Spitfire and Cakewalk issue

Matt Burnside

• 1 month later...

Hi guys, think there may be a serious issue with what spitfire seems to be doing to my PC. This was happening earlier this year and now I have same problem with another Spitfire plugin.

The worst part about this is after the series of crashes I have got from the plugin when trying to add it to a project it somehow also makes iLok license manager start seeing my computer as a new machine so now I can't use anything. Just been back through my emails about the last time this happened and sure enough the last time iLok had seen the computer was the date I'd installed and had issues with the BBC Orchestra plugin. Now I have the same issue again last week after installing the original felt piano by spitfire and had to use up the second license of all plugins to get up and running. Then to top it off today after these crashes to try and get the logs for the Bandlab employees it's happened again. 

This seems it must be linked to Spitfire as all three occasions are with their plugin crashes in Cakewalk. Has anyone else had this with iLok as it's driving me crazy, now I'll need to get in touch and wait on all the publishers resetting my licenses before I can do anything.

image.thumb.png.6aea322b54865831821c2def0573e4cd.png

• 4 months later...

I just found this thread.

I'm having the same problem with Cakewalk crashing when loading BBC SO Core instruments. This has got worse over time. I can now 'rely' on Cakewalk crashing every time. I've tried uninstalling and reinstalling both Cakewalk and BBC SO but it makes no difference. However, Cakewalk does not crash when I open an older Cakewalk project containing tracks with BBC SO Instruments in them (unfrozen): it only happens when adding a new BBC SO instrument track.

I'm fairly new to all this (I started using Cakewalk when BBC SO Discover was released - that was my first experience with a DAW).

I'm trying to solve the problem by only using the VST2 version of BBC SO. So I used Cakewalk's Plug-in manager to disable the BBCSO VST3 plugin, thinking that would mean when I choose a BBC SO instrument it would use the VST2 version, which I've left enabled in the plug-in manager. But when I try to add a BBC SO VST2 instrument, I can't find BBCSO in the plugins pane. BBC SO does appear in the instrument menu that appears when clicking '+' to create a new track, but selecting it results in a single midi-only track being created.

Can anyone tell me what I'm doing wrong?

Edited by John Denning

I haven't had actual crashes with anything running Spitfires own engine but have had issue where the plugin loads but no sound. This has happened with BBCSO and with the epic series. The spitfire audio app has an option using the cog to reset (rather than use repair) which does the trick for me. Annoying but effective.