Desert Chant

bjornpdx

I've been in a slump lately. Can't seem to finish any of the several projects I've started.
So here's one I did a few years ago. It was meant as music for a slideshow of the Natl Parks in Utah that I had visited. Desert, red rocks etc.

The chant is from one of the loops that came with Sonar a while ago. I lost the .cwp file somehow so don't know the name of the loop. I wanted a Native American voice from that region but I wasn't sure where the guy singing the chant was from so I didn't use it.

Anyway, I like the song. It's kind of hypnotic (ie repetitive) so it's not something to wake you up in the morning.

• Like 4

I really like it, Bjorn . Builds rather nicely and quite organically, which keeps it interesting. Nice mix, too.

Could be the soundtrack for a movie  about red rocks that is directed by David Lynch or Darren Aronofsky - all which is a good thing :)

As regards being a slump -- been there, know what it is like.

I don't know if this will be helpful, but for what it's worth:  when I find myself in that situation  (and I do on a regular basis) I take my habit of writing fast, and jack  it up on steroids.  I  just start with an idea (and sometimes a pretty feeble one), turn off all critical faculties, good taste and common sense, and just   go

I make a point of slogging to the end, however    atrocious it may be. Usually  this produces crap, but even the biggest mess will have  a few gems  in it that can be used elsewhere. And occasionally, it produces something quite usable that can be built on (exhibit A for that would be my "Soldier's Hornpipe"). 

If nothing else, it gets the juices flowing again. I cannot recommend  that approach enough. 

Rob

Edited by Amicus717
  • Like 1

Love it Bjorn!!!  When my son was young I used to take him to some pow wows (one in St. Pete and one just north of Tampa).  They would host some of the dancing, drumming, and chanting at these events (the Seminole Tribe used to serve up some great pumpkin fry bread).  The drumming and chanting at these events was almost hypnotic and really attracted me.  I appreciated this song as it took me back to some good times with my son. 

BTW, I can appreciate being stuck on getting songs done.  I have recently worked on about 6 different versions of a song and haven't found one that I like yet.  I have walked away from it for a while in the hope that when I come back to it --- I can finish it properly.

Thanks for posting this.

• Like 1

Doug, I never thought of the song used for meditation. I'll just add that to the list of genres. Thanks.

Daryl, thanks for listening, comment and encouragement.

tom, yep, I've been thru all those places several times. As soon as this pandemic recedes I'm heading out there again.

Rob, thanks for the comments (David Lynch is one of my favs) and the suggestions for getting thru a slump. Much appreciated.

H.S. and Wookster,  thanks for listening and  commenting

Gary, Morrocco? That would be a trip of a lifetime.

Freddy, thanks so much for the comments. Interesting about drumming. I was in Uganda last year and saw a couple of dance performances. Singing and always a lot of drums. Very talented and amazingly athletic.

Sometimes you have a way of pulling music into an ethereal feel, without knowing it ... You have to listen to this twice (or more) to really understand it's power.... Just a thing , sometimes my son-in law and I listen to stuff in the studio into the early hours ...he's ***** about bands and their history,and can't play a bloody thing,  I'm into how the sound relates to the listener and yep, it's war at times, but  ... he loved this, as do I .. so well done .. Thanks M8 you have skill ....and then we listened to Diamond Sky .......... ( The block will pass )

S

• Like 1