(not a deal) New IK Product Manager now available

Peter - IK Multimedia

2 hours ago, HIBI said:

Well... Sounds files are shown "Installed" after download. Where can I find them?
How can I specify where to install the sound files? Just find and move them?

Sounds have a PAK extension so you could use Windows search to find them.

But I would have hoped they were automatically sent to the folder selected in Syntronic / Sample Tank See the Sound Content tab in settings on these instruments.  It is possible to move the files and point the ST4 / Syntronic at the new folder.  Both Sampletank and Syntronic content should be in the same folder.

If you cant find them, are you experiencing the Windows 10 security issue discussed at length above.

• Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, Vernon Barnes said:

Sounds have a PAK extension so you could use Windows search to find them.

But I would have hoped they were automatically sent to the folder selected in Syntronic / Sample Tank See the Sound Content tab in settings on these instruments.  It is possible to move the files and point the ST4 / Syntronic at the new folder.  Both Sampletank and Syntronic content should be in the same folder.

Thanks @Vernon Barnes
Seems it's under C:\Users\Public\Documents\IK Multimedia
I will try to move them to other location (my samples drive D:) when I have the time.

Windows 10 here.  Tried the workaround with virus exemption folder.  New product manager downloads and says installed SampleTank update successfully despite not even running the installer at all as far as I can tell. Got the update from download folder so I was able to install manually. 

Of all the product managers I have used Toontrack’s works the best for me. It’s very smooth - updates, authorizes pretty seamlessly.

hopefully IK can get some inspiration from Toontrack for future updates  

the IK product looks like it will be good once the kinks are worked out  

10 hours ago, Greg said:

Windows 10 here.  Tried the workaround with virus exemption folder.  New product manager downloads and says installed SampleTank update successfully despite not even running the installer at all as far as I can tell.

yeah the IKM fix isn't a fix (IMO) - might work for some but if you look at their example it's for when it says there is an error message whilst installing NOT when it says "sucessfull", although foolish to exclude folders from your security system (again IMO).  IKM just need to fix it.

• Like 1

In My Products section on KI website, I see 9 Authorizations left for my AmpliTube Slash Power DUO Bundle. 

But in IK Product Manager, I see 7 Authorizations left for my AmpliTube.

And there's no AmpliTube "Full" or AmpliTube Slash Power DUO in Products sub-section in IK Product Manager . Just AmpliTube Free,  Slash,  Fender and other Collections.

Where's my 2 Authorizations go and how to get them back? 🙂

20 hours ago, simon said:

yeah the IKM fix isn't a fix (IMO) - might work for some but if you look at their example it's for when it says there is an error message whilst installing NOT when it says "sucessfull", although foolish to exclude folders from your security system (again IMO).  IKM just need to fix it.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^This. Same experiences here. It isn't entirely fixed yet.

On 8/14/2020 at 6:23 PM, Paul Young said:

Same here.  I prefer it that way since I keep my IK plugins in their separate folder.  The VST installers do not remember the install location.

They do here, always, and on multiple machines.    I know because I find it very handy every time :)Please consult IK Support to rectify what is not normal behavior.

On 8/14/2020 at 6:39 PM, JoeGBradford said:

Thanks Peter - good work support - I had just installed that update so almost certainly explains my issues. As I installed the updates manually in the end I'll await the Product Manager update which will hopefully resolve the issue

On 8/15/2020 at 9:36 AM, HIBI said:

Can't update AmpliTube 4 with Product Manager. It just pretend to be updated. Also there is an install failed issue by Windows 10 security so I did manually launch installers.

And I realized for the first time that there was a deadline for downloading sound files with first using Product Manager and seeing Soudns tab. Already I have some expired sounds... Oh I can't believe that. This time-limited download is ridiculous. :/

See below about the workaround that has worked for anybody having the Windows 10 issue if you are on Windows 10.   You should have been made aware of the 180 days multiple times but I'll let the team know you didn't see those.

On 8/15/2020 at 12:14 PM, Batwaffel said:

Yup, 2020. Data transfer is cheap and there are options they could use to distribute the content completely free if they really wanted but they choose not. Hell, they could add a download limit but the timed download thing is completely anti-consumer BS.

