Haden

Why Isn't Cakewalk Open Source?

11 minutes ago, Alan Bachman said:

I just hope this cakewalk model is sustainable.  I really want it to last for years.

It will be, as long as BandLab can support it. They are a major company, so I'm not worried. https://bandlabtechnologies.com/

• Thanks 1

cakewalk is dependent on the windows audio stack, game over regarding a linux/unix build

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, pwalpwal said:

cakewalk is dependent on the windows audio stack, game over regarding a linux/unix build

I recall that was an issue for the attempted port of Sonar Platinum to Mac some years back...

37 minutes ago, abacab said:

I recall that was an issue for the attempted port of Sonar Platinum to Mac some years back...

yeah, i think that was a custom version of... wine was it? (some OS wrapper for mac to run win stuff)

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, pwalpwal said:

yeah, i think that was a custom version of... wine was it? (some OS wrapper for mac to run win stuff)

I think it was related to that. Not a full port in any case. It sounded more like a half-assed attempt to kludge the windows audio stack onto it, rather than re-write it for Mac.

And that was back when Cakewalk was still expected to turn a profit for Gibson every year. So no unlimited development budgets, and any Mac port would have needed to sell enough copies to make that effort worthwhile. So in the end, the project never got past the Alpha stage as reality set in...

Edited by abacab