hummmmmbuckers

Gswitz

I don't a have a guitar with humbuckers and I think I might be ready.

I'm shopping for a guitar and I haven't done that since 2003.

I have a strat. 🙂

I'm trying to learn a bit about Jazz, but I don't really play it for real.

I'm thinking about a Gibson CS-336.

Maybe an ES-335?

PRS?

Les Paul?

Something with humbuckers.

Seeking opinions on how/where to buy. Reverb.com? Sweetwater? idk.

My last guitar was from my local music shop but I don't really have a local shop anymore.

I'm not sure there is much difference between guitar center and sweetwater in my eyes.

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/wishlist/834f8fe051ab55b3e3c0f463d5a81ea7

I've worked with a few players who played LPs and I remember them being super heavy.   One guys was silly , like 15 lbs.  I was playing my Tobias with him, and would hand him that 6 lb swamp ash, much larger 35" scale 5 string after each set as he rubbed his shoulder in dismay.  It DID sound awesome for the heavy blues-rock we were playing, though.  Believe it was a '58...

I've also played with some 335 players who used it for country, so it's not just for Jazz even though it is so common there.  

It must be crazy making to have to buy an instrument without auditioning several....

Jazz is a style so you could realistically use any guitar; strat, tele, jaguar..

I wouldn't use GC, maybe Sweetwater since they would set it up for you. Better selection & deals to be had on Reverb & eBay. I'm sure you'll hear horror stories but personally I've never had any problems with either. I get my asking prices selling & also some great deals when buying.  (Recently sold my 1966 335 & bought a new Nash T-52 with a humbucker in the neck.)

Also got an inexpensive Eastman AR372CE-SB Archtop here which is a nice 175 alternative, great jazz sound & feel.

https://reverb.com/item/35219306-eastman-ar372ce-sb-left-handed-sunburst-archtop

Good luck & have fun..

1 hour ago, antler said:

Did you have a price range in mind?

Honestly, not really. I can spend what I want for the most part. Less than 7K is likely. I sometimes look at the 15K guitars, but the feeling silly factor comes in.

I have a 3K Martin and often feel silly playing it with others. It feels pretentious and unnecessary. I don't love that feeling. I do love the guitar.

I'm not sure I care a ton about the opinions of strangers, but I'm not immune to it.

I live in a not so big house with my wife and daughter and don't have a ton of space for guitars. I think I have space for one more but not two. So, while I might spend 4-5K, I couldn't spend 2K twice to get a Les Paul and a CS-336.

I have had in my life 5 guitars total.

1. cheap acoustic - handed off to a beggar one day while travelling to lighten my load. 1988

2. Ibanez Les Paul rip-off - Sold it when I left college -- loved that thing. 1990-1993

3. Seagull acoustic electric - bought this in lieu of the Ibanez 1993

4. Strat 1995 (so I could practice silently into a cassette deck)

5. Martin 2003 (when my daughter was on the way - switching back to acoustic)

Edited by Gswitz

1 hour ago, Gswitz said:

Honestly, not really. I can spend what I want for the most part. Less than 7K is likely. I sometimes look at the 15K guitars, but the feeling silly factor comes in.

I have a 3K Martin and often feel silly playing it with others. It feels pretentious and unnecessary. I don't love that feeling. I do love the guitar.

I'm not sure I care a ton about the opinions of strangers, but I'm not immune to it.

I live in a not so big house with my wife and daughter and don't have a ton of space for guitars. I think I have space for one more but not two. So, while I might spend 4-5K, I couldn't spend 2K twice to get a Les Paul and a CS-336.

I have had in my life 5 guitars total.

1. cheap acoustic - handed off to a beggar one day while travelling to lighten my load. 1988

2. Ibanez Les Paul rip-off - Sold it when I left college -- loved that thing. 1990-1993

3. Seagull acoustic electric - bought this in lieu of the Ibanez 1993

4. Strat 1995 (so I could practice silently into a cassette deck)

5. Martin 2003 (when my daughter was on the way - switching back to acoustic)

Got it.  You need a flame top sunburst Les Paul with Gold hardware and P90s  Seymour Duncan Humbuckers with a really cool name,  Ivory binding and block inlays. 

