I understand the concept of getting samplers from other places but native samplers are a must to keep up with the other DAWs. I make videos and tutorials about Cakewalk. I use many different samplers to achieve something that should be native to Cakewalk. I change out drums alot so just using the waves doesnt work for me so I use other things like Sitala or Komplete Kontrol where I can swap out sample at will. I would say over 80% of all the popular music has samples in it. I know not everybody uses it to make music but even the Bandlab app has a sampler in it so you guys know the importance of having one on your app. It is the same for the desktop it needs to happen. The first thing I reach for to do drums or samples is another sampler and people do ask where is Cakewalks sampler and I have to say it doesnt have one.. 😓They use to have cyclone or dropzone at least but this version has nothing for the people just finding Cakewalk. I know there have been other people asking for this several times and years have passed and still no sampler. Im just here to let you guys know again the we need a sampler in Cakewalk. This is why myself and others request a native sampler. Hopefully this request can be fulfilled. 

Thank you

• Like 5
  • Great Idea 2

12 hours ago, Xel Ohh said:

I understand the concept of getting samplers from other places but native samplers are a must to keep up with the other DAWs. I make videos and tutorials about Cakewalk. I use many different samplers to achieve something that should be native to Cakewalk. I change out drums alot so just using the waves doesnt work for me so I use other things like Sitala or Komplete Kontrol where I can swap out sample at will. I would say over 80% of all the popular music has samples in it. I know not everybody uses it to make music but even the Bandlab app has a sampler in it so you guys know the importance of having one on your app. It is the same for the desktop it needs to happen. The first thing I reach for to do drums or samples is another sampler and people do ask where is Cakewalks sampler and I have to say it doesnt have one.. 😓They use to have cyclone or dropzone at least but this version has nothing for the people just finding Cakewalk. I know there have been other people asking for this several times and years have passed and still no sampler. Im just here to let you guys know again the we need a sampler in Cakewalk. This is why myself and others request a native sampler. Hopefully this request can be fulfilled. 

Thank you

This has been a long, long, long, long, ...

... long running request. But I'm totally with you on this. :)

And I'll be sure to check out your tutorials.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

Much as I am an advocate of augmenting CbB with whatever freeware is out there, and I love my Break Tweaker, there is just no substitute for a native, well-integrated phrase sampler.

Emphasis on the "well-integrated," which to me means you can select regions and clips and right click and send the audio to the sampler, drag and drop clips, operations like that.

Mixcraft has a nice one and I miss it.

• Like 2

On 8/12/2020 at 6:03 AM, Wibbles said:

I'll be sure to check out your tutorials.

Mr. Ohh is doing some good work, I've liked his tutorials on electronic music/beatmaking workflows and meat-and-potatoes operations like final mixdown.

He covers all the steps, which is great for people new to the program, which is a lot of people these days.

I hope that he can add some advocacy in making an integrated sampler happen. I'm getting into genres now like chillout that use breathy vocal samples, and I find myself talking myself out of using them because I'll have to load an external sampler and all that.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

An integrated sampler is better than none but, as @Starship Krupa said, well integrated is preferable to something just patched on.

Some features I'd like to see include pitch and timing detection in addition to pitch and timing shifting, waveform display, reverse waveform and individual ASDR controls.  What other features are needed to create a comprehensive, integrated sampler?

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Jim Fogle said:

Some features I'd like to see include pitch and timing detection in addition to pitch and timing shifting, waveform display, reverse waveform and individual ASDR controls.  What other features are needed to create a comprehensive, integrated sampler?

I really like Mixcraft's implementation. Typical for them, it doesn't over-complicate the instrument itself. Part of what I mean by well-integrated is that it offloads a lot of the stuff you're talking about to  other areas of the DAW that are already in place and that we already know how to use.

So, some of what you describe is already in place inasmuch as Cakewalk  detects pitch and timing whenever you drag audio in anyway, Loop Construction is comprehensive in other ways, so for instance you'd fine tune your sample using that tool, then right click or hit a button and select "Send to  Phrase Sampler." A dialog pops up, asks you which cell/note you want to map it to, done. Then the sample player only needs to handle basic  things like reverse, envelope, retriggering behavior. Speed and pitch variation as well, as those are already built into CbB. If you want filtering, that's what that FX rack is for.

Mixcraft split their samplers into two different instruments. The first is the phrase sampler, which is what @Xel Ohh is talking about (I think). It lets you bring in audio phrases and trigger them with MIDI notes. The integration comes in where the phrases can be brought in from. You can right click on a clip in an audio track, bring it in from their version of the loop construction tool, the sound library, it's hooked in to all these other places where you're creating chunks of audio. Same with their Performance Panel, which is their implementation of a Matrix type view. Very well-integrated with every area of the program, in both directions.

Then they have a Sampletank-like sampler that lets you bring in sounds and spread them across a range of pitches. I haven't worked with it, so can't say as much about it.

It's not a separate instrument, it's an integrated feature, like a View. Call it the  Phrase Clip Player View.

• Like 2

A good sampler would be useful, with 16 multiple stereo out's, choke, round robin, probability, at the very least .. can we have that ?
There is a ton of 3rd party samplers all with pro's and cons. useful and necessary. Cyclone GUI .. ewww forget it ... it's too dated. 

