(not a deal) New IK Product Manager now available

Peter - IK Multimedia

On 8/17/2020 at 10:10 PM, locrian said:

Several months ago I spent 3 days downloading Total Studio 2 MAX (over a top-tier CDN), manually running dozens of installers, and then spending hours and hours to get Sample Tank to detect all my content.  After firing it up in my DAW I noticed that one of the products I own (Syntronik Memory-V) was grayed out.  So I went online to download the files but was furious when I saw that my window-of-opportunity had expired and I had to pay to redownload the content.  I own numerous plugins from nearly 150 different companies and none of them charge me to download content.

So, the icon for Syntronik Memory-V remains grayed-out because I will never give IKM another cent of my money.  In fact, I make a point of steering people away from IKM because this type of behavior is not just greedy, it's just plain stupid business practice.  The plugin market is fiercely competitive, so why would any company deliberately piss-off their customers?

In the end, IKM has lost far more than $10 (which they never even got from me).

Hell, rather than a group buy we should run a group sell to get them to change this policy.

I was also one of those who took days to download ST4MAX. I felt some of that same frustration. I also felt something else.....anticipation. The wait made me want to try it out that much more. It was a great feeling to finally have it all loaded up and working....sort of like climbing Everest.

I was extremely happy when they announced this new Programs management portal, page, whatever you want to call it. Even though at this point it will only benefit someone else because I have already downloaded all of the "big stuff". Unless they come out with another 300gb library I doubt I'll see the full benefit. Admittedly for updates and upgrades it's probably going to be the cat's pajamas.

I guess I feel slightly differently about the 10$ thing. Since software is in continual transition, hard drives fail, servers need to be maintained etc.etc. I'm willing to pay it if in 10 years I loose everything and need to retrieve it. For me this is a small price to pay. OTOH If I closely missed the deadline window for download by only a few days.....yeah, that would burn me. I also understand that if one exception is made, other exceptions need to be made and pretty soon people are pooping all over me. If the 10.00 starts to creep up though to 20.00, then 40.00. That one REALLY wouldn't sit well. If it goes to 12.50 in 10 years to cover inflation that's ok. I think we had a 60 day window? I forget now. I believe it was at least 60 days, might have been more. I have all of my libraries copied on a 2nd hard drive. This might seem smart but really the HDD cost me more than a 10.00 download fee would have.

What I think I dislike the most so far is the dancing around on this whole thing regarding  the status of it. We went from " It works great" to "It's working for most" to " It's working for a few" to " There's a work around" to "The work around only works for a few" to .....what's next here?  I haven't recently tried it, but a few days ago it was dead in the water for me. Not that I'm bothered either way. Life goes on. 

I just tried Product Manager 1.0.1 on my home PC (specs in sig) and it updated AT4 and TR5 to latest versions. And it see that's products are updated. 

IOW, worked as expected.

Has a long way to go, but it's a good start... now!! :)  

@Peter - IK Multimedia Suggested additions to Product manager - allow me to see all my product and allow me to decide which version/serial number to use. I have more than one version of Amplitube, and I want to use them. Same way with T-Racks and Sample Tank 

[edit] Just updated IK Product manager on my Music PC. Update went fine, up dated AT4 and Modo Bass with no issues. Seems to be working as expected people. Dive in!! Going update the rest of my products.

Also, it did not re-download the installers for all the updates I had already d/l'd. Which is really good!! Progress!

Edited by Grem
  • Like 1

Before diving in, take this note.  It updated correctly, and worked as expected for all my software.... except Modo Drums. Tried three - four times and still Installation failed. Don't have the time to contact support right now. But I will and let them know.

Edited by Grem

I had to dig to revive this 3 pages in. I was pretty tough on IK. Maybe why Peter was pretending I didn't exist :) TBH initially things did not work for me. I didn't want others to attempt it given the situation.

It was worth the wait to try it again in a few days. Not sure if it was the windows updates that caused issues or something else. 

Just wanted to say. It works now for me. IK must have cleared the bugs up.  Seems most here are now getting pretty good results.

8 hours ago, Starise said:

It works now for me. IK must have cleared the bugs up

I would ask you about Modo Drums getting installed correctly, but I know you passed on that one.

And about Peter, I think we all give him a hard time. Peter works like a professional and just let's all that stuff go. I wouldn't worry too much about it. 

• Like 3

I second the motion about Pete, Grem...and if ANYBODY gives him
a hard time....well you know the rest.  He's always been professional,
even in disagreements, and honestly he's one of the main reasons that
I keep buying their products, because everyone knows I have issues 
with IK's business model...and a few other things...but the products
are tried and true, and so is Pete!

• Like 7

On 8/17/2020 at 10:10 PM, locrian said:

Several months ago I spent 3 days downloading Total Studio 2 MAX (over a top-tier CDN), manually running dozens of installers, and then spending hours and hours to get Sample Tank to detect all my content.  After firing it up in my DAW I noticed that one of the products I own (Syntronik Memory-V) was grayed out.  So I went online to download the files but was furious when I saw that my window-of-opportunity had expired and I had to pay to redownload the content.  I own numerous plugins from nearly 150 different companies and none of them charge me to download content.

So, the icon for Syntronik Memory-V remains grayed-out because I will never give IKM another cent of my money.  In fact, I make a point of steering people away from IKM because this type of behavior is not just greedy, it's just plain stupid business practice.  The plugin market is fiercely competitive, so why would any company deliberately piss-off their customers?

In the end, IKM has lost far more than $10 (which they never even got from me).

Hell, rather than a group buy we should run a group sell to get them to change this policy.

I bought the SampleTank 4 MAX crossgrade at the pre-sale price, which was excellent! But I was not prepared disk space wise for the enormous downloads.

So I never got around to downloading many of the sound expansions that I was entitled to.

So recently I did a disk drive upgrade on my system that ran about $200. When I looked at what I was missing from ST4 MAX, I was surprised to learn that the downloads had expired.

So  I paid the $10 for another 180 days. The way I look at it is that $10 spent now was a lot cheaper than $200 that I couldn't afford for a drive upgrade at the time. But I wish that they would change their current policy, as it is stupid.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, cclarry said:

I second the motion about Pete, Grem...and if ANYBODY gives him
a hard time....well you know the rest.

Oh yeah I know the rest!! 

33 minutes ago, cclarry said:

honestly he's one of the main reasons that
I keep buying their products,

Yep. Peter has been a excellent rep for IK.

He's got more patience than I have for sure. I would told some.... well we won't go there!

35 minutes ago, cclarry said:

but the products
are tried and true

Agreed. They still stand up to products that were thought to be the best in the business. And some of them surpass these 'great' plugins.

• Like 3