Sure, anybody can use crappy hosting but we don't.  We use a top-tier CDN and give you 180 days to download as many times as you'd like.  If you don't prefer to do your own backups, you can get access to all of your large sound libraries for the one-time fee and for another 180 days.  That's cheaper than most cloud storage plans and you don't even have to use it...

On 8/15/2020 at 4:34 PM, Greg said:

Windows 10 here.  Tried the workaround with virus exemption folder.  New product manager downloads and says installed SampleTank update successfully despite not even running the installer at all as far as I can tell. Got the update from download folder so I was able to install manually. 

Of all the product managers I have used Toontrack’s works the best for me. It’s very smooth - updates, authorizes pretty seamlessly.

hopefully IK can get some inspiration from Toontrack for future updates  

the IK product looks like it will be good once the kinks are worked out  

18 hours ago, chris.r said:

I see similarity in issues with IK product manager and problem with Bandlab Assistant where it fails with starting the installation process... I think Microsoft showed off again with the latest forced update.

For those posting the same issue above and in the thread - the workaround should work for those on Windows 10 and IK Support is always happy to assist those for which it doesn't.

1 hour ago, Peter - IK Multimedia said:

Sure, anybody can use crappy hosting but we don't.  We use a top-tier CDN and give you 180 days to download as many times as you'd like.  If you don't prefer to do your own backups, you can get access to all of your large sound libraries for the one-time fee and for another 180 days.  That's cheaper than most cloud storage plans and you don't even have to use it...

Come on now. "You have 180 days to download this as much as you want". If that's the case, why not open it up to unlimited time and a download limit of say, 10? That way they are there if someone actually needs them later on rather than having only half a year to do it then get cut off? At the end of the day, it shouldn't matter if someone has to redownload it after 180 days or not if they've not redownloaded it previously. So you pay a little extra per month than maybe you'd pay for someone like Amazon's servers. Doesn't mean Amazon's servers are bad or slow.

Hell, you could even make a bittorrent with just the sample data in them and offer that as an option for people who need it past their 180 days but then you couldn't get that extra $10 to pay for your "top tier CDN". 

Edited by Batwaffel
  • Great Idea 3

3 hours ago, Peter - IK Multimedia said:

They do here, always, and on multiple machines.    I know because I find it very handy every time :)Please consult IK Support to rectify what is not normal behavior.

Never for me.  They want to install in C:\Program Files\VstPlugIns but I install them C:\Program Files\VstPlugIns\IK.  I have no issue running an installer and I chose. Some developers still point them to C:\Program Files\Steinberg\VstPlugIns even if you don't have Cubase.   ST sounds are always in the right location. That would be a hassle if they didn't. 

Several months ago I spent 3 days downloading Total Studio 2 MAX (over a top-tier CDN), manually running dozens of installers, and then spending hours and hours to get Sample Tank to detect all my content.  After firing it up in my DAW I noticed that one of the products I own (Syntronik Memory-V) was grayed out.  So I went online to download the files but was furious when I saw that my window-of-opportunity had expired and I had to pay to redownload the content.  I own numerous plugins from nearly 150 different companies and none of them charge me to download content.

So, the icon for Syntronik Memory-V remains grayed-out because I will never give IKM another cent of my money.  In fact, I make a point of steering people away from IKM because this type of behavior is not just greedy, it's just plain stupid business practice.  The plugin market is fiercely competitive, so why would any company deliberately piss-off their customers?

In the end, IKM has lost far more than $10 (which they never even got from me).

Hell, rather than a group buy we should run a group sell to get them to change this policy.

17 hours ago, Peter - IK Multimedia said:

You should have been made aware of the 180 days multiple times but I'll let the team know you didn't see those.

It would be nice if there is a notify email before expire download. or limit the number of download times is better than 180 days limit, I think.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Fleer said:

If I remember well, Spectrasonics also charges for extra downloads of Omnisphere. 

They do but they also give you a set amount of downloads you can use before that which don't expire or in the case of the way most people buy it, it comes with a hard drive backup. 

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, Batwaffel said:

They do but they also give you a set amount of downloads you can use before that which don't expire or in the case of the way most people buy it, it comes with a hard drive backup. 

having a set amount of downloads makes way more sense.  It's not like you are going to download it loads of times in the first few months.  You probably only need to reinstall a few year later when you get a new computer

• Like 5