My fave is Giest 2 but it's unstable, I like MPC Studio / MPC beat .. but that hangs the DAW, Maschine is ok and seems to be reliable, Steinberg's backbone has some awesome features, Satalia is a little unstable.  Kontakt is a beast, Serato Sampler is semi useful. Breaktweaker is handy, Nerve is useful, Battery by NI is good.

So an ideal instrument would push creation, be intuitive and above all else .. be stable. Out of all the one's I've tried the microedit and polyrhythm from breaktweaker, the polyrhythm, pattern based filter FX / gate / pitch, transmod and round robin of Giest2 would fit the bill.

Cakewalks step sequencer could just be tweaked to fill this missing role if you design a way to have each note control a set of samples.

• Like 2

I'm going to buck the trend.   😉

Why reinvent the wheel?

You've got your choice of many different 3rd-party "Samplers" (virtual instruments) that are FAR more advanced/evolved than a rev. 1 release.

FWIW, I don't want to be tied to a proprietary sampler, with limited function, that only works with one host software.

To me, that's taking a step two decades backward.

Development hours are somewhat a "precious commodity".

I'd rather the bakers focus on Cakewalk (DAW) which is their forte'.  

Let other companies (who specialize in Vi's)... do what they do best.

A cardiologist can treat you for the Flu.

Is that really the best use of his/her time???    😁

• Like 4

33 minutes ago, Jim Roseberry said:

You've got your choice of many different 3rd-party "Samplers" (virtual instruments) that are FAR more advanced/evolved than a rev. 1 release.

FWIW, I don't want to be tied to a proprietary sampler, with limited function, that only works with one host software.

I think the term "sampler" that is often used in  a generic way is ambiguous and frequently leads to confusion where a diverse, multi-generation, music making audience is concerned. There really are at least two main types of sampler in use these days, plugin VSTi samplers, or fully integrated samplers.

For an example, PreSonus has clearly made the decision to fully  embrace this integrated sampling path, much to the derision and  disdain of their traditional DAW users. But apparently the company has noticed the generational shifts in music production, and has attempted to offer something for everyone. They apparently have been listening to their users.

My take on the folks requesting a "sampler" in this context are talking about an integrated tool for live sampling,  sample triggering, and sample mangling in near real-time as part of their own creative musical workflow, and not necessarily playing back a sampled instrument created by someone else.

Cakewalk still has trouble sampling "live", even with a 3rd party sampler. Yes, you can drag and drop samples, but that's not the same. Maybe they should fix that first.

I'm sure that those who keep making these requests are well aware of the commercial 3rd party mega "sample library" instruments,  but those don't operate as efficiently in this type of workflow. Maybe it's not right for you, but probably time for you to watch some YouTubes about the subject, as a lot of modern music production is done "in-the-box" with samples.

But I do agree that those expecting BandLab to develop this and give it all away for free are probably expecting too much. There is a reason that DAWs that have all of these features cost money. They have paying customers who are funding the development bill. BandLab probably needs to focus on their precious commodity, and keep improving the core DAW. Cakewalk is free, but I doubt that they are operating a charity.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Jim Roseberry said:

I'm going to buck the trend.   😉

Why reinvent the wheel?

A cardiologist can treat you for the Flu.

Is that really the best use of his/her time???    😁

Yes we know there are 3rd party samplers... As I stated in my post... But you do understand that Bandlab app itself has a sampler... Which mean they know the importance of it in there software. People dont like to go outside of what they have downloading third party that might not work.. This is a deterrent for some so they leave cakewalk all together.. I do hip hop and rnb tracks and it uses more samples and virtual instruments to make those type of beats. I do use more than one daw to make beats and all of them have samplers... Ableton... FL Studio... Maschine... Reason.... Even Reaper has a sampler build in... So there should be no reason that we cant request a sampler inside of Cakewalk.

• Like 2

@Jim Roseberry brings up a good point of discussion, development time is precious.

One solution would be to adapt and integrate a free sampler that already exists.

One example is the Windows only free sampler from One Small Clue, Grace.  Here is a review of Grace by the Bedroom Producer Blog:   https://bedroomproducersblog.com/2015/09/14/grace-sampler-free/  and a download link:  https://github.com/s-oram/Grace/releases/   

2 hours ago, Jim Fogle said:

@Jim Roseberry brings up a good point of discussion, development time is precious.

One solution would be to adapt and integrate a free sampler that already exists.

One example is the Windows only free sampler from One Small Clue, Grace.  Here is a review of Grace by the Bedroom Producer Blog:   https://bedroomproducersblog.com/2015/09/14/grace-sampler-free/  and a download link:  https://github.com/s-oram/Grace/releases/   

The work around has been done over and over there is a reason this request keeps coming up over and over its because this is what people want. We see all these other daws adding new samplers and beat machines so we want that too some daws have multiple samplers and you know why they are the most popular because they listen to request for the people using there products. This is called feature request for a reason. This is to let the developers know that we would like to have this added. Everyones time is precious and there are other things that will come first but that doesnt mean when the important things are done you cant look at what people are asking, like I stated earlier in this thread not everyone likes to download third party due to bad links and viruses that can come with some sites so something integrated eliminates that issue for users new and old. I believe this will bring more people to cakewalk as well.. 😄 this is why others and I have requested a sampler. I truly believe that it something that is needed in Cakewalk.

• Like 2