chord track

huik

I'm impressed, but can't think where I'd use this.

Like you say, for working out ideas? But all that work! It's surely faster just to play.

Usually I put in notes I hear in my head without thinking about "chords" and stuff.

And once done, I'd want to re-record unless, like the guy says, I really want "weird".

Yeah. I dunno. H'm.

On 9/15/2020 at 11:39 AM, abacab said:

Doing pitch changes with audio tracks is probably best left to a "scratch" version of the project, due to potential artifacts of time stretching the pitches. When the desired harmonic end result is arrived at, it would probably be best to re-record the audio tracks for the final mixdown anyway.

Which is exactly how I use it in Studio One 5.

I scratch out a song using some guitar and keys loops (I'm too basic in those skills, sometimes I use EZKeys) and then later decide that verse two and three might be best served with some chord variations. Same with choruses of solos. Experiment with changing the chords.

Then add my bass, send it off to collaborators to replace those parts with their twist, get the vocals and live drums down and then bring it all together for production.

• Like 1

For MIDI users, I would think this is a "must have" feature in a modern DAW.

The MIDI chord detection would be instant and not ambiguous, and any MIDI tracks in the arrangement that are following changes in the chord track should follow error-free.

And the chord markers should be useful for anyone adding audio tracks with an instrument and wants a visual for the upcoming chord changes.

I'd find it handy to display over the top of the PRV, just so I can remember what the chord was supposed to be when I'm doing string or horn harmonies and arrangements. Start inverting the notes, spreading them out over a couple of octaves, and adding random suspensions for flavor and it's easy to lose track of what chord you're were working on. Especially if the chords change frequently and/or you're working in the higher register and can't see what the bass is doing.

• Like 1

• 7 months later...
  • 4 months later...