Laughter and Tears - NOW with less top

daryl1968

On 8/18/2020 at 10:04 AM, garybrun said:

Well done.
I hear the improvements  🙂

Thanks for the heads up mate

On 8/18/2020 at 11:44 AM, Douglas Kirby said:

I enjoyed the song Daryl - your music has a unique quality to it - you have your own style. I liked the sections where you did the radio tone vocal parts - that worked well.

Overall I liked the mix - cheers.

Thanks a lot Doug

On 8/18/2020 at 12:10 PM, Grem said:

As I listened I kept thinking of the eighties band that sounded like that, and when Nigel mentioned this band, I was like, "Yep! That's what I'm hearing."

I like the instrument choices and how well they blended together. Clean mix. Good song too!

I got a few songs that I think are real 'heartfelt' too. May post a few so you won't feel all alone. : )

Thanks Grem - I'll take Squeeze as a comparison.  Please do post - I need as much support as I can get :)

• Like 1

On 8/18/2020 at 12:59 PM, Starise said:

I notice from listening to much of your other material that you and your wife make a great team. I could hear her maybe singing some kind of reply or response to the existing lyrics. Even without her singing it's a nice thoughtful tune with a nice positive message well written and recorded!

Thanks Tim - she's in there on this one - backing vocals on the chorus. She is a proper singer - I'm just a hack :)

On 8/18/2020 at 5:35 PM, Wookiee said:

Not a bad little love song Daryl, you have obviously RTFM the married manual 🤔

Absolutely Wookster. 

Page 1, rule #1 = learn the words 'yes dear'

On 8/18/2020 at 6:06 PM, Lynn said:

Brilliant!  So consistent!

:) thanks so much Lynn - very much appreciated

On 8/18/2020 at 8:06 PM, Bapu said:

Eggshellint mates.

thanks gorgeous

• Haha 1

On 8/18/2020 at 9:06 PM, Amicus717 said:

Sounds great, Daryl.

I didn't hear the previous mix of this, so all I can comment on is the new "less top" version, and it sounds good my ears. Clear and clean, and a nice spacious mix. 

Really good stuff, well-performed!

Rob

Thanks so much Rob

On 8/19/2020 at 5:12 PM, DeeringAmps said:

Sounds good in car!

t

cool - good to know - thanks Tom

On 8/19/2020 at 8:30 PM, freddy j said:

Terrific lyrics - you are lucky to have your wife but I bet your wife might feel she has a good deal of luck in having you.  I'm always a big fan of your vocals and harmony.  I did not hear the "toppy" version but this "top less" (strike that and reverse it) sounds top notch!

Thanks Freddy - I got the better end of the deal :) 

I prefer top-less ;)

On 8/20/2020 at 11:22 AM, Sabby Brown said:

As a big fan of yours all I can say is 'Brilliant' !

Thanks so much Sabby. You're very kind mate. 

On 8/20/2020 at 6:32 PM, bjornpdx said:

Daryl

Another song in your inimitable style. No need to apologize or feel embarrassed for lovey dovey lyrics as long as they're sincere and heartfelt.

They are. Thanks so much Bjorn

On 8/21/2020 at 4:43 AM, emeraldsoul said:

I 100% thought "those are Squeeze-like chord changes!" but all your own original style, natch. Squeeze was a great band I thought and I hope that's a compliment - I always appreciated their willingness to break conventions and rules in things like chord selections, melodies, and arrangements.

That's what this song has going for it in spades - plus another excellent mix with clarity and separation. Loved it.

cheers,

-Tom

Thanks Tom my mate - I'll take Squeeze. 

On 8/21/2020 at 11:39 AM, garybrun said:

I also thought Squeeze,

I'll take that - thanks Gary

On 8/22/2020 at 8:15 PM, David Sprouse said:

you are the master of the *couplet*.  The time is out of joint, O cursed spite
That ever I was born to set it right!  I'm glad you found love and have been together so long.    My parents are working on the 64th year together.   

wow 64 years - fantastic. Thanks for the listen David :)

On 8/27/2020 at 11:44 PM, Bapu said:

Didn't we agreed you are the gorgeous one and I'm the quiet one?

I thought we agreed that I was the one with the nice organ and you were the one with an impressive bottom end...

• 4 weeks later...
11 hours ago, Jesse Screed said:

This is cool

I like all the stretching

a song about dichotomous reality

keep on playing with that

a lucky two          you both

liked it

thanks Q my mate

9 hours ago, Kevin Walsh said:

Slick, sophisticated, clever and skillfully rendered. As always! The thing I love about your music is the variety of things that beep, squonk and whistle in the spaces of the melody, and I often wonder how you made those sounds.

You have talent and skill and it's on full display here.

ha - thanks so much Kevin - you've made my day mate.  I do like a good squonk!   :)