lost overwrite

Heb Gnawd

Hi

I am experiencing a strange dysfunction during recording that isn't restricted to, but primarily concerns the  inability to overwrite.  I just thought I would check if this is familiar to anyone before  replacing hardware that otherwise appears to be working properly, or reinstalling Cakewalk.   I have been working on the same project for over a month, Record is set to overwrite and this has worked for me fine up until now. I am running Windows 10 pro with i7 9700k 3.6GHz 64G ram,  I have 2 midi controllers connected through separate  interfaces. sound card is focusite scarlet 2i2, I can describe my setup in more detail , but this might not be necessary if someone recognizes this problem. 

2 days ago I had a fallout ( something i haven't experienced since the late 90's). and then Cakewalk froze and had to be force quit. After reboot I had to redo all cakewalk settings ( midi inputs audio etc) so its possible I just misconfigured the setup after reboot.  Periodically I cannot record at all, ( no white region following the curser and no data afterwards) other times I can lay down a first recording but nothing afterwards. For a while I was able to double the track and record them both simultaneously  and this "woke up" the dormant track for a take or two.  Now i simply cant overwrite.   I've tried all reconfiguration of the record settings including "create new land"

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

thanks

Sounds like the project file itself might have gotten corrupted when you had the crash.  You could try "save as" and click to move the audio data with the new project and save it in a new location.  You could also bounce all your tracks out as stems and then create a new project and drag your tracks into the new project to see if this fixes your problem.

Thanks for responding, I thought of the same thing , but all projects, even new projects are affected.  I have since reinstalled cakewalk and the sound card driver and the problem still persists.  The problem is sporadic   for a while it seemed to be working properly with "On stop rewind to now marker " unchecked, but that is no longer the case.  It feels like a Windows or Hardware problem  except that everything functions,  its just not responding to Cakewalk record settings  correctly.

Obviously I can continue to work by selecting the track and deleting between takes, but the way I'm set up, this means I have to leave the keyboard and return to the main computer each time.  Its also an indication that something is awry ,