Have YouTube really turned off email notifications?

SteveStrummerUK

Since yesterday, I haven't received a single email from YouTube notifying me that any of the channels I subscribe to has uploaded new videos.

From the YouTube Help webpage:

================================================================

Changes to emails you receive for new video uploads from your subscriptions 

Hi Everyone,

Heads up: If you’re opted in to get emails about new uploads, live streams, and premieres from channels you’re subscribed to, these emails are going away on August 13th, 2020. You’ll still get notified on mobile via the YouTube app, or on desktop via your Chrome browser if you’ve turned these notifications on. If you haven’t turned these on yet, you can do so in notification Settings.

I have to say the reason they give (i.e. a very small number of these emails are actually opened) seems irrelevant to me, as it's easy enough to turn them off if you don't want to receive them. Plus you have to 'opt in' to get them in the first place using the notification bell.

What a pain this is.

YouTube has made it painfully clear that neither the viewers nor the content creators are the customers, as they go out of their way to make the user experience worse for both. *

I'm still annoyed that they removed the ability to organize your subscribed channels into groups (e.g. videogames, music stuff, woodworking, etc.) which is (and was) vital when you have 200+ subscriptions.

* Then again, as they've never turned a profit, and reliably lose $1B/year perhaps customers aren't exactly their goal.

• Like 1
  • Great Idea 1

Why do you expect one of the Ministry of Propaganda's media outlets to care about you? 😆

Jokes aside, I've been very critical of them for moving away from their reason for being (allowing people to upload what they want) and are now pushing so-called mainstream TV especially late-night talkshow hosts that follow the desired narrative.  I'm VERY critical of them censoring like crazy too!  I've got many examples I've saved.  One was a video a friend mentioned that, by the time I got on to check it out, had 23 uploads of it all censored down to two seconds.  Why?  It showed the actual video evidence of something that was the exact opposite of what mainstream media had said.  I now download anything I want to see like that as soon as I can before the auto-bots get to it.  Regarding that same video, the first mention I could find on Google (who now owns YouTube), was on page 8.  This was, at the time, page 1 stuff... 🤬

• Like 2

17 hours ago, craigb said:

Why?  It showed the actual video evidence of something that was the exact opposite of what mainstream media had said. 

Like the one this pair posted? rofl.gif.6e1ad69f3ba5601f07604de04302096e.gif rofl.gif.6e1ad69f3ba5601f07604de04302096e.gif rofl.gif.6e1ad69f3ba5601f07604de04302096e.gif

poster_f8ffaadbb8314a6484fb67dcf0ea3909-

... rofl.gif.6e1ad69f3ba5601f07604de04302096e.gif rofl.gif.6e1ad69f3ba5601f07604de04302096e.gif rofl.gif.6e1ad69f3ba5601f07604de04302096e.gif rofl.gif.6e1ad69f3ba5601f07604de04302096e.gif 

Edited by Wibbles
Added ROFLs just to make it clear.

5 hours ago, SteveStrummerUK said:

Since yesterday, I haven't received a single email from YouTube notifying me that any of the channels I subscribe to has uploaded new videos.

From the YouTube Help webpage:

Changes to emails you receive for new video uploads from your subscriptions 

Hi Everyone,

Heads up: If you’re opted in to get emails about new uploads, live streams, and premieres from channels you’re subscribed to, these emails are going away on August 13th, 2020. You’ll still get notified on mobile via the YouTube app, or on desktop via your Chrome browser if you’ve turned these notifications on. If you haven’t turned these on yet, you can do so in notification Settings.

I have to say the reason they give (i.e. a very small number of these emails are actually opened) seems irrelevant to me, as it's easy enough to turn them off if you don't want to receive them. Plus you have to 'opt in' to get them in the first place using the notification bell.

What a pain this is.

I am also having the same issue. The channels that I subscribed I am also not receving the notifications when ever the new videos uploaded. Is there any way to help with this?

6 hours ago, SteveStrummerUK said:

I have to say the reason they give (i.e. a very small number of these emails are actually opened) seems irrelevant to me, as it's easy enough to turn them off if you don't want to receive them.

Don't know how they would know how many emails are opened - unless they add tracking bugs into their emails.

Anyhoo... I guess email notifications is something that can be added to the graveyard

https://killedbygoogle.com/

19 minutes ago, synkrotron said:

not helping

Well y'see........ craigb is way more cleverer than wot we all are cuz he nearly got a qualification in something or other and can remember lots about pies and also count backwards from 501, therefore he didn't think it was worth telling us about some other stuff because we're all too preoccupied with the contents of our nostrils anyway.

Or something like that.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, paulo said:

Well y'see........ craigb is way more cleverer than wot we all are cuz he nearly got a qualification in something or other and can remember lots about pies and also count backwards from 501, therefore he didn't think it was worth telling us about some other stuff because we're all too preoccupied with the contents of our nostrils anyway.

Or something like that.

'Zactly!