Pfft - it's not even in the Merriam Webster dictionary

SteveStrummerUK

I found an online listing for Pffft:

Now, the actual meaning of the these strangely aligned consonants... "Pffft" can convey a sense of annoyance (think of an eyeroll), a general smugness or disbelief in someone else's abilities or the possibly of something occurring, a general lack of care or concern, etc.    Aug 16, 2015

Not sure if the UK and US spellings are the same.  😛

• Haha 1

15 hours ago, craigb said:

Actually, what really shocks me is that "gullible" isn't in the dictionary! 😮

I see what you did there. (Almost looked it up!)  😂

Pfft. An onomatopoeic interjection representing a sudden cessation, disappearance, or ending (of something). (Meant to simulate the sound of something disappearing in a puff of smoke.)

Edited by JohnG
  • Great Idea 1

By far, the funniest dictionary gaff I've ever heard came from one that everyone had at a company I worked for which, I think, WAS one from Merriam Webster!  It was a generic, small, red paperback type that most offices gave to their employees back then (mid-80's).

Someone told a joke which, literally, could have been this one: "How do you circumcise a shark?  Four skin-divers! (Foreskin divers!)"  There was a guy who's primary language wasn't English listening and he grabs the dictionary to look up one of the words.  He finds one, then flips the pages to another, then flips back and looks up puzzled.  Turns out, all the dictionary had as the definition for "foreskin" was "The prepuce." and all it had as the definition for "prepuce" was "The foreskin."  Hilarious!

With that kind of logic all you need to do is make up two words that point to each other to get into the dictionary.

"Bapu" --> "Unfunny"

"Unfunny" --> "Bapu"

See? 😁

• Haha 1