Night Mission?

Keith Wilby

I'm not hearing the distortion, but clearly there are some overs in the Youlean analysis.
Like the tune, so 👍's on that!

Just a word about mp3 conversion, I find I have to keep the Master at -1dB or I get overs on the conversion (or direct export).
I always bring the exported mp3 back in the project and confirm I don't have any overs.
YMMV

t

I can confirm that Izotope Insight agrees with the Youlean analysis.
As far as crits, I covered that when you put the tune up originally; solid tune. 😉
Would I mix it differently, yup; would it be "better", nope...

Edited by DeeringAmps
added content

22 hours ago, Keith Wilby said:

this isn't meant to be a completed master

I do understand @Keith Wilby what I was trying to tell you was I can not play it back there is so much distortion and it is so over driven that it is painful to hear.

I would like to hear it but you need to reduce some level in your mix.

• Like 1

On 8/18/2020 at 5:23 PM, DeeringAmps said:

I'm not hearing the distortion

49 minutes ago, Wookiee said:

I can not play it back there is so much distortion

Obviously the furry ears are much more sensitive than my (very battered and frequency limited) non-fuzzy ones.
I am the first to admit I do not possess the "golden ears" I wish I had...

t

Love the tune, Keith. But yeh, gotta agree it's too loud. My ears are surely not golden these days, having been tarnished by too many decades on the stage, but even I can hear the distortion. Tom, I understand; you're a guitarist and tube devotee, so distortion is your native ecosphere. 

Tom does understand the math, though, and he's right about limiting for MP3 encoding. Mathematically speaking, you can only guarantee no overs in an MP3 by setting the hard limit to -3 dB. That's a little extreme, though, and -1 dB should soften the blow a lot.

• Like 2