Rowan's Ship

Starise

Very nice. What is that? A guitar, a harpsicord, a harpsiguitar??  What are you using for the sounds? I really like the reverb on the guitar-harpsicord/guitar??. Does the guitar have a very short delay?  In some ranges of the violin the guitar mask the volume and clarity. Don't know if you have track spacer?? It would work great because is would only compress what needed to be  compressed. It would leave those great guitar transients sharp and clear. Any kind of sidechain would help, or if you already have one set up up it a db or 2.  Very nice piece.   Bell is a little loud at end. It seems small if it was to be a ships bell.

Max- Thanks for your comments to help me mix this a little better! Much appreciated. Here's the run down of this mix.

I used a full KS acoustic Sampletank guitar for the first track. I play real guitars but this was easier since there's no miking etc. Admittedly  the end result is probably better but might not seem as natural. I added guitar harmonics on another track and slightly effected it. There's a second ST guitar , a nylon string playing as a second player might play to add parts. This is mostly in the low mids. The nylon strings lend well to a softer tone. Main parts are panned at about 19% L/R. Reverb is  Abbey Road Chambers using a  guitar room setting. I sent the guitar tracks to a side chain in a master compressor in the  master bus. It's the compressor typically in the master bus of the PC. The setting here were mostly to tame low mids. The ST guitars are effected slightly for realism in the ST program using mostly T-Racks plugins. Low end is rolled off in EQ below 30hz on both tracks and master.

I have very light compression on individual guitar channels, as in it almost never kicks in. Only on the most aggressive transients. The flute is on a separate reverb and also slightly  fed to the Abbey road bus. I wanted a very spacial feel to the flute. I almost used the Boz panning plugin but used the included panners instead. My goal was a somewhat mellow guitar flavor so the high mids aren't accentuated. Thanks for the suggestion on the bell. I will see to that. 

The master is run through a McDSP ML 4000 4. Mostly for the limiter but I also used the multiband compressor and an exciter on the transients  in the high ranges that's part of the ML4000. Limited at around -2db on the master. Mix went in at -6db. Mixed to K-14. Exported and went to Lurssen for a slight boost in overall volume and presence.

If you can pinpoint the places where your hearing a clash I'll see what I can do. Not sure what a  track spacer is?

18 hours ago, Starise said:

Max- Thanks for your comments to help me mix this a little better! Much appreciated. Here's the run down of this mix.

I used a full KS acoustic Sampletank guitar for the first track. I play real guitars but this was easier since there's no miking etc. Admittedly  the end result is probably better but might not seem as natural. I added guitar harmonics on another track and slightly effected it. There's a second ST guitar , a nylon string playing as a second player might play to add parts. This is mostly in the low mids. The nylon strings lend well to a softer tone. Main parts are panned at about 19% L/R. Reverb is  Abbey Road Chambers using a  guitar room setting. I sent the guitar tracks to a side chain in a master compressor in the  master bus. It's the compressor typically in the master bus of the PC. The setting here were mostly to tame low mids. The ST guitars are effected slightly for realism in the ST program using mostly T-Racks plugins. Low end is rolled off in EQ below 30hz on both tracks and master.

I have very light compression on individual guitar channels, as in it almost never kicks in. Only on the most aggressive transients. The flute is on a separate reverb and also slightly  fed to the Abbey road bus. I wanted a very spacial feel to the flute. I almost used the Boz panning plugin but used the included panners instead. My goal was a somewhat mellow guitar flavor so the high mids aren't accentuated. Thanks for the suggestion on the bell. I will see to that. 

The master is run through a McDSP ML 4000 4. Mostly for the limiter but I also used the multiband compressor and an exciter on the transients  in the high ranges that's part of the ML4000. Limited at around -2db on the master. Mix went in at -6db. Mixed to K-14. Exported and went to Lurssen for a slight boost in overall volume and presence.

If you can pinpoint the places where your hearing a clash I'll see what I can do. Not sure what a  track spacer is?

Wow great combinations of plugins. The masking is very slight mostly low mids in solo voices . Nothing to worry about.  

Track spacer is an automatic 32 band side chain compressor ->

https://www.wavesfactory.com/trackspacer/

You have to be careful and just add a little or it will mess with the overall EQ and trash your track.   @1:16-1:26 the flute is softer but the guitar is still the same volume it has been. @1:39 the flute is back up and clear. You might be able to use automation on a side chain to pick those softer sections and pull the 2K-~6-8K back on the guitar and up on the flute for clarity. Not sure exactly. You could try the demo on Trackspacer. You would have to play with the EQ of a regular sidechain to find the frequencies.

• Like 1