PROTEUS VX on Cakewalk

fantakus

EMU Proteus VX plug in: OK installation, it seems to work as "stand alone", but as VST has problems:  Cakewalk "see it" correctly, it is possible to create an Instrument track, but it is NOT possible to visualize the plug in (the Proteus VX user interface) choose the sounds, edit, etc

May I have a help?

First of all, thank you very much Vernon. Yes, Proteus VX is quite old  (I free downloaded it  more than 10 years ago), but I'm very fond of it and I would continue using it also on Cakewalk. 

I don't know and never used before Jbridge, but I see that in Cakewalk is available something similar (I suppose) but internally: BitBridge , which allow  to use 32-bit VST  instruments ...In VST setting I've set Bitbridge  "Automatic (Based on available RAM)".

Have you experience on it? Could it help in place of JBridge? What should I do with Bitbridge apart from the setting required in Cakewalk's VST setting?

Personally, I've found JBridge to cope with 32 bit plugins far better than BitBridge... and Cakewalk has native support for JBridge if you have it installed, so you don't have to use JBridger to create separate bridged DLL's.

BitBridge is a very basic bridge. It literally wraps up the 32bit DLL and passes all VST API calls from CbB to the plugin DLL. 

JBridge does the same, but has a bunch more options to cope with the fact that the plugin may have been designed for a much earlier version of windows, or is not completely adhering to the VST spec.  You can tweak it on a per-plugin basis.

Over the past few weeks I have pruned some of my soft synths from my scan paths including Proteus VX.  Not sure if I removed it because it didn't work under Windows 10 or if it was redundant. If it would help, I could add it back and rescan and check.**  If you can find a working copy of the last version of the sampler, I'd recommend that over Proteus VX any day (assuming it can still be authorized).  Some of the E-Mu CDs  for the X series no longer scan properly in Cakewalk, possibly due to changes to changes in Windows' protected locations changes.***  

**Update: Yup--I pruned Proteus VX because it doesn't work under Win 10 (as others have confirmed).

***  image.png.38a3ba4e92daecbe9e6eab63905b35bd.png  image.png.f0b19cbfb6fdf9492cf37bdf3e49fe50.png

Edited by User 905133
to add an update

Hi. I'm afraid the Protues VX will not work under W10 in Cakewalk. It will work as a standalone. I also have it in a 32bit version of Sonar 8.5 that works. It inserts in Cakewalk but all that appears is a small square with no detail other than the plugin name. I tried with admin permissions and running as a W7 programme. But to no avail. It is old though and the architecture is probably out of date.I f you have a version of Sonar. Then Dimension Pro is superior.

OK.  Rescanning Proteus VX jogged my memory:

image.png.9fd01f9423ebefb0ca77ceaf2455bd76.png

As TracingArcs noted:

On 8/20/2020 at 10:59 AM, TracingArcs said:

Hi. I'm afraid the Protues VX will not work under W10 in Cakewalk. It will work as a standalone. I also have it in a 32bit version of Sonar 8.5 that works. It inserts in Cakewalk but all that appears is a small square with no detail other than the plugin name. I tried with admin permissions and running as a W7 programme. But to no avail. It is old though and the architecture is probably out of date.I f you have a version of Sonar. Then Dimension Pro is superior.

As for Dimension Pro, I will have to check, but IIRC it uses more CPU than Emulator X. Plus with Emulator X I find that I can have up to 19 buses per instance (though I set mine up to do 16).

Edited by User 905133
to add a missing ")"

On 8/20/2020 at 11:21 AM, Vernon Barnes said:

If you really want the Protius sounds Digital Sound Factory have all the sounds in Dimension Pro format. https://www.digitalsoundfactory.com/product/e-mu-proteus-pack/

I think it's a bit expensive for what it is but they have frequent sales. I think there are at lot more sounds here than VX but I would not swear to it.

I have the highest respect for the work Tim Swartz has done and continues to do with the E-Mu Library.

