Saving a bundle file - always shows Save As dialog

Gatters

When I start a new project and then save as a bundle, some weird things happen

1. After I've saved the file, it asks me if I want to save my changes to "Untitled.cwp".  No, of course I don't - I've just saved the file for the first time to the format I want - I don't know why the untitled version even still exists at this point.  Minor issue, as I just say "No" and move on, but it's still annoying
  2. This one is more disruptive.  Every time I now save my bundle file, I get the Save As dialog.  In order to save my changes and keep working I have to select my existing file and confirm that I want to overwrite it, exactly as if I had actually selected Save As.  What's that all about?

I'd be grateful for any help with this!

8 hours ago, Gatters said:

When I start a new project and then save as a bundle, some weird things happen

1. After I've saved the file, it asks me if I want to save my changes to "Untitled.cwp".  No, of course I don't - I've just saved the file for the first time to the format I want - I don't know why the untitled version even still exists at this point.  Minor issue, as I just say "No" and move on, but it's still annoying
  2. This one is more disruptive.  Every time I now save my bundle file, I get the Save As dialog.  In order to save my changes and keep working I have to select my existing file and confirm that I want to overwrite it, exactly as if I had actually selected Save As.  What's that all about?

I'd be grateful for any help with this!

Bundle files were not meant to be used as a working project format. It was meant to "bundle" up a complete project with the associated audio to share, move or archive. You should use the standard .cwp format for continuous work and saving. 

Bundling is provided for backward compatibility.

When per-project audio folders were introduced almost 18 years ago, bundles became redundant.

• Bundles do provide a single file for sharing but it is little different than using zip (without compression) on a project folder created with "Save As." The main difference is zip files are more robust than bundles.
  • Moving a project is a simple OS operation using Windows Explorer.
  • Bundles are far to brittle for backup or archive. "Save As" creates a folder containing the same content as a bundle without the added risk of reformatting the data.

There has been one case I recall over the last 18 years where bundling provided a uniquely useful function...repairing projects damaged by a bug in Autosnap. The bug was fixed years ago.