(not a deal) New IK Product Manager now available

Peter - IK Multimedia

Ah well - too good to be true - I've just installed the Product Manager and tried to update 4 programmes including ST4 - all seem to be downloading ok though the installation seems suspiciously quick - the menu still shows 'Update' opposite each item and, sure enough on checking ST4 in CbB  it shows the earlier version is still installed 😞

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, simon said:

be great to get it working properly before you pull the manual downloads ;)

It does.  As with any software and with so many configurations people are running out there, some may not have optimal results.  Like I said, IK Support can help.  I know they identified an issue that was happening after a very recent Windows update and I'm sure if that's what's affecting you or others they will walk you through it now and the devs will implement a longer term fix.  Apologies for being blunt but you seem to be emoting that you are happy to think you're seeing IK Product Manager "fail".  See below where it does work flawlessly for the person quoted and I assure  you I've heard from many, many more.  Also our support queue received an insanely low amount of tickets for a new release, both against IK's data and industry standards.

50 minutes ago, chris.r said:
  • Authorize and de-authorize computers  <-that's defo on a plus
  • You can also see bonus downloads like artist presets, if available.  <-another nice one

Thanks, I was a loud voice about de-authorization early on.  Happy to see that here, it had to be included.

44 minutes ago, Promidi said:

Works flawless for me.  I am assuming this replaces the IK Authorisation manager  - I looked around on the IK Product Manager and, indeed, there is a place to register new products. 

One suggestion. 

On the home screen of IK Product Manager, those four items on the left (where is shows you the quantities of your installed items) it would be nice to be able to click on these to show the items you've clicked on.  For example, the bottom item is "update".  It would be nice to click on that to list the items that need updating (And on that list, clicking on the individual item takes you to that specific item on your IK product list on the IK website product area. 

Other than that, this is a mighty fine product manager.  Thanks IK!

Glad it works for you.    I appreciate the suggestion, too, thank you.  I'll let the team know.

16 minutes ago, JoeGBradford said:

Ah well - too good to be true - I've just installed the Product Manager and tried to update 4 programmes including ST4 - all seem to be downloading ok though the installation seems suspiciously quick - the menu still shows 'Update' opposite each item and, sure enough on checking ST4 in CbB  it shows the earlier version is still installed 😞

That's odd, I'm sure IK Support can assist you there, if you are on Windows and recently updated they may have a specific workaround for your case.

1 minute ago, JoeGBradford said:

Sooo....I found where the Product Manager had installed the updates and ran them manually - now updated but the installation also wanted to install Authorisation Manager - that needs attention Peter!

Right.  That's because you're installing manually, not with IK Product Manager and Authorization Manager is not discontinued and is part of the manual installation process.  You might want to work with IK Support and get IK Product Manager working and you won't need to use Authorization Manager at all.

• Like 1

I can understand that 😉   

Just now, Peter - IK Multimedia said:

To follow up on that first part of my last post, and one of the main points of why IK Product Manager exists (finally) is... The rate of support requests for SampleTank 4 on opening day is not something we want to repeat.  Welcome to IK Product Manager:)

Manual workaround worked fine for me - hopefully all will be sorted by the next time I need to do an update 🙂

Just now, Peter - IK Multimedia said:

Right.  That's because you're installing manually, not with IK Product Manager and Authorization Manager is not discontinued and is part of the manual installation process.  You might want to work with IK Support and get IK Product Manager working and you won't need to use Authorization Manager at all.

Our posts are crossing Peter - I thought that might be the case re AM - as I say hopefully all will be resolved by the time I need any more updates. Once it works it will be a great step forward

Just now, JoeGBradford said:

Our posts are crossing Peter - I thought that might be the case re AM - as I say hopefully all will be resolved by the time I need any more updates. Once it works it will be a great step forward

Ah yes, and honestly even though I'd love to see only IK Product Manager, the installers still containing Authorization Manager for the failsafe of manual installs at least saves some time of scratching one's head wondering "do I need that for a manual install?" and a tiny bit of time not having to download it separately.  Though of course eventually it will be streamlined toward no more Authorization Manager, there had to be a transition period.  "In case of manual installation break glass - and here's Authorization Manager for now".  I believe we noticed some hubub when other companies introduced their download/install managers and some of these things are meant to hopefully not rock the boat as much.

• Like 2

The bookkeeping of the utility is a hit and miss for me. It only recognises recent products (ok then)  and shows Lurssen and T-Racks 5 marked as not intalled. That's incorrect.

It says it has update for Amplitube 4. Running the update fails.

There are other updates that I am not gonna bother to update with this utility.

Sound installation is also hit hand miss.  I have Syntronix Deluxe installed, it shows some of the packages installed, but they are all there.

Edited by Finnbogi Ragnar Ragnarsson

48 minutes ago, JoeGBradford said:

It works for me.  I successfully updated Sampletank 4.11 to 4.12 using the IK product manager

I am sure IK support can find out what's going on in your case....

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JoeGBradford said:

Does this for me too.  Said there were like 6 products that needed to be updated.  It downloaded the installers (you can see them in the Documents directory it downloads to) and it does uncompress them and then the install exits/never starts.  If I unzip the download manually and install them they work just fine.

I tried running IK Product Manager as admin (just in case) but that didn't change anything.

The MODO Drum installer when ran manually claimed a newer version was already installed, but that was a lie.  But it did let me continue the install anyway.

It looks like I uninstalled Lurssen (I vaguely remember it was crashing due to conflicts with the Intel Math Libraries).  So I thought I'd try using IK Product Manager to install it completely (since it wasn't on my machine).  But that failed also.  At least for it, the IK Product Manager UI showed an error/failure message (unlike all the failed updates which just failed silently).

IK Product Manager doesn't seem to have any clean up functionality.  So all those installers are now in a sub-directory in my Documents folder.

And their sounds/data downloads are still time gated.  And I don't see anything that can verify they are complete and installed correctly (something I know us Sampletank 4 Max users could use).

I'm not going to open a ticket or work with IK to fix these problems.  At this point though I've manually updated everything and I doubt there is much they could learn from me/I could get from them in any case.  If I had something more specific and addressable perhaps I'd open a ticket.  Though I will try any future updates they release.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

28 minutes ago, Promidi said:

It works for me.  I successfully updated Sampletank 4.11 to 4.12 using the IK product manager

I am sure IK support can find out what's going on in your case....

Is there any way I can install this particular update without using the new system? When I look at my products page, it only offers the new product manager for ST4.

9 minutes ago, LAGinz said:

Is there any way I can install this particular update without using the new system? When I look at my products page, it only offers the new product manager for ST4.

Yes.  If you head over to your IK products area, scroll down to Sampletank 4.  Then click on "Past Releases"

https://www.ikmultimedia.com/userarea/my-products/

In there you'll see version 4.1.2 of Sampletank and the download links for both the Windows and Mac versions (to the right)

16 minutes ago, LAGinz said:

Try in the Past Releases.

Pheeeeow! I started getting worry that I will have to go through reaching Support to get the installer.

EDIT: beaten by Promidi :) 

Edited by chris.r

I just succesfully updated AmpliTube, Modo Bass, SampleTank and T-Racks.

I wish I had this a few months ago when I was installing StudioMax.

I like that I was able to choose the path where the installers were downloaded.  I set it to my USB docking station which is where I archive my studio software.  This saved me the time of moving the files from my laptop to that drive.

Edited by locrian

Peter,

Would you please ask your developers to just show the products we actually own when we click on "Manage My Products"?  Currently it mixes what you own with stuff you don't own.

And it would be nice to be able to hide the scrolling product banner at the top of the Product Manager.

Cheers...