Duke RIP

kennywtelejazz

58 minutes ago, kennywtelejazz said:

Hello forum members , thank you for showing your concern and empathy for my situation regarding  my dog Duke .

Today at 4: 15 I took Duke to the vet and he was put to sleep ...

I was grateful the Vet was able to see us at 4 PM ...the very thought of waiting until Monday or Tuesday to book an appointment with the vet for later on in the week just did not sit well with me ...

Even though Duke  couldn't tell me verbally he was suffering  I could just tell he was ...so I wanted to give us both a few memories before our final moments together came to a close .

An hour and a half before out appointment I decided to run to the store and buy a steak .I cooked that bad boy up and Duke and I had our last meal together.

I wanted to do everything I could with Duke so I took him to his favorite place to hang . While there we both enjoyed our time together just watching the day to day activities of other dog walkers , cars driving by and children playing in the playground .

Then I  took him for a short walk and once he was done with his assault on the bush I gave him his favorite ball to chew on as I let him into the back seat area of my car ...

Once I got him in the car he was so happy to have his face in the wind ...I was smiling through my tears as I watched his floppy ears flapping like 2 bird wings zig zagging across the sides of his head  while his large mouth turned into a doggie suction parachute where sucking in the breeze made his lips get gigantic and his cheeks puffed out like a hamster that tempo matched his cheeks to a strobe light ....

Once we got there I knew I was doing the right thing by setting him free ...

I did hold on to him while he went to sleep and for about 10 mins afterward ...

I 'm having a tough day so I want to say thank you for listening ,

Kenny

Sounds absolutely beautiful, the way you handled it. Well done.

• Thanks 1

Oh man...  You know it's going to happen, but you still keep hoping for it to be down the road a bit.

I feel like I did when we lost a couple of the actual forum members here - Duke was one of the gang!

I really like the send off you gave him Kenny!  He moved on knowing how much he was appreciated (and dogs DO sense all that).

RIP Duke!

• Thanks 1

So sorry to hear that Kenny,

It takes me back to July last year when we had to have our cat, named Tigger, put to sleep.

He was 21 but had been with us for 13 years. At least I could hold him in my arms as they administered the injection.

The main thing, I find, is to remember all the good times together and the happiness he gave you and you him.

You did the right thing and ended his life on a high note.

RIP Duke.

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, kennywtelejazz said:

I remember your name from about  20 years ago - before Sonar and Gibson and Roland and now Cakelab. I have never been part of the coffee house. Thought I would take a look, and bam -saw this. I am so sorry for your loss,. It is now 2 weeks to the hour my big guy Sonny flew away. I say that as they are like angels. What peace he brought me. I sometimes still look for it. I sincerely pray for your heart. You did the right thing - you loved him until the end - and more. Celebrating instead of mourning is of course the key - I do pretty good much of the time. A lifelong friend from Tennessee where I grew up lost his dog a few weeks before mine. There are no words, but thank you for yours. I didn't want to get started on this, but you touched my heart. If you are interested in my and Sonny's story someday, hit me up. Not to wax heavy here, but this was the quote of the day (I have a few of those) the morning after. The writer had lost someone dear.

“There are moments, most unexpectedly, when something inside me tries to assure me that I don't really mind so much, not so very much, after all. Love is not the whole of a man's life. I was happy before I ever met D... I've plenty of what are called 'resources'. People get over these things. Come, I shan't do so badly. One is ashamed to listen to this voice, but it seems for a little to be making out a good case. Then comes a sudden jab of red-hot memory and all this 'commonsense' vanishes like an ant in the furnace.”

____from A Grief Observed C.S. Lewis

Love you man

• Thanks 1

It might not help much, but if sympathy counts for anything know that many of us know exactly how you're feeling because we've been there ourselves. I love dogs, but I've not been able to bring myself to get any kind of pet since the last time I went through that agony 18 years ago. It was that traumatic.

Maybe your next pet should be a tortoise. Granted, they're not nearly as much fun as a dog, or even a self-absorbed cat. But at least a tortoise will likely outlive you.

• Thanks 1

Thank you all for having sent the  kind thoughts and words you have expressed here . I miss Duke terribly .

Hearing how a few of you got through your own personal  grief has given me the