Algorithmic Reverbs (like Lexicon)

sadicus

Hey thanks everyone! I should mention why I'm asking. I was watching a tutorial and paraphrasing what the the Engineer said; Convolution reverbs have the same tail and can sound sterile, so adding a Lexicon (Algorithmic) reverb to the overall mix can help add helpful "artifacts"

So are reverbs default Algorithmic unless stated as being convolution?

so far the Brainworx sounds good + the automation is interesting. I wonder if any other reverbs have that instant ABCD selection.

Breverb 2 and whatever the Pro channel reverb is, all i've tried.

Edited by sadicus

Most often if it is not listed as using  an IR it is most likely an algorithmic one. However, some Convolution Reverbs use IRs but don't allow adding others. They look and act like algorithmic ones but use IRs that are built in. The only real advantage to convolutions is the verity of reverbs types you can use with a change of IR. 

I am not that picky about my reverbs. I use the one that sounds right for what I want to get from it. I do like the Brainworx one I also like the Pantheon too.  Breverb is OK I don't use it much. 

Having more

54 minutes ago, sadicus said:

Hey thanks everyone! I should mention why I'm asking. I was watching a tutorial and paraphrasing what the the Engineer said; Convolution reverbs have the same tail and can sound sterile

Acoustical reverb is a super-complex phenomenon. Back in the days of limited memory and crude algorithms, it was common to put two digital reverbs in series or parallel to smooth out the sound. Even though reverbs have gotten so much better, that's still an effective technique.

As to convolution, I understand the "sterile" reference but you can also take advantage of that by taking it to an extreme, and creating hyper-perfect reverbs that are to reverb as CGI is to photographs. I've synthesized a bunch of impulses not in order to create realistic sounds, but to create spaces that don't exist in the physical world. They're what I use as go-to vocal and drum reverbs in my more electronic productions, because they fit in with the overall vibe well. Here's a demo video of what they sound like. In addition to the sounds at the intro, the sound of the different reverb characters starts at about 1:00.

• Like 4

3 hours ago, sadicus said:

Hey thanks everyone! I should mention why I'm asking. I was watching a tutorial and paraphrasing what the the Engineer said; Convolution reverbs have the same tail and can sound sterile, so adding a Lexicon (Algorithmic) reverb to the overall mix can help add helpful "artifacts"

So are reverbs default Algorithmic unless stated as being convolution?

so far the Brainworx sounds good + the automation is interesting. I wonder if any other reverbs have that instant ABCD selection.

Breverb 2 and whatever the Pro channel reverb is, all i've tried.

B-Reverb  is good for free, though I haven't touched it in years.

Unfortunately you are asking these questions about a week late.

About a week ago you could get Excalibur for $10 and then do this upgrade to get R4 for another $30

https://www.pluginboutique.com/product/2-Effects/17-Reverb/6648-R4-Upgrade-from-PhoenixVerb-or-Excalibur

R4 is the best mix of Algo verb and low processing I've heard.    You only get 1 authorization though and that is lame.    it is normally $300.  

If serious about it, you might look around to see if any resellers have Phoenix    verb or Excalibur on sale (because they purchased it during the sale for $10, then get the upgrade deal for R4.

Phoenix is a more transparent Reverb than R4 and is also outstanding, but doesn't add that "color" the R4 does.  

I do not like the single seat authorization of these, but they are world class.  and once you use them, it unlikely you will want or need something of a similar type.  I have other reverbs for more extreme /effect type of things.   

The guy that made Phoenix and R4 was a primary developer at Lexicon and applying those skills to modern processing systems.  

Edited by Brian Walton
  • Like 1

On 8/19/2020 at 12:31 PM, sadicus said:

I have been a fan of convolution reverb for certain musical tasks and am curious to see the comments in the video in context.  If you don't feel comfortable posting a link to the video, could you send it to me via Cakewalk's private mail?  Thanks.

Background: I started with Voxengo's Perfect Space when it was included in SONAR.  More recently, I played around with the one that's included in MeldaProduction's free plug-in set and then their paid multiband version (during one of their 1/2 price sales). To me, the various settings, parameters, and controls can be very expressive in certain types of music and certain performance modalities.  Specifically, the complex interactions for me work much better than set-it-and-forget-it monolithic reverbs.

Not saying one type is better than another for all forms of music; just want to see the full context.  To me, any reverb (and many other effects) "can sound sterile." Depending on the type of music the tutorial addressed, convolution reverb might indeed be inappropriate.  Again, thanks.

The choice seems quite situational to me. With rock drums, I almost always use a convolution room because our ears are acclimated to hearing drums in a room. For acoustic projects, I'm more into algorithmic reverb (and I do like Breverb a lot) because its potential for delicacy works well with the delicacy of acoustic instruments.

• Great Idea 1

I'll chime in with another recommendation for Phoenix Stereo Reverb or any other reverb product by iZotope Exponential. Pluginboutique seems to have the Exponential Audio line on sale in rotation lately, I got two licenses for Phoenix at $10 each recently, then two more for Excalibur.

When it went on sale, I downloaded a trial, and the first time I tried it, I was just floored by how 3-D my mix sounded. Even if all it had was the default Neutral Hall preset it would still be my favorite, go-to reverb, but it has something like 600 presets.