Epic orchestral music

Feral State Sound

You have some nice ideas here and the low brass sound you are using is very visceral.

What troubles me is that the instruments do not mix coherently. I don't feel that they are in the same space. Maybe check the spatialization and levels of everything. And check your reverb, a good reverb is essential to a coherent orchestal mix. I would also add low end, now everything feels very thin, even the visceral low brass.

I would also pay attention to the dynamics of the piece. When the harp comes it is clearly a place to have a somewhat mellower sounds, but the harp plucks at full tilt all the time. Dynamics is what makes the louder parts of the track stand out. As they are now only the final 15 seconds feel to be any other dynamic than full.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Kuusniemi said:

You have some nice ideas here and the low brass sound you are using is very visceral.

What troubles me is that the instruments do not mix coherently. I don't feel that they are in the same space. Maybe check the spatialization and levels of everything. And check your reverb, a good reverb is essential to a coherent orchestal mix. I would also add low end, now everything feels very thin, even the visceral low brass.

I would also pay attention to the dynamics of the piece. When the harp comes it is clearly a place to have a somewhat mellower sounds, but the harp plucks at full tilt all the time. Dynamics is what makes the louder parts of the track stand out. As they are now only the final 15 seconds feel to be any other dynamic than full.

Thank you! I will apply every one of your tips on my next composition or maybe on a future "remake" of this song. It is my first mix and the reverb is Vallhalla Vintageverb.

Edited by Feral State Sound

I agree with the previous, but it still sounds great. One thing I might add is that I don't like the way the strings fade at around 1:00. I would lower the velocities instead, but that's nitpicking thing.