 

On 8/24/2020 at 3:56 AM, tonemangler said:

It looks like your keyboard is four part mulitimbral, and you want to record as if two pianists are playing.  To record two independent parts of the same instrument do the following  Create a midi track and set it's input to channel one.  Load the piano patch into UPPER1 and record.  Next create a new midi track (or duplicate without including clips) and change input to channel two.  Load the same piano patch into UPPER2 and record.  UPPER2 is defaulted to transmit on midi channel 2.  I am not familiar with your keyboard but you may have to set it up for multimbral playback.  Good Luck

I think I understand what you mean, I have a look how to load the same piano patch in upper 2, and try this out! 

2 hours ago, Davina Doom said:

That seems to work.. Thank you so much! Now only figuring out how to create the same instrument on channel 2 (now it randomly chooses instruments like strings/flute etc) 

Are you able to set the MIDI track's patch as well.  If not you could always insert a patch change at the start of your MIDI track.

Press CTRL P where you want the patch change to occur.......   You will have to look in the user guide to work out what number corresponds to which patch (program)....   you have 128 to choose from.  The pianos are usually in the lower numbers.