The Art Of Mixing by David Gibson

Jim Fogle

This is a 2.5 hour video that visually explains how a mix works.  In my estimation it is the best video to help a beginner understand the concept of mixing as art.   I can't over emphasize how good this video is.  Back when the video was first released, it cost hundreds of (US) dollars, now it is free.

The video has a companion book available on Amazon:  https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07H4YVXR1/ref=dbs_a_def_rwt_hsch_vapi_tkin_p1_i1

Here is advertising copy from the book: 

Get ready for an in-depth exploration into the aesthetics of what makes a great mix! David Gibson's unique approach to mixing gives you a visual representation of the dynamics of the sounds involved in creating a musical mix. Through this three-dimensional, colorful explanation, you are introduced to a framework that will help you understand everything that an engineer does-- enabling you to not only recognize what you like, but how to achieve it in your studio. Expand your recording techniques by learning what your recording equipment does and how it all works together in a simple, visual manner. From bluegrass to big band, new age to heavy metal, classical to hip-hop, jazz to rap, and alternative rock to techno, Gibson has mapped out everything that can be done to create various effects in all standard mixes. Once you have a perspective on what can be done, you have the power to be truly creative on your own: to make art out of technology.

Edited by Jim Fogle
  • Like 2

On 8/19/2020 at 1:57 AM, Jim Fogle said:

From bluegrass to big band, new age to heavy metal, classical to hip-hop, jazz to rap, and alternative rock to techno, Gibson has mapped out everything that can be done to create various effects in all standard mixes.

What if you don't do any of that stuff?

Is it still worth me watching?

Nope.  🙃

If you your music doesn't fit into any music genre,  🤪  or if none of your mixes can be considered a standard mix,   🙄 then the video or book is not for you!   You would not gain anything by watching the video.  😏

But, what if you saw ONE idea of interest and that ONE idea elevated how good your mixes sound, would it be worth watching then?

A more serious and less sarcastic answer now.  An experienced mixer has likely developed an understanding of what they are hearing and developed a process that allows them to translate what they're hearing into a vision of what it can be.  But what happens when that person encounters audio material that lies outside their comfort zone?  Will their process still work?  Maybe not unless their process includes a way to break the audio material down into understandable chunks.

The video offers a way for a person that doesn't understand what they are hearing, or have a process in place to efficiently and reliably create a pleasing sounding mix, to develop a process that is genre agnostic which should be both efficient and reliable.

I can state without hesitation I found the video provides an excellent primer on what constitutes the art and science of audio production.

Edited by Jim Fogle
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1