When You're Tired Of Running - an experiment in 7/8 time

Lynn Wilson

I've always liked odd time signatures in music.  I guess it comes from all the Frank Zappa and King Crimson I've listened to over the years.  This song grew from the opening guitar riff which is in 7/8.  I just happen to have a slew of drum beats in 7/8 so I stayed in that time signature for the rest of the song.  My question is:  does it work or does it sound too disjointed?  Plus, my usual questions about the mix.  I'd love your feedback, and I thank you in advance.  It can be found here:  https://soundclick.com/r/s8e65s

• Like 3

I always think of you as a singer and forget that you're also great on the guitar. You have a cool voc delay which worked well except there were a couple of places where the tail was maybe too long eg around 2:00
Nice job on this song Lynn. I really like it.

• Thanks 1

What is weird is that these sort of time signatures do something to my brain and seems to irritate me,
Anybody else get that?

I like the guitar work and your vocal Lynn but I cant listen to it all.
I remember thats how I felt when I first listened to Jessie's music..  but now for some reason I like it and have got used to it and can see the creativity in it.
Need to try and listen more..

Gary

Edited by garybrun
  • Like 2

Took me about half way through to stop trying to fix the 1, and let the tune dictate where it falls.
I was auditioning some 5/4 stuff and didn't "struggle" as much with the 1 in that.

5 hours ago, Bajan Blue said:

7/8 not easy to make it sound this good

So 7 is tougher? I don't recall ever playing any 7/8 stuff...

t

• Like 1

20 hours ago, bjornpdx said:

I always think of you as a singer and forget that you're also great on the guitar. You have a cool voc delay which worked well except there were a couple of places where the tail was maybe too long eg around 2:00
Nice job on this song Lynn. I really like it.

Thanks Bjorn for you kind words.  I'll check out the spot around 2:00 and take care of it.  Btw, the f/x is "ghost reverb" from Wave's H-Reverb.  I'd been looking for an opportunity to use it.

7 hours ago, Bajan Blue said:

Hi Lynn

Like this and a great job - vocals and guitars really cool

And 7/8 not easy to make it sound this good

Nigel

Thank you, Nigel.  This really boosts my confidence in this ditty.  I forgot to mention that I was also inspired, in part, by Miles Davis and Sun Ra.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Douglas Kirby said:

I think this 7/8 time signature song works quite well - you did a good job on this.  I think I've told you before your vocal reminds me a bit of Peter Gabriel.

I like the mix and song - well done.

Thank you very much, Douglas!  You're too kind.

• Like 1

On 8/22/2020 at 6:10 AM, garybrun said:

What is weird is that these sort of time signatures do something to brain and seems to irritate me,
Anybody else get that?

I remember thats how I felt when I first listened to Jessie's music..  but now for some reason I like it and have got used to it and can see the creativity in it.

Gary

Gary, I know what you mean.  Either it works or it doesn't.  This is the kind of feedback that I'm looking for.  I don't know if this will help, but when I took theory many years ago, I was taught to count odd time signatures like this:  1-2-3-4-1-2-3 (sorry if you already know this).  I had to play this by feel rather than count it out.  I had more trouble getting used to the missing eighth note at the end than finding the downbeat.  I have trouble thinking outside the box at times, and an exercise like this helps me expand my box.  Thanks so much for your reply!

On 8/22/2020 at 6:27 AM, daryl1968 said:

I pulled a muscle trying to tap my foot in time :)

very cool mate. 

I have an Ace bandage for you, my friend!  Whatever you do, don't try snapping your fingers to this, unless it's on a keyboard.  Thanks for your reply, Daryl.

• Haha 1

On 8/22/2020 at 8:15 AM, Wookiee said:

It keeps you listening, it is why Zapper liked them so much.

Nice job @Lynn :) 

Thank you Wookie!  That's why I kept listening to Zappa-you never knew what was coming next.

On 8/22/2020 at 9:35 AM, DeeringAmps said:

Took me about half way through to stop trying to fix the 1, and let the tune dictate where it falls.
I was auditioning some 5/4 stuff and didn't "struggle" as much with the 1 in that.

So 7 is tougher? I don't recall ever playing any 7/8 stuff...

t

Hi Tom, thanks for replying!  I had the same problem until I started anticipating the missing eighth note at the end.  I had to do this to break the cycle of the gloomy songs I had been writing lately.

On 8/22/2020 at 12:21 PM, Old Joad said:

It kind of sounds a bit like some of the music Stewart Copeland was doing after the Police.. I like the sound of the guitars, so yes I would say it works😎

I'm gonna check that out, as I was a huge Police fan.  Thanks so much for your reply!

On 8/23/2020 at 9:37 AM, David Sprouse said:

I agree with the nod to stew-art copeland.  This is just SO good.  I'm running out of superlatives.  This genre is right up my alley

David, I really appreciate your response!  One superlative I never tire of is "luck".  (or, more appropriately, "it's better to be lucky than good")

• Like 1

Lynn

My wife teaches Balkan dancing so I hear the music pretty often.  7/8 is a common time signature in Bulgarian music, and in that area they also have 9/8 11/8 13/8  and other weird (to us) time signatures. Your song could be a big hit in Bulgaria!

• Haha 3

Absoflippinlutely cool sounds.  I understand the reference above to Copeland's stuff.  I also pick up a little bit of a Devo vibe in the timing and keyboard sound (e.g., Satisfaction).  You really have been putting out some interesting, creative and well done  work recently.  Luv the guitar playing and your vocals are top notch.

• Thanks 1

On 8/22/2020 at 12:10 PM, garybrun said:

What is weird is that these sort of time signatures do something to my brain and seems to irritate me,
Anybody else get that?

Gary

Buggered me brain up ... I really couldn't understand the rhythm at all ... if Zappa saw my face he's blow smoke in the air and ask who my mother was ...and then I see Jesse's comment .. .far too clever for my old brain .. but boy... you play that ol'gitar well

Edited by Sabby Brown
  • Haha 1

21 hours ago, freddy j said:

Absoflippinlutely cool sounds.  I understand the reference above to Copeland's stuff.  I also pick up a little bit of a Devo vibe in the timing and keyboard sound (e.g., Satisfaction).  You really have been putting out some interesting, creative and well done  work recently.  Luv the guitar playing and your vocals are top notch.

Freddy, thank you very much!  I was unaware of Stewart Copeland's work until recently, but am grateful to have gotten the word.  Stay safe, my friend!