Sonar Platinum and Cakewalk Same PC

bmog

yes.  Install SPLAT. Pause, have a beer, and then Install CbB.  If you choose the default file locations for SPLAT for Plugins etc they will be the same - and you want that because CbB has phuqoll for VST files as shipped compared to the previous SONAR versions.  By default the two program executable files install in two different directories anyway so no conflict there.  All of the programs listed in my Signature are currently installed on my machine using the defaults and all work as expected.

I have read that you usually want the older programs first so that CbB finds your plugins folders instantly, but it doesn't seem to matter to me - Ireinstalled SPLAT AFTER CbB and everything, again, works as expected

Edited by StudioNSFW

22 minutes ago, StudioNSFW said:

yes.  Install SPLAT. Pause, have a beer, and then Install CbB.  If you choose the default file locations for SPLAT for Plugins etc they will be the same - and you want that because CbB has phuqoll for VST files as shipped compared to the previous SONAR versions.  By default the two program executable files install in two different directories anyway so no conflict there.  All of the programs listed in my Signature are currently installed on my machine using the defaults and all work as expected.

I have read that you usually want the older programs first so that CbB finds your plugins folders instantly, but it doesn't seem to matter to me - Ireinstalled SPLAT AFTER CbB and everything, again, works as expected

My reason for asking in CbB a fully mixed project gave me an error about not be able to find a file and then it removed all of my eq setting and fx's and took all the parameters away from them. I open the same project in SPLAT and it works correctly I don't understand why? CbB was corrupted had to figure out how to remove it from my pc and I did see more post by me. They are both working now but I don't want that happening again, the only thing I can't figure out is how to change SPLAT viewing. The resolution is small and I need to make it larger, CdB follows the screen resolution of the pc. Any helps is appreciated

Certainly interesting behavior. The name of that file that couldn't be found would be a big hint in what you have going on.  I have kept all this stuff installed in the name of backward compatibility but have not had CbB fight with me at all like you describe.  I recheck old projects after each quarterly release to sooth my raging paranoia....so far so good.

What's weird is that SPLAT also follows my screen resolution on this system.  SO...I dunno🤔.

44 minutes ago, StudioNSFW said:

I have read that you usually want the older programs first so that CbB finds your plugins folders instantly, but it doesn't seem to matter to me

That's the "canonical" method, I think developed because of course that's how it worked if people did it "naturally," so therefore how it was designed to work. It's proven, if anything goes astray, the forum folk who have firsthand knowledge are best equipped. Also, if you uninstall the later installed programs, there is some unpleasantness, I do know that firsthand.

I am saying this not to you, Studio, that would be geeksplaining, but rather for the lurkers. I have phuqall firsthand knowledge of the process having only installed magware Home Studio and then uninstalled it. I wound up with the extra plug-ins that are just now being included with CbB, so that was cool, but the aforementioned uninstall thing was no fun. All that happened was I lost some custom settings, templates, and plug-in layouts, but that customization takes a long time.

Also, installing versions with fewer features later can cause .INI files to be overwritten that don't have sections in them to handle certain conditions, so I suggest sticking to the canonical order when possible. Or at least backing up those .INI files.

19 hours ago, bmog said:

Is there a way to install Sonar Platinum and Cakewalk by Bandland as separate applications? They seem to share the same Cakewalk directories?

All Cakewalk DAWs and Cakewalk by BandLab share all the content in the "Shared" folders and some registry entries. There is no way to keep them completely separate when they are installed on the same machine.

• Like 2