Night Storm on Sea (now with changes and video linkl)

freddy j

I have been listening to a bit of surf music by several artist (e.g., the Surfphonics, Atlantics, Surfrajettes, Eliminators, etc.).  So I thought that I might give it a go on a new surf instrumental.  I have been thinking about doing a video along with it.  However, I would appreciate any input on the song before I attempt the video.

Thanks!!!

NIGHT  STORM  ON  SEA

https://www.soundclick.com/artist/default.cfm?bandid=963481

VIDEO Night Storm On Sea

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sQKYSxaTZ_o

Edited by freddy j
video added
  • Like 2

Somehow, I'm not surprised by this.  Surf guitar and rock-a-billy guitar have common cousins.  The Ventures "Walk, Don't Run" was the first song that I ever played in public when I was in the 8th grade.  I grew up with a '65 Strat and a '66 Fender Super Reverb, so this rings close to home for me.  Oh darn, now I'm getting all nostalgic.  Carry on

• Haha 1

Hi tom.  Surf is up.  By the look of the 3 topical disturbances out in the Atlantic, it might be up too much, in a few days, for we Florida folks.  Thanks for listening and for your comments.

Hi Wookiee and Nigel.  I am commenting to you both at the same time as you both had the same suggestion concerning the delay.  I know that i tend to over use delay and reverb.  I was trying to emulate some of my favourite surf bands (or bands that do some surf songs), such as the Eliminators, Atlantics, Messur Chups, and one of my newly discovered fav's the Break.  They tend to crank up on that echo-like sound.  BTW, if anyone is familiar with the Break -- how do they get the bass to sound that way?  Well, I went back and listened to this song again and I must say that may have over done it a bit.  In particular, I am satisfied with the sound of the guitar panned left but the guitar panned right does intrude on the other sounds.  I also thought that I had panned it more to the right but listening to the SoundClick post it sounds like it is almost coming from the middle most of the time.  Hey, Wookiee, I will also try and address bumping up the bass pedal on the drums.  I'm going to see if I get any more suggestions and then make the fixes and attempt a video.  Thanks you.  I very much appreciate your input and suggestions.

• Like 1

Hi Bjorn.  Thanks for listening and your comments.  I have received some good advice and I will be making some changes to the song soon.  Then comes the task of the video.  Do you have any good sources (free or paid) for video clips?  Thanks again for the encouragement!

Thank you Douglas.  Hopefully, later this week I will be making corrections to this song.  I definitely will try and bring up the kick on the drums and I am probably going to pan the guitar on the right a wee bit more to the right.  I may tone down the delay just a bit depending on how it sounds once it is moved.  Thanks again.

Hi Daryl.  Thanks for the kind words.  I was surprised when I was looking for surf music on-line at how much new stuff (the last 10 to 15 years) has been produced.  That pleased me as it is one of my new favourite genre.  As a young guy in the '60's and '70's I was into SCUBA and not surfing.  There is not much in the way of surfing waves on the Gulf of Mexico coast. 

Hey Lynn.  You are right --  there is a link between surf and rockabilly instrumentals (maybe it has something to do with reverb and delay?)  Do you still have that 1965 Strat and 1966 amp?  It probably is worth some $ now.  Thanks for taking the time to listen and comment!!  BTW, great song that you recently posted.

Hi Sabby.  Thanks for taking the time to listen and I appreciate your comments.  I will probably be making a couple of minor changes (above) but nothing dramatic.  Thanks again!!!

On 8/25/2020 at 11:40 AM, freddy j said:

Do you have any good sources (free or paid) for video clips? 

Freddy You could try pixabay.com   You can download videos for free but they ask for a credit (which is optional. )

Sorry,  I missed this when you asked a couple of weeks ago.

Hey Allan.  It is a wee bit different but these are reflective times.  Thanks for the kind words and encouragement.  It means a lot coming from you.  BTW,  "... in the Freddy Cannon " ---- I love it!

Thanks for taking the time to share the source Bjorn.  I very much appreciate it!  I'll give them a try.  Trying to find clips that are of decent quality and don't cost a fortune is rather difficult.  Like many of us, I do this for fun and not profit.  Thanks again.

Makes me think of WiseGuyz, a rockabilly  band from  Ukraine. I  have a lot of footage shot with a GoPro out the window of the car in Europe. I don't know if you could use something like that but at least it is free. PM me if you can use something I got. I started to try some video stuff but ran into the issue of where to get video material without being a millionaire. 

Cheers,

Billy

Hi Billy.  Thanks for the kind comments.  I am very familiar with the Wise Guyz and love their sound.  I particularly like their live street performance (not sure where it occurred) on YouTube.  I understand you sentiment that finding decent quality video is hard unless you have a big bankroll.  Thanks very much for your offer.  Of course I would be interested (especially if it were free).  I will be tied up for a few days but will give you a PM when I'm done.  Thanks again!

Hi Paul.  I am very glad that it brought back your bounce!  Thank you very much for the kind words. They are very much appreciated.

Cheers!!!