Arm Single Track to Record by Default

insickness

Is there a way to only allow cakewalk to record on a single track at at time? I almost never record on multiple tracks at a time. So whenever I want to record on a new track, I have to unarm all tracks in the toolbar and then arm the track I want to record in. Seems easy but half the time I end up forgetting to do it and record on a multiple tracks, etc. 

3 hours ago, insickness said:

Thanks for your response, Gustabo. Can you elaborate on what you mean? I use project templates but I still need to disarm and rearm tracks for recording instead of just arming a track for recording. 

Arm or disarm the tracks in your template as wanted and save the template.
If no tracks in your template, create a track, set arm or disarm as needed and save the track as default.

I'm not sure, but it sounds to me like you want the functionality of a radio button such that pressing record in one place turns off all other record buttons that were on.   

Exactly! I mean, do most people record on multiple tracks most of the time? I would think that most of the time when people record, they record on one track at a time. When I'm finished recording drums and I go on to recording a synth or vocals, I shouldn't have to turn off the record button on the drums. Or at least that option should be there in the preferences. 

Edited by insickness

37 minutes ago, insickness said:

Exactly! I mean, do most people record on multiple tracks most of the time? I would think that most of the time when people record, they record on one track at a time. When I'm finished recording drums and I go on to recording a synth or vocals, I shouldn't have to turn off the record button on the drums. Or at least that option should be there in the preferences. 

I don't know if there is such a function; I will defer to others on this.  If there isn't, you could make a Feature Request. I'm not sure how many people record one track at a time (v. multiple tracks).  As for me, I often split Instrument Tracks (soft synths) into their components (MIDI + Audio); sometimes I record both at the same time in separate tracks, sometimes I will just record the MIDI track. For hardware synths where the sound is layered, for me it makes sense to record each synth on its own track.  I have also read that many people record different drums simultaneously using multiple tracks.

Edited by User 905133
to change a word that was ambiguous

I have never in any iteration of my Cakewalk software seen a template where all of the tracks are already armed for recording. You must have set it that way at some point and saved that project or template.
So, open the template in question, disarm all of the tracks and save it again.

I believe it's best practice to check the record button in the Mix module of the Control Panel before engaging a track to record.  If it is lit red that means a track(s) somewhere is/are engaged for recording.  Either click on it or press Ctrl + R to disengage so as to ensure no tracks are armed for recording, then arm the track you want to record.  What you suggest is to have the option for tracks to behave the way Take Lanes behave, ie. you cannot arm multiple Take Lanes of a track for recording.  Seeing that Take Lanes are programmed to work in this way I see no reason why Tracks couldn't have the option to do the same.  Maybe right click the Record button in the Mix Module to choose between 'Record' and 'Exclusive' recording modes?  When in Exclusive mode the button turns into something similar to the Exclusive Solo button?  However I'm so used to checking the Mix Module that I probably wouldn't use it.  I record in mono, stereo and at times multiple tracks at once.  Cheers.

• Like 1

Wow, what answers you guys....

Anyways, what I think the OP means is what Ableton Live calls "exlusive" arm (and solo BTW) which means that if you arm a new track, any other track that  is armed will get 'dis-armed'. This way it takes one command to be ready to record the next thing..

R

• Confused 1

1 hour ago, Rico Belled said:

Wow, what answers you guys....

Anyways, what I think the OP means is what Ableton Live calls "exlusive" arm (and solo BTW) which means that if you arm a new track, any other track that  is armed will get 'dis-armed'. This way it takes one command to be ready to record the next thing..

On 8/15/2020 at 2:14 PM, insickness said:
On 8/15/2020 at 11:08 AM, User 905133 said:

I'm not sure, but it sounds to me like you want the functionality of a radio button such that pressing record in one place turns off all other record buttons that were on.   

Exactly! 

Edited by User 905133
to make the response less "in your face"

• 6 months later...

hey. actually, there is an ARM [UnArm] ALL TRACKS button
just press it before (to disarm all), before selecting a new one. very useful when you're recording different midi tracks while composing
You can activate this button with the module "Mix"

image.png.1948e3d9b95dec2be44e06b134f382cf.png

• Like 1

See the Big red button?  or  Ctrl +R   

This will arm or unarm all tracks- I see a few people got this right. 

Tip of the day- Open the help module and point the mouse at everything in your workspace and take some time to learn what everything does you'll be amazed at how many cool features are right under your nose,,, like the big red button.  

If you don't have the mix module shown in my screen shot,  add it by right clicking the control bar. Modules. 

Screenshot (46).png

Edited by John Vere
  • Like 2

Nice! Ctrl+R is even better (didnt know about this)
btw, I just bought a StreamDeck, and it is a life changer

1 hour ago, John Vere said:

See the Big red button?  or  Ctrl +R   

This will arm or unarm all tracks- I see a few people got this right. 

Tip of the day- Open the help module and point the mouse at everything in your workspace and take some time to learn what everything does you'll be amazed at how many cool features are right under your nose,,, like the big red button.  

If you don't have the mix module shown in my screen shot,  add it by right clicking the control bar. Modules. 

Screenshot (46).png

On 8/15/2020 at 11:12 PM, 57Gregy said:

I have never in any iteration of my Cakewalk software seen a template where all of the tracks are already armed for recording. You must have set it that way at some point and saved that project or template.
So, open the template in question, disarm all of the tracks and save it again.

Same here. I didn't understand the question at all at first. Had to read the answers to understand.

• 2 months later...

What are you talking about, "is this a joke?" If I arm one track and record on it and then go press record on another track, I shouldn't have to disarm the first track I was recording on. Who would want both tracks to be armed for recording? You guys are acting like I'm doing something really weird here. Who records on track one, then moves on to track 2 and presses record and wants to record on both track 1 and track 2 at the same time? 99% of the time, you'll want to record on one track at a time. Am I taking crazy pills? It should be set up by default that if you want to record on multiple tracks at once, you can enable that option or hold the control down to select multiple tracks.