Roll back in punch recording

Dobrodave

Question

Hi, i am new to this community and changed to cakewalk after failing with the free ProtoolsFirst DAW.

My question is how do I  hear a few bars of the previously  recorded audio, not just metronome, before the punch in point?

thanks

Dobrodave

5 answers to this question

If you mean hear audio on the track you are recording to then you might have to enable "sound on sound" mode of recording by right clicking on the record button. 

If you mean other tracks then they should be playing all the time. Just set the playback head a few bars ahead of the punch in point or set a loop region larger then the punch in point

Hi thanks for your answer, I was meaning hearing audio on the track I'm recording and i think that would work except I need to not make any noise over the lead in. On Protools you can tell it to play a few bars and then it switches to record mode when you reach your punch in point, so it won't record over the bars preceding the new recording.

thanks

dave

One way to  quickly que playback a few bars before recording is that I assign a keybind   (   ctrl <  to move back 1 measure  and I set ctrl > to forward 1 measure. It becomes second nature and allows quick short movements. For other ques I use markers and set them a few bars ahead of basic punch points ( verses, chorus,  bridge  etc.