Waves Bezerk Free (again and again)

Wibbles

11 minutes ago, Wibbles said:

You like Waves therefore everybody who doesn't is stupid? Fair point.

No, not at all.

But when people just continually speak shit about something, especially when they freely admit themselves to only having a few months experience with Waves, and only owning 2 plugins, it tends to get a bit much.

Like when old bitflipper use to jump in every Waves thread on the old forums to push his agenda (we have another one in this thread)

It would be better if they just came out and said, 'I have no real reason, but I'm here to jump on the Waves hate wagon, and push my agenda'

Edited by ensconced

15 hours ago, ensconced said:

As for the single computer only? for phucks sake, ever heard of a USB Flash drive? i

I guess some consider that a major annoyance.  I have an iLok and eLicenser plugged in. Let's not forgot that many other USB peripherals.  I did this before with Waves stuff.   If you forgot to plug this makeshift dongle in a system yo are using you VST scans start going nuts. With their $29 stuff it was easier to buy duplicates which I have have to do with IK, Izotope, Melda, Arturia, and many others.   It's not about their quality and even their old RENN stuff equals or stands out but it is one of the worst licensing schemes in the industry.  I even have iLok stuff that allows for two installs and no hardware dongle needed. I think putting Waves on a USB is one of the worst arguments to buy from them.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, ensconced said:

Yeah me to, zero issues, great plugins. Personally it's brain dead easy, and those who have issues must be, well brain dead, I can't see how it could be easier.

And as for WUP, what's the issue?, you don't need it, ever. Waves plugs rarely have an issue that needs fixing outside 12 months in my experience, rarely ever inside 12 months, if you don't want to WUP don't, if you do, go for it, sometimes you'll get an extra plug or 2 for your troubles. Even if you don't WUP, your plugins will still get the updates, it's just the major jumps you wont get, ie 10 - 11

As for the single computer only? for phucks sake, ever heard of a USB Flash drive? install your licenses on that, then install your plugins on as many computers as you like, just plug in your flash drive to the relevant PC, in that sense not much different to a lot of vendors EULA, old Cakewalk/SONAR included [edit] and it seems CbB, see below[/edit], install on x amount of machines, but only use 1 at a time.

A number of people reported issues from v9 to v10 where v9 would no longer work and the "help" tutorials of what to do did not fix the issue.  I agree those plugins "should" work as long as the VST standard still works.   This issue is WAVES has a proven track record of that not exactly playing out, and they will not provide support unless you WUP.

Those older plugins should work, no doubt about it....and it is easy to sit back and say "was fine for me"  but when you have other techonolgoy professionals that tried all the options outside of a computer reformat - it indicates there can be problems.

I use a flashdrive model for my WAVES plugs.   (I have over 20 of them) but it is very annoying having to turn on a computer, connect it to the internet, login to WAVES, Move the USB, Same Process for other machine.   Then transfer them back.  If you work between machines (sometimes more than one in a day), it is a time waster and many people decide they either buy another seat, or they stop using them to avoid that non-sense.   Even most ilok companys (sans Exponential Audio) allow 2 authorizations at a time.   And have you ever had a comptuer HD or USB stick fail?   I certianly have over the years.   And just try WAVES support outside of WUP to get you back up and running.  You might get lucky or you might be wating DAYS to get your single seat back in business.      Even when I was covered, I had to wait days to get support, and even more days to get a fix.  With a simple two authorization process - this isn't a problem at all.     There is only one other plugin manufacture I've ever even contacted with a support issue in over 15 years.

You are also dependent on the internet for this process.   I've certianly had times where I need to authorize to a different machine but couldn't due to an internet outtage, and I live in a very well populated area..  ..and not evenone has the free usb ports on the extra computer, so the process will typically involve using the USB as a transfer device...moving the transfer to the USB then to the Computer, then back to the USB.     Same deal with ilok.

For a  class leading company....they have room to improve.  

We are talking about paying customers here, not criminals.  

If you want to stand buy you won't need to WUP ever statement, I have some v9 plugs that won't work if you want to send me some cash.  

I will say v10 and v11 have been working fine overall since the v11 Waves Central.  v10 Waves central was very buggy across 10 computers, and was not dependable to install and authorize,  many hours of frustration for what should have been very simple install and authrize process.  Not one computer....10 .   

Edited by Brian Walton
  • Like 2

sorry, just my 2c - even though I don't respect EVERY opinion (Trump, I'm looking at you !) - I think it's fine to dislike software plugins, brands of software protection dongles, DAW software, plugin update policies - Macs or PC - country music (!) ....whatever.  We're just musicians (in the main), looking to make some music.  We don't need to start calling people names or upsetting people, it's not nice and unnecessary.  

This is the only forum I like - because the people on here are great (in the main!) probably because of Larry's benign leadership - so let's ALL try to keep it that way......

(anyway back to my IKM product manager hate postings !) :)

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, simon said:

sorry, just my 2c - even though I don't respect EVERY opinion (Trump, I'm looking at you !) - I think it's fine to dislike software plugins, brands of software protection dongles, DAW software, plugin update policies - Macs or PC - country music (!) ....whatever.  We're just musicians (in the main), looking to make some music.  We don't need to start calling people names or upsetting people, it's not nice and unnecessary.  

This is the only forum I like - because the people on here are great (in the main!) probably because of Larry's benign leadership - so let's ALL try to keep it that way......

Haven't tried the new IKM product manager.

Wondering when/if I'll be forced to.

That said, at least IKM allows someithg like 9 authorizations before you would have to contact support and tell them what you are up to switching machines all the time.   

Would it destroy your world to find out someone who you don't respect every opinion of also hates the IKM manager.   Maybe you should  hit him up on Twitter to find out if he is in agreement on this very important topic.  

Edited by Brian Walton
  • Haha 1

It is a fact that Waves have an idiosyncratic way of installing their plug-ins. They put "shell" loaders all over the place, then the individual plug-ins are loaded from within the shell. They don't give the user a choice of whether they want to install the 32-bit shell loader, the AAX loader, etc.

No matter how much one likes the plug-ins themselves, this does incur costs. For instance, my notebook computer has a single 250G SSD, and every MB counts. Every stupid AAX plug-in that some installer puts in is another step toward me having to replace the damn thing.

For 32-bit plug-ins, it has a double cost, which is that DAW's like Cakewalk that have built-in bridging systems automatically enumerate every plug-in on startup, which slows down their startup time.

I'm not singling out Waves here, A|A|S and Meldaproduction are two of my favorite plug-in houses and they are hilariously guilty of shoveling useless nervous nellie versions of their plug-ins all over the place when all I want is 64-bit VST3's.

My Waves FX plug-ins I can take or leave, but my favorite soft synth of all is Element 2. I choose to suck up the idiosyncratic install/licensing method. They've flowed me plenty of freebies. I like the USB dongle vs. iLok. If it breaks, Waves support have a policy where they will grant you a "scout's honor" restoration, I think you can do that once, or once a year or something. It has its drawbacks, I was mixing on my laptop sitting up in bed and it wound up buried in the covers for a couple of days. Fortunately, I have critical licenses installed on the HD of my main DAW.

A few years back, I had just a couple of Waves plug-ins, and somehow they lost the script and every time my DAW started up they would ask me for the location of their own folder over and over and over. They fixed that in v.10.

Using their product comes with the annoyance/drawback of having those shells all over the place, but I suck it up because the product is useful. I completely understand that some might not find the cost:benefit ratio as favorable. It's not "brain dead," it's well-considered. I'm with @mibby on that. If having a bunch of crap all over your hard disk is more of a bother than the joy of being able to use a certain company's take on a compressor or delay (Waves ain't been that big on "unique" so far), then screw it. I used to use TrueVerb, but now I have Phoenix, which smokes it.

I'm also with @ensconced in that I don't get what the big deal is that people have with the WUP. Sure, most plug-in houses seem to have a default "lifetime" update, but my Waves plug-ins are very stable, don't cause trouble, I don't care if I'm on version 10 of TrueVerb, which is never going to be updated anyway (except to say version 11 in the about box). There seems to be this fear that once the update plan expires they'll stop working or something. Has yet to happen for me. I think I once paid them about $14 to re-up my WUP because they actually made some meaningful changes to the antique plug-ins I have, but that was a special case. Don't worry about it and enjoy your plug-ins that have been working great. They'll still work great "out of warranty." It's like shopping at Best Buy, just politely tell the salesperson you decline the extended warranty.

12 minutes ago, simon said:

Edit your post. No politics.  I'm looking at you!

1 minute ago, Brian Walton said:

Haven't tried the new IKM product manager.

Wondering when/if I'll be forced to.

That said, at least IKM allows someithg like 9 authorizations before you would have to contact support and tell them what you are up to switching machines all the time.   

Would it destroy your world to find out someone who you don't respect every opiion of also hates the IKM manager.   Maybe you shoudl hit him up on Twitter to find out if he is in agreement on this very important topic.  

You should try it. Now they allow deauthorization.  Also what needs to be updated.

1 minute ago, Paul Young said:

You should try it. Now they allow deauthorization.  Also what needs to be updated.

I'm sure I will.   Just want to let the water settle before I subject my system to it.   This is one where I've heard some not so plesent expereinces out of the gate.   I do like an option for deauthorization.   Though if local only, that has its own challenges.  

Did they get rid of the install everyting model?  That is pretty lame.   But I do like the plugins I do own that they make.  

Just now, Brian Walton said:

I'm sure I will.   Just want to let the water settle before I subject my system to it.   This is one where I've heard some not so plesent expereinces out of the gate.   I do like an option for deauthorization.   Though if local only, that has its own challenges.  

Did they get rid of the install everyting model?  That is pretty lame.   But I do like the plugins I do own that they make.  

It's harmless. 

• Like 1

On 8/23/2020 at 3:10 AM, Wookiee said:

Please remember to keep politics, how ever small the subject maybe, out of these forums. thank you.

Yes. I know it was harmless, but once we go past the 'Event Horizon' with politics... there's never ever any going back. So we got to keep it ALL out!!!

• Great Idea 3