Look! A unicorn!

Gswitz

1 hour ago, Bapu said:

@paulo When I was first starting out (1969) we would drive from a city called Mar Vista to Hollywood where the singular original Guitar Center shop was, on Sunset Blvd. It was a tiny shop. Maybe 50 guitars on the wall, a few basses, a drum set or two and an amp room of course no synths and TBH it was too small house a Hammond B3 anywhere. Maybe I saw a Rhodes or a Wurli there every so often.

It was tiny but it housed major brands that we could look at as opposed to our local shop that had mostly knock offs.

If I ever get back to the UK I'm going to make it a point to try and get to that shop for sure.

I would imagine that everything in the store here would be far cheaper on your side of the pond, but if you do ever find yourself there, give your wallet to a responsible adult before you go in. Failing that, I'll look after it for you.😁

2 hours ago, Bapu said:

I only have two of my nine basses strung with flatwounds (Squier Fretless Jazz and Hofner).

Only 4 basses here now since I pared the quiver down. Flats on 75% of them.    J bass has Rotosound Swing Bass  because it usually only gets played live, but I have an old bad habit and poor technique I guess as my left hand fingers "zing" too much on some changes for recording.   Flatwounds positively correct that....

But a music store should carry both round and flat wounds for bass, at least a generic 34" 45-105 set , Just like you'd expect them to stock both steel and nylon guitar strings.  

Edited by StudioNSFW
  • Great Idea 1