hummmmmbuckers

Gswitz

3 hours ago, Brian Walton said:

ended up with a Heritage

A friend has one, I think Heritage labels them the H-355. As good a 335 as I've ever played.
The 339 is just a better size and weight. Like I said above, if the original 335 had been the size
of the 339, the LP would have withered and died (which it actually did if you all remember).

t

56 minutes ago, DeeringAmps said:

A friend has one, I think Heritage labels them the H-355. As good a 335 as I've ever played.
The 339 is just a better size and weight. Like I said above, if the original 335 had been the size
of the 339, the LP would have withered and died (which it actually did if you all remember).

t

Heritage made  more than just the "335" style hollowbody.

I also like the smaller hollowbody style (but the LP sounds and responds way differently than a 339).  Now the 336 is closer to a LP  since it has a "block" in it.

Heritage Prospect was availabe with floating block, solid bock, or fully hollow.  Similar size to the 336/339.  That is what I'd be looking at in the Heritage line for the smaller than 335 style semi-hollow

(and I think Heritage model that is simlilar to the 335 is the H535)

Edited by Brian Walton

The 336 is a small body? I thought it was a figured maple top 335, my “Nashville” Gibson expertise is a bit “thin” I must admit.  Pretty sure my 339 was “solid” under the pups, or as you said “blocked”. Yes, it’s not a LP, but neither is a 335. BTW, even though the 339 was the best of the Custom Shops I’ve owned, I turned her when I was offered more than I had in her. Wasn’t one I couldn’t live without. Only one Kalamazoo left in the herd, not for sale at any price...

t

1 hour ago, DeeringAmps said:

The 336 is a small body? I thought it was a figured maple top 335, my “Nashville” Gibson expertise is a bit “thin” I must admit.  Pretty sure my 339 was “solid” under the pups, or as you said “blocked”. Yes, it’s not a LP, but neither is a 335. BTW, even though the 339 was the best of the Custom Shops I’ve owned, I turned her when I was offered more than I had in her. Wasn’t one I couldn’t live without. Only one Kalamazoo left in the herd, not for sale at any price...

t

Yep, the 336 is basically a smaller body 335 (also semi-hollow)

339 is same type of shape/size as the 336 but with the solid block.  For more sustain and a punchier response.

339 is what I was going to get until I played the Prospect.   The 339 was certainly a very nice guitar (though even custom shops vary a fair amount in actual quality at Gibson).  I've only played a limited number of Prospects (Gibsons are far more prevalent), but the one I got....is really my dream guitar.      Only critiques I'd have would be the range/taper of the volume/tone knobs, and that is an easy fix, it is just so close to perfection otherwise, so never bothered to let anyone else touch it.   Just fine for most people, but likely not the ideal choice for someone that wants full dynamic control from an amp (without pedals).   

• Like 1

The PRS McCarty 594 is probably the most versatile guitar you can buy. PRS essentially took the best features from Gibson and Fender then built upon that. PRS has always been focused on materials, sustain and ergonomics. It might be overkill for what your intended use is though.

I wouldn't buy something online without playing it first. For that kind of money, it is worth a day trip to a place that carries what you are hunting for in stock. Reading specs versus playing the instrument (just like MIDI controllers) can mean different things to different people. How something plays can be more important.

There are also options to replace Strat single coils with humbuckers. Using the neck/mid or mid/bridge settings on a Strat is basically a "humbucker," just a different tone than side-by-side.

Tone is another consideration, so the humbuckers actually installed can make as much difference as the feel of the guitar. They are also replaceable, but for something like a 335, that is a royal PITA to do.

• Like 1