Losing Notes During Set Measure/Beat At Now

John Jesensky

Hello Everybody!

Thanks so much in advance for any help you can offer with this.  I am attempting to set tempos for a very rubato-heavy piece of orchestral music.

I locked all of the recorded clips into place - which is working fine.

Then, I recorded myself playing a reference tempo track on the piano for all of the rit/accel I want.  However, when I go into the piano roll, and attempt to apply Set Measure/Beat At Now, it will work, but I will start quickly losing notes that I played more than just a couple beats ahead of where I am.

To clarify, if I recorded 30 measures of music, and I am setting the beats in measure 15, I am losing all midi data from measure 17 and onward.

Has anyone else experienced this?  I tried locking both the data and the position on my reference improv track to see if that stopped the notes from disappearing, but no luck.  So, any help at all that you can offer would be immensely appreciated.

Thank you!

John

2 hours ago, John Jesensky said:

I recorded myself playing a reference tempo track on the piano for all of the rit/accel I want.

Use Process/Fit Improvisation for this.

Whenever I need to create a tempo map for rubato or syncopated parts that Melodyne doesn't analyze correctly I tap the beat out on a microphone and run Fit Improvisation. The reference track that you tap out must be 1/4 notes and run the length of the piece.

Set Measure/Beat at Now works very well but can be tedious when the tempo is changing constantly. When using SM/B@N there is no need to record another track. Use the metronome instead.

16 hours ago, Base 57 said:

Use Process/Fit Improvisation for this.

Whenever I need to create a tempo map for rubato or syncopated parts that Melodyne doesn't analyze correctly I tap the beat out on a microphone and run Fit Improvisation. The reference track that you tap out must be 1/4 notes and run the length of the piece.

Set Measure/Beat at Now works very well but can be tedious when the tempo is changing constantly. When using SM/B@N there is no need to record another track. Use the metronome instead.

Thank you so much for this advice.  OK - will try it.  I have been using Sonar for at least 10 years, but always just kind of molded my own tempos using "set series of tempos" etc.  I think following a performance would be a much more natural way of doing it.  I will enter the quarter notes to line up with my improvised playing, and then base P/FI against that.  Thank you again for your help!!