Edited by StudioNSFW
becuz I am dum

Buy an ES-339, its a scaled down 335. If the original 335's had been this size, LP sales would have
withered and died (this from a Les Paul guy, I've owned many of them 50's gold top's and customs
right on thru to the "We finally got it right" Brazilian board 2003's).
Have several PRS's including an HB-II; not a bad choice either...

tom

Are you looking for solid-body or hollow-body?

If hollow-body:

• Gibson ES-335 or ES-339 (smaller body) as mentioned by Tom @DeeringAmps
  • PRS Hollow-Body II

If solid body:

• PRS McCarty 594
  • Gibson Custom Les Paul R9
  • Suhr Modern Pro

If this is a one-and-done type scenario, I'd go for a top-tier instrument.

I'm a big PRS fan.  I love the attention to detail, the sound, and playability.

The McCarty 594 has 58/15LT (low turn) pickups... and lots of nuance.

You can get the McCarty 592 is single or dual cut.

Pattern Vintage neck is similar (but not identical) to a R9 (has a slight V shape).

Weight is typically 7.5-8 pounds.

You can find the McCarty 594 with solid-body or hollow-body.

If you're wanting a top-tier Les Paul, it doesn't get much better than a Gibson Custom R9.

I had one not too long ago.  Weight was somewhere between 8.5 to 9 pounds.

Neck is a little thicker than a 60s... but not baseball-bat.

All the things people love about a Les Paul (fat neck pickup tone, classic "Rock" bridge humbucker tone).

I sold my R9 only because I have several PRS guitars that can get very similar sounds with (to me) better ergonomics.

That R9 was the best Les Paul I've owned.

The Suhr Modern Pro is John Suhr's take on a "Super Strat".

I like Suhr guitars for the same reason as PRS (attention to detail, consistency, sound, playability).

The Modern Pro is often viewed as an "80s Rock" guitar (and it does that well), but it's capable of far more.

The HSH pickup configuration can cover a lot of ground.

If you're in a place where it's not a financial burden, Gibson Custom or PRS Private Stock are jaw-dropping instruments.

You're getting the best... of the best.

Some people will tell you there's no quality difference between a PRS USA "Core" model... and a "Private Stock".

I've had the chance to compare many Core models side-by-side with numerous Private Stock.

In almost every comparison, the Private Stock guitar just had a little something extra.

Same with Gibson Custom...

Set-neck guitars are going to have less "snap" on the attack (vs. bolt-on neck).

Scale-length will also affect tone and playability.

If you want to keep the cost down, check-out the new PRS SE Hollow-Body Piezo.

These are new... and go for ~$1500.

• Thanks 1

21 hours ago, Gswitz said:

I don't a have a guitar with humbuckers and I think I might be ready.

I'm shopping for a guitar and I haven't done that since 2003.

I have a strat. 🙂

I'm trying to learn a bit about Jazz, but I don't really play it for real.

I'm thinking about a Gibson CS-336.

Maybe an ES-335?

PRS?

Les Paul?

Something with humbuckers.

Seeking opinions on how/where to buy. Reverb.com? Sweetwater? idk.

My last guitar was from my local music shop but I don't really have a local shop anymore.

I'm not sure there is much difference between guitar center and sweetwater in my eyes.

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/wishlist/834f8fe051ab55b3e3c0f463d5a81ea7

Look at Heritage Guitars.

I own vintage (and modern Gibsons).  When I was in the market for a Semi-Hollow body guitar, I expected to look at a CS-336, 339 or ES-335.   I ended up with a Heritage that I feel is superior to the majority of Gibsons.  

They are now even owned by Bandlab, but still made in the original Gibson factory in MI.   You can do some history search on them of how they came to be with original Gibson factory workers, etc.

Edited by Brian Walton
  • Like 1

I shouldn't even be replying here because I can't play guitar for shit and I wouldn't know a "good sounding guitar" if it hit me in the face.

What I will say, though, is I love my PRS Studio. They don't appear to make them anymore.

Not expensive at around £2200 but the most expensive single musical item I have ever bought. That got me a "Ten Top."

A beautiful work of art, in my opinion.

• Like 1