Tsugi DSP Motion sound effects app (new product)

Matthew Sorrels

This isn't a deal, but I thought people might be interested.  DSP Motion is a sound effect/Foley generator that works on mouse motion.  It's mainly aimed at movies/film/games but it makes wave files which you can use in anything.  It doesn't let you load your own sounds, but it has a nice collection of generators (air/fire/metal/paper/etc) some very nice randomization options.  About the only thing I didn't like was I can't resize the window.  But for $49 it's pretty neat.  I have no doubt I'll be using it for my next animation.  No demo though.  They do use ShareIt for purchasing and adjust the pricing so you pay $49 including what ever sales tax they have to collect.  Which is always nice (and yes when you go to checkout it will show a lower price until it adds in the tax).

http://tsugi-studio.com/web/en/products-dspmotion.html

• Thanks 2

This looks really good.

Does how you draw have any effect on the sound? e.g. does left/right affect panning, or does drawing faster/slower affect pitch? Are the rendered .wav files mono, or stereo?

(Sorry for the question-barrage)

5 minutes ago, antler said:

This looks really good.

Does how you draw have any effect on the sound? e.g. does left/right affect panning, or does drawing faster/slower affect pitch? Are the rendered .wav files mono, or stereo?

(Sorry for the question-barrage)

Yes they have a sort of unique way of mapping the drawing to the left/right/up/down panning of the sound.  In each of the drawing modes the area you draw on has a gradient (different gradient layouts for each drawing mode) and the sound renders based on where in that gradient you draw.  Watch the video closely and you can see how it works.  The sounds are rendered as stereo wave files in either 44.1khz or 48khz.  The drawing mode is very natural with a mouse.  I didn't even bother trying my tablet (which I almost never use in day to day stuff).  I really like the mapping from a mouse scribble to a sound.  It's very natural.

I was kind of surprised with the musical generator there are actually different instruments for each of the drawing modes (move/rotate/scale/appear/merge/transform) -- for move they have violin/cello/trumpet but for transform they have a metalophone and a koto.  I was pretty amazed (figured they would just have the one set of instruments). 

It also has a snap shot feature that I think is very nice.  Set the path to where you want to save and all you have to do is hit the snapshot button to save the wave file, no file name work/save dialog/etc.  You can make a dozen sounds really fast.  Plus you can setup the range on the various parameters for randomization and then have it render the same motion as multiple files with different random settings.  Very handy for game work.  The edit button opens the wave you just created in your audio editor, which is very handy too.  Definitely check out the PDF help (press the paper icon in the lower right corner to open the help).

It doesn't let you do a sequence of hits though -- it can make a long drawn out sound effect, but you can't use it as a footstep generator for example.   Each time you let off the mouse and then restart the mouse starts a new effect.   I think their flagship GameSynth is more for that but it's also a bit more pricey.

• Thanks 1