Making notes sound smoother in PRV

Ruby Gold

Hi there. I'm a newbie and am finding Cakewalk both delicious and very daunting to learn. I've written a melody (outside of CW)  and would like to insert the notes into a  project and build it out into a song. Discovered PRV and am slowly but surely getting the notes in. My question: how do you make the notes blend into one another smoothly rather than sounding like very separate notes, plunked one at a time? Thanks!

This can depend on the synth into which you feed the midi data. In general if you overlap the notes slightly this will make it sound less staccato. However, synths, pianos, virtual instruments often have a legato articulation where it actually slurs (hammer on, pull off, slide pitch bend etc) the note to mimic a human playing the instrument better. These can be triggered by holding down a particular key (called a key switch), the velocity of the note or other midi controls depending on the chosen instrument.

Thanks so much for this reply.   I'm not finding the program intuitive, but it seems so good, that it feels worth the time investment,  however,  I'll have to learn a lot more about these options and how to use them before I can have the facility to use them to the effect I want.

In the CW PRV I just used the native piano sound (which is actually the sound I wanted - not electric piano or other virtual instruments).  Given that, can you tell me where I'd find the key switch and the legato articulation you mentioned?