Another option is to use an XP PC to run Proteus VX and send the audio into a Win 10 PC.

One benefit to the out-dated E-Mu software is that you can convert hardware sampler banks (*.e4b) to the software format (*.exb).  For ages there have been price gougers selling disks (both copies and original disks), but you can sometimes find musicians selling legitimate E-Mu disks for a fair price.

(Just to be clear, I am in no way suggesting being taken in (1) by sellers offering bona fide disks at inflated prices or (2) by unauthorized sellers offering downloads and copies of disks.)

Edited by User 905133
(2) to fix a typo; (1) to add a caveat

7 hours ago, Keni said:

Might it be possible to run the standalone as a rewire device? I know that's a stretch.

I haven't taken Proteus VX back out of my scan path and would be willing to try it if someone can provide steps on how to convert it to a rewire application. Reading the Reference Guide provided no clues that I could see for converting plug-ins to rewire applications.

UPDATE: For what its worth, I just found an old thread about the Proteus VX (and other E-Mus) in a previous forum. There are other threads there, too.

Edited by User 905133
to add a reference to Proteus VX threads in a previous forum

1 hour ago, User 905133 said:

I haven't taken Proteus VX back out of my scan path and would be willing to try it if someone can provide steps on how to convert it to a rewire application. Reading the Reference Guide provided no clues that I could see for converting plug-ins to rewire applications.

UPDATE: For what its worth, I just found an old thread about the Proteus VX (and other E-Mus) in a previous forum. There are other threads there, too.

No. You don’t convert the plugin. The OP said that there is a standalone version that does work. Rewire that!

• Thanks 1

36 minutes ago, Keni said:

No. You don’t convert the plugin. The OP said that there is a standalone version that does work. Rewire that!

Thanks for the clarification!!!  I have never used "ReWire" and the Reference Guide was no help--so far as I can tell, standalone Soft Synths do not show up via "ReWire."

However, I can rewire [in the generic sense] Proteus VX with ASIO by (for example) sending the output of Proteus VX to an ASIO stereo pair output and then routing it via a send from PatchMix DSP into a Cakewalk ASIO stereo pair input. 

I never thought of routing ASIO channels as rewiring, but I guess you can call routing wiring and changing ASIO Ins, Outs, and Sends rewiring.  

9 hours ago, Keni said:

Might it be possible to run the standalone as a rewire device? I know that's a stretch. [emphasis added]

I see what happened--by "a rewire device" I took that to refer to the "ReWire" apparatus, as opposed to just routing the standalone soft synth via ASIO.  Thanks for helping me to understand the difference.

Edited by User 905133
wording tweaks

proteus Vx is just a standalone player implementation of the Emu Emulator X3 VST sampler. The X3  was 64bit  and looks like it works fine with cakewalk,  You could load up X3 and load your VX banks into that and it would essentially be identical.    Getting hold of a copy shouldnt    be too difficult. The only problem you might face is that the X3 has long been abandoned so there is no activation server anymore, however there are numerous forums with work arounds for this.   

• 1 year later...

Sorry to resuscitate a year-old topic, but I also tried to load Proteus VX in Cakewalk... and got the same results as the OP.  However, when I load it as a VSTi in Cakewalk Music Creator 6 Touch (basically a stripped-down version of Sonar X2 that was available a few years ago), it runs perfectly. The UI appears and all presets are available. The only reason I can think of is that MC6 Touch must be a 32-bit application. Anyway, I now save any Proteus tracks to audio tracks and use those in Cakewalk.

• Like 2
  • Great Idea 1

• 10 months later...

There are 2 potential options to get VX working in Cakewalk.

Load Minihost Modular 32 bit version into Cakewalk. Then load Proteus VX into Minihost.

If you can't get Minihost to load with Bitbridge use JBridger and it should load OK.

Second option is load Proteus VX using JBridger. 

I've done both in Windows 10 and both seem to work.

Minihost can be useful for loading other 32 bit vst's and perha[ps chaining together. 

• Like 1