Wasted Years

garybrun

Wasted Years I wrote when I was around 19 years old. (57 now)
Some basic tuning issues with the vocal but I've uploaded as a record for later, too come back too and fix.

Value your opinions so far.

Thanks

Gary

4/4 60BPM
Chords C,F,G,D.

Not so long ago I came to you 
With doubts troubles and fears.
That’s when you opened up my eyes.
I soon realized all those wasted years
When I could have know you more.
I remember on that day
When I met you in a personal way
All the new things I could see.
Oh how my outlook changed
My life you rearranged
Such a purpose you gave to me.

But I say help me Lord
Please help me Lord
The days seem short and the nights so long
I say help me Lord
Please help me Lord
You know I don’t wanna do wrong
That beautiful seed you’ve sown
Lord I know its grown
But it needs water every day from you.
And that bible by my bed
Not now so often read
Just gathers dust on the chair.
SO now I must confess
My feelings of unholiness
I feel I’m drifting away
Seems so natural to do
Too drift and hut you
Such a great battle within.

But I say help me Lord
Please help me Lord
The days seem short and the nights so long
I say help me Lord
Please help me Lord
You know I don’t wanna do wrong

When lying in my bed one day
I heard a quite but still voice say
My child you are so precious to me
And as those tears flowed
When deep inside my heat glowed.
Knowing you would  never turn your back on me.
I want to learn to love you more
Worship and adore
Soak up your Spirit more each day.
Thank you for making me thine
Grafting me back onto the vine
What more can I say?

But thank you Lord
I thank you Lord
For all the gifts you’ve given to me
Yes I thank you Lord
Thank you Lord
There’s a place waiting for me
In eternity..

Edited by garybrun
  • Like 4

Nice one! I like the vocal and how it sits with the arrangement. Very calming.

I think the mixing of the vocal could be looked at in context - the elec piano (excellent) is pretty dry, there's just a touch of reverb on the drums,  there's a bit more on the guitar panned left - so overall, pretty dry and cleanly mixed. But the vocal by contrast seems very effected, and very retro with maybe some old dynamic mic? I dunno. I'd vote for less vocal reverb (or delay?) so it can match the mix. It's almost like you are one vocal processor removal away from having a clean, nicely matching vocal. If that makes sense.

But please consider a de-esser on the vocal, although if you back off on a compressor, you might not need a de-esser.

I have always really liked your mixes and I'm sure you know what you are doing . . .

I think if I remember correctly you are from Norway? Apologies if I misremember. But you have a really excellent take here and a great feel for the "1970's Americana country western" vibe. Plus it kind of sounds like Elvis! Pretty cool pulling this off!

cheers, 

-Tom

• Great Idea 1

6 hours ago, emeraldsoul said:

Nice one! I like the vocal and how it sits with the arrangement. Very calming.

I think the mixing of the vocal could be looked at in context - the elec piano (excellent) is pretty dry, there's just a touch of reverb on the drums,  there's a bit more on the guitar panned left - so overall, pretty dry and cleanly mixed. But the vocal by contrast seems very effected, and very retro with maybe some old dynamic mic? I dunno. I'd vote for less vocal reverb (or delay?) so it can match the mix. It's almost like you are one vocal processor removal away from having a clean, nicely matching vocal. If that makes sense.

But please consider a de-esser on the vocal, although if you back off on a compressor, you might not need a de-esser.

I have always really liked your mixes and I'm sure you know what you are doing . . .

I think if I remember correctly you are from Norway? Apologies if I misremember. But you have a really excellent take here and a great feel for the "1970's Americana country western" vibe. Plus it kind of sounds like Elvis! Pretty cool pulling this off!

cheers, 

-Tom

Thanks so much for taking the time to listen Tom
I was working on this to 4am this morning... so I will upload a new version soon.
It was to get the ideas down and get other feedback.
Thanks for the EXCELLENT feedback ... really appreciated,
Version 2 soon.

6 minutes ago, Douglas Kirby said:

I liked the song Gary - I would have added vocal harmonies on the "Help Me Lords" and "Thank You Lords" if it were my song - just my two cents.

Impressive lyrics - nice job there.

Thanks for listening Douglas.
Back ground vocals is the plan  🙂

I formed a new band  "Gary & The Norwegians" a few days ago... so wanted to get the track together so they can hear it.
Ive got four weeks... 15hrs practice to put a concert on!!!!

Edited by garybrun
  • Like 3

Great song Gary. I agree with Douglas, bg vox would add some dimension to the song. Excellent playing on it. Loved the drums. Electric Piano was played very well also. Good mix as always. I didn't hear any parts that I would do over or correct. You got a good voice that I enjoy listening too. And it sounds like you're from Texas or Tennessee!! : )

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Grem said:

Great song Gary. I agree with Douglas, bg vox would add some dimension to the song. Excellent playing on it. Loved the drums. Electric Piano was played very well also. Good mix as always. I didn't hear any parts that I would do over or correct. You got a good voice that I enjoy listening too. And it sounds like you're from Texas or Tennessee!! : )

Thanks mate as always.

Ive been to Tennessee about 4 times.. so maybe picked up and accent  LOL.
I think its just influences over the years... cant explain it.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Hidden Symmetry said:

Good tune Gary. Hope you work it up with your new band. I imagine it would go over very well performed live.

Thanks for the comments and taking time to listen.
Another practice this Thursday,

A great thing about today is that you can record the songs on the mixer and use them for virtual sound checks so if one person cant make it.. you can still carry on the band practise.  I have 4 weeks to pull this thing off!!

• Like 1

Gary . Great song my friend. Your vocal quality always shines thru. I'll be looking forward to hearing a final version. Best of luck to you with the new band I'm sure you will do well despite the added hardships right now.  Enjoyed it ..  mark     (post something in Norwegian sometime)

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, mark skinner said:

Gary . Great song my friend. Your vocal quality always shines thru. I'll be looking forward to hearing a final version. Best of luck to you with the new band I'm sure you will do well despite the added hardships right now.  Enjoyed it ..  mark     (post something in Norwegian sometime)

Cheers Mark.
Thanks for taking the time to listen and comment.
Will post something in Norwegian soon 🙂

• Like 1

On 8/16/2020 at 11:08 AM, Douglas Kirby said:

I liked the song Gary - I would have added vocal harmonies on the "Help Me Lords" and "Thank You Lords" if it were my song - just my two cents.

Impressive lyrics - nice job there.

^^^^^ this - maybe even a three part harmony on those sections would elevate the song. Good stuff Gary

• Great Idea 1

3 hours ago, Lynn said:

Gary, your vocal on this lovely tune is terrific!  In fact, I think it carries the song.  You've received some good advice, so I'll not add any more.  You are truly a polished singer, and I always enjoy your professionalism.  Kudos!

WOW!  Thanks Lynn... great encouragement.