Waves Bezerk Free (again and again)

Wibbles

I like to decide what plugins I install and where. Last time I used Waves Central it didn't let me do that. I thought I was installing one plugin but found there were six different versions installed with files scattered across my hard drive seemingly at random. Why the hell do I want with 32 bit versions of plugins? Bollocks to that.

After you uninstall Waves Central you still have to go through the process of manually deleting files in various different locations that were left behind by the uninstall process. Not good.

Has anything changed in the two years since I last used it?

Whether the plugins are any good or not is irrelevant to me. There are plenty of other options out there without the hassle. And what came with SONAR Platinum more than covers my modest needs effects-wise. 

• Great Idea 1

11 minutes ago, Wibbles said:

I like to decide what plugins I install and where. Last time I used Waves Central it didn't let me do that. I thought I was installing one plugin but found there were six different versions installed with files scattered across my hard drive seemingly at random. Why the hell do I want with 32 bit versions of plugins? Bollocks to that.

After you uninstall Waves Central you still have to go through the process of manually deleting files in various different locations that were left behind by the uninstall process. Not good.

Has anything changed in the two years since I last used it?

Whether the plugins are any good or not is irrelevant to me. There are plenty of other options out there without the hassle. And what came with SONAR Platinum more than covers my modest needs effects-wise. 

Interface changed in the last 2 years, but I think your general distaste for it will remain.  Especially that uninstall part.

It has been more reliable than in the past.  

I think they make good sounding stuff and own a number of them.  However, I try to actually avoid using them and my experience suggests they can't be used or trusted long term without the absurd WUP.  

Edited by Brian Walton
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Wibbles said:

I think it's a side effect of creating their own way of installation and authorization method. The whole process apparently had been received as convoluted and in consequence they had to go through a mass support work, that's why now they try to cover as much cases as possible with one installation. For us of course no good. Why not go the proven path as the others do and save themself extra hassle.

Edited by chris.r
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, chris.r said:

I think it's a side effect of creating their own way of installation and authorization method. The whole process apparently had been received as convoluted and in consequence they had to go through a mass support work, that's why now they try to cover as much cases as possible with one installation. For us of course no good. Why not go the proven path the others do and save themself extra hassle.

They used to have iLok as an option.  Can't blame them from moving from that however many others  have chosen much better systems as the alternative.

They have a big marketing budget they have to support/pay for.   

I've had more problems with WAVES than any other software I can think of off the top of my head.  

• Like 1

Indeed. I bought my first (and last) Wave plugins a few months ago. I was shocked that I could only install them on one of the two computers I use. I've got collections from Arturia, iZotope, IK, and lots of one-offs from various vendors large and small and had never run into a "you can install this on a single computer, and that's it" situation. 

• Like 1

On 8/20/2020 at 3:38 AM, RSMcGuitar said:

Interesting... I find waves central works pretty great these days.

On 8/20/2020 at 3:52 AM, Grem said:

Me too. And really  like their plugins.

Yeah me to, zero issues, great plugins. Personally it's brain dead easy, and those who have issues must be, well brain dead, I can't see how it could be easier.

And as for WUP, what's the issue?, you don't need it, ever. Waves plugs rarely have an issue that needs fixing outside 12 months in my experience, rarely ever inside 12 months, if you don't want to WUP don't, if you do, go for it, sometimes you'll get an extra plug or 2 for your troubles. Even if you don't WUP, your plugins will still get the updates, it's just the major jumps you wont get, ie 10 - 11

As for the single computer only? for phucks sake, ever heard of a USB Flash drive? install your licenses on that, then install your plugins on as many computers as you like, just plug in your flash drive to the relevant PC, in that sense not much different to a lot of vendors EULA, old Cakewalk/SONAR included [edit] and it seems CbB, see below[/edit], install on x amount of machines, but only use 1 at a time.

CAKEWALK by BANDLAB
LICENSE AGREEMENT

REV 04.2018

YOU SHOULD CAREFULLY READ ALL OF THE FOLLOWING TERMS AND CONDITIONS BEFORE USING THIS PRODUCT. INSTALLING AND USING THE PRODUCT INDICATES YOUR ACCEPTANCE OF THESE TERMS AND CONDITIONS. IF YOU DO NOT AGREE WITH THEM, YOU SHOULD PROMPTLY RETURN THE PRODUCT UNUSED AND YOUR MONEY WILL BE REFUNDED.

1. GRANT OF LICENSE. In consideration of the covenants contained herein, BandLab ("BandLab" or the "Licensor") grants to you, the Licensee, a non-exclusive license to have one person use the Cakewalk by BandLab software product (the "Product") on one personal computer at a time. If you want to use the Product on more than one personal computer at a time, or if you want to network the Product, you must obtain separate licenses from BandLab. This license does not grant you any right to any enhancement or update to the Product. Enhancements and updates, if available, may be obtained by you at BandLab's then current terms and conditions. Product may automatically connect to server and verify if updates are available and notify Licensee of such updates. Internet connection is required to verify account status. If the Product is installed on computer not connected to the internet, BandLab will provide offline authorization options.

Edited by ensconced

2 hours ago, ensconced said:

Yeah me to, zero issues, great plugins. Personally it's brain dead easy, and those who have issues must be, well brain dead

And those who don't understand what the issues some people have must also be , well ... you get the rest. :P

Edited by Wibbles
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, ensconced said:

As for the single computer only? for phucks sake, ever heard of a USB Flash drive? install your licenses on that, then install your plugins on as many computers as you like, just plug in your flash drive to the relevant PC, in that sense not much different to a lot of vendors EULA, old Cakewalk/SONAR included [edit] and it seems CbB, see below[/edit], install on x amount of machines, but only use 1 at a time.

Yeah, I'm familiar with the concept of a USB flash drive. That's the thing that most of the major companies don't require you to carry around with you wherever you go. It's also the thing that can easily get lost, wander off, or simply die of its own accord (being made of the finest Chinesium), potentially taking your licenses with it. The good companies let you install and run their crap on 2, 5, or more computers. Yes, you're only licensed to run their software on a single machine at any given moment -- which is fine, most of us are rarely ever in two places simultaneously -- but wherever you go it's there, ready to be used.

I mean, I suppose I should be thankful for small favors. It's probably only a matter of time until Waves goes to an irritating two-factor-authentication system like everything else. (Heavily 'encouraged' by Apple & Google, no doubt. Remember when you could use a website or your email without needing to own and carry a freakin' smartphone wherever you go? All part and parcel of the grand Make All The Things Suck strategy so beloved by our tech overlords.)

• Like 2