PC Latency issues..

Ludwig Bouwer

PC tweakists of the Recording World, lend me a hand if you please.
I've noticed that my PC has in the last while gotten a little glitchier than it used to be.

Specs are: Win 10 Pro x64
Asus Prime Z270-K board
Intel i7700 3.6Ghz
16GB of DDR4
Seagate SSHD Hybrid drives

Running DPC Latency Checker I'm getting around 1000us without launching anything.
My drivers are all up to date and audio card is RME HDSP9652 PCI, so the driver is not suspect at all.
I have switched all the usual and unusual devices off and back on as much as I dare but with no noticeable improvement.

The machine runs fine but when I play back big projects I get the occasional RAM spike every few minutes and a slight audio drop, then back to normal. Any ideas what could be pushing the latency up so much?

Latency is built up by all the processes that programs make. So, I would go through installed apps and drivers. Maybe there is a new updated app that is using CPU when it’s supposed to be closed. The sad thing about Windows 8/10 nowadays is that they overrun your previous choices of such polities sometimes when apps/drivers upgrade.

You said large project, but you didn't indicate how large, and what type of tracks and effects are being used. So here are a few ideas to find out if it's something specific in your project that is causing a problem. Those system specs appear fine, and should not be having performance issues.

This method will probably work best if your problems are happening consistently, and not at random or only on occasion. If so, that could be a task running in the background that occasionally conflicts with your DAW throughput.

If you temporarily disable all plugins (keyboard shortcut "e"), do the problems go away? Using the shortcut key again will instantly re-enable them. If this worked, then you will need to isolate the greedy plugin by disabling them all, and then enabling them one at a time until it glitches again.

If not, try temporarily freezing any instrument tracks in the project. You can unfreeze them one at a time with one click each.

If freezing tracks works to correct the issue, you may have a greedy  virtual instrument hogging your system. You may be able to isolate the offender by enabling instrument tracks one at a time until the symptoms return.

Edited by abacab
  • Like 1
  • Great Idea 1

14 hours ago, abacab said:

You said large project, but you didn't indicate how large, and what type of tracks and effects are being used. So here are a few ideas to find out if it's something specific in your project that is causing a problem. Those system specs appear fine, and should not be having performance issues.

This method will probably work best if your problems are happening consistently, and not at random or only on occasion. If so, that could be a task running in the background that occasionally conflicts with your DAW throughput.

If you temporarily disable all plugins (keyboard shortcut "e"), do the problems go away? Using the shortcut key again will instantly re-enable them. If this worked, then you will need to isolate the greedy plugin by disabling them all, and then enabling them one at a time until it glitches again.

If not, try temporarily freezing any instrument tracks in the project. You can unfreeze them one at a time with one click each.

If freezing tracks works to correct the issue, you may have a greedy  virtual instrument hogging your system. You may be able to isolate the offender by enabling instrument tracks one at a time until the symptoms return.

I will do a systematic hunt for it, thanks guys. 

Edited by Ludwig Bouwer