Midi to audio problem

Robbie Nelson

Trying to mix midi tracks into a single audio track (for exporting as mp3).
I created an audio track, but input options only show microphone interface.
How do I set it to record the  output of the midi tracks
I'm not using virtual instruments, just the soundcard sounds.
Thanks anyone who can help.

MIDI tracks do not create any sounds on their own.

They are like sheet music for a MIDI  instrument to play. When MIDI is played through an instrument, it generates audio output that can be recorded onto an audio track. But without that instrument playing that MIDI data, there is no sound to output to an audio track.

Check out this 12 min video that explains this clearly:

Edited by abacab

Thanks Abacab. I know all about midi. Been using it for 20 years.
I just need to record what the midi plays (through the soundcard) onto a new audio track. Just can't figure out how to get the sounds to the input. :-(
The video is great, and at 7;45 he states what I am trying to do, but doesn't say how to do it in Cakewalk.

Edited by Robbie Nelson

Is it really the sound card generating the sound or the Microsoft GS Wavetable synth? If it is the sound card, what card is it? If using the Microsoft GS Wavetable synth consider adding the TTS-1 soft synth and an audio track to the project. Set the MIDI output to TTS-1 and the audio input to TTS-1.

50 minutes ago, Robbie Nelson said:

Thanks Abacab. I know all about midi. Been using it for 20 years.
I just need to record what the midi plays (through the soundcard) onto a new audio track. Just can't figure out how to get the sounds to the input. :-(
The video is great, and at 7;45 he states what I am trying to do, but doesn't say how to do it in Cakewalk.

Sorry about that. It wasn't clear from your initial post what your background was, so I figured a quick refresher never hurt!

Here is a video that shows how to insert the TTS-1 synth in Cakewalk, and set up the track routing.

Fast forward to 1:30 to dive right in!

Not directly, it is a hardware synth. The audio card needs to have some way to route the audio out back to the inputs (maybe "What you Hear" setting). While the GS Wavetable synth is convenient for playing MIDI for best results in CbB use TTS-1.

• Thanks 1

37 minutes ago, Robbie Nelson said:

Thanks for the help Abacab and Scook. That worked! 
I enabled the TTS and now I can record the tracks onto audio.
As a follow up, isn't there a way of routing the GS Wavetable synth to the input? 

That is the worse sounding synth ever made. Why would you want to use it when there are tons of great sounding synths all over the place? 

There also sample synths such as Dimension Pro or Kontakt. 

2 hours ago, John said:

Really, if that is your goal then carry on.

GySgt. Emil Foley: Mayo, I want your D.O.R.
Zack Mayo: No, sir. You can kick me outta here, but I ain't quitting.
GySgt. Emil Foley: Get into your fatigues, Mayo. By the end of this weekend, you'll quit.

• Haha 1

If you like sampled children's toys, you need to check out Kinetic Treats for Kontakt and Kontakt Player by Native Instruments. It has a toy xylophone, toy train, and a fisher price record player, all in an animated interface that you can mix and morph together. All high quality samples but you can mix them as cheesy or as cheery as you like!

https://www.gearnews.com/kinetic-treats-free-toys-native-instruments/

This was a holiday freebie a few years ago for a limited time, but is available for free once again  as part of the new free Komplete Start bundle which contains 6 synthesizers, 9 sampled instruments, 2 effects, Komplete Kontrol, Kontakt Player, and Reaktor Player.

Nice bundle of instruments for free! https://www.native-instruments.com/en/products/komplete/bundles/komplete-start/included-products/

Edited by abacab