Humble Bundle - Your Sounds Your Movies

ZincT

On 8/23/2020 at 12:39 PM, Starise said:

I agree that though vst plugins are supposed to work in Vegas the implementation has been very glitchy for me. Loading up cpu heavy vsts usually freeze it up. Vegas prefers to work with the limited plugins offered in their list.

That's in movie studio though which is different to Vegas Pro. The Pro version has a good selection of audio plugins, all that you would need really. VST's can run fine in Vegas Pro, I've used convolution reverbs without problems but generally I don't use complex audio plugins in Vegas. Video editors are much more data and cpu heavy than DAW's out of the box. You can certainly load up a DAW but it requires numerous tracks and plugins. With video editors, just dumping FHD video on one track and start adding a few filters and you can run into trouble if the system is not up to it. CPU heavy reverbs like the waves one, you are probably asking for trouble but one thing to be aware of, especially if you run a DAW on the same system. Best to reset your ASIO buffer up to about 1024 or higher (it doesn't matter how high) since you won't be doing any recording on the video editor and it will allow the system to run better. I generally run mine high anyway but I've been caught after recording in Cubase at 64 then switching to Vegas and dumping a convolution reverb on there together with all the video etc....whoops!

I can do small projects in Vegas alone but usually I like to just put the video and camcorder/dual sound audio into vegas and then use vegas's audio controls and plugins to level and eq the audio, then burn the audio by itself to a stem when finished. Then burn off a copy of DV size video together with the audio stem to run in a DAW if I am then adding music, sound FX, atmosphere or ADR/Foley etc. Then just mix and master that out to a stereo audio file and reimport back into vegas for final edit.

I've not had problems with vegas, but I know what to do with it after using it for a long time when I had a video production company. Best to run it in 24 bit audio all the time, regardless of content, if GPU hardware acceleration is not working for you, turn it off. 3 hard drives, one for os/program, one for source video and one for projects/video output. Can also use it's native, I think mxf codec but lately although not doing large projects I've just been putting camera native mov's on there.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1