all original tracks show up in the mix on new tracks

RANDALL GOUGH

Question

Sorry if the title is a little vague. I didn't know how to explain in a few short works.

I am new to Cakewalk and am having some teething pains.  Here is my problem at the moment...

I record drums on the first track.

I play guitar on the second track but that second track also includes what I recorded in track 1.

I then do a vocal on a third track and get all three tracks showing up on the third track.

Ideally what I want is to have each track isolated so I can adjust volumes, equalization etc.

What am I doing wrong

4 answers to this question

In general, it helps to provide information about your hardware and OS.

In this case some details about the hardware used to record the audio and how the signal is being monitored may help isolate what is bleeding into the other tracks.

If there is a "What you hear" setting on whatever device is playing back the audio this can be the problem.

Sometimes users with mixers accidentally route some of the playback back to the recording track(s).

1 minute ago, RANDALL GOUGH said:

I'm using a Steinberg UR22 interface on a Windows 10 computer

Settings for each track as shown below. 

image.png.30909bcfa605d4213e2eb9cfad4df683.png

Essentially this boils down to what you have set for your inputs and where your signal flow is going. Look at what you have for your inputs and how that's receiving signal. if you're using a Steinberg interface, make sure you have Cakewalk set to use the proper ASIO driver for it in the Preferences.