can cakewalk use a graphics card?

Oscar Garzon

^ He put it very well. Better CPU, RAM, SSD, Audio drivers and Hardware. That will help more when it comes to audio processing. Asking a graphics card to help with audio will be like walking with your hands. Sure you could walk with your hands, but they are not made for it. That's what feet are for. 😛

^^ GPU RAM would only be useful for the rendering of an audio file. The latency for real-time playback would fall short in most cases. Reducing CPU load/increasing RAM are better to focus on for real-time usage, and will also depend on the intended results. Example, if not tracking, increasing buffer allows for audio to be processed and assembled for playback when CPU-heavy plugins are in the mix.

For the OP, it may be easier to explain your situation and issues. Most folks here have probably already experienced it and can offer solutions.

I remember several years ago, GPUs were going to be the next big thing in audio FX processing.  There was a startup called BionicFX that was developing a software package, AVEX, that would render audio plugins on your GPU.  This was back in the early to mid 2000s and if recall,  AGP based video cards were the new tech that would enable this.

Anyway, it never did amount to anything and the company disappeared.  As far as I know, nobody has attempted it since.

50 minutes ago, Bill Ruys said:

I remember several years ago, GPUs were going to be the next big thing in audio FX processing.  There was a startup called BionicFX that was developing a software package, AVEX, that would render audio plugins on your GPU.  This was back in the early to mid 2000s and if recall,  AGP based video cards were the new tech that would enable this.

Anyway, it never did amount to anything and the company disappeared.  As far as I know, nobody has attempted it since.

It failed probably because it's weird for a GPU to do all this kinda stuff. I know It has VRAM and all that, but it's as weird as joystick ports on old sound cards.

I thought i could use the gpu to help me with this "cinematic braams" orchestral instrument from Msoundfactory but when i try to edit in piano roll and hold down my mouse button to drag out music, i get an audio engine dropout. 

its a audio engine dropout (1) and it said i should increase the buffer size which i did. I did to the max. i still can't fix it. So you can't hold down mouse button and quickly make notes on cakewalk with any instrument or you can?

here's a preview. maybe lower down volume when you watch video.

• Confused 1

im primarily focused on using audio and MIDI loops and entering MIDI data using step recording or directly into the Piano Roll View, Staff View or Step Sequencer.

Not planning on  recording audio or MIDI from external devices such as a microphone, musical instrument or MIDI keyboard

16 minutes ago, martsave martin s said:

you already try it? if not try it,to see if you still get drop-out

well, i dont get audio engine dropout but my orchestral gets distorted when i try to create notes quickly while holding down mouse button. then the audio dissapears. i press spacebar to start music and i have to press spacebar 3 times cause it pauses like 3 times before it can playback

Edited by Oscar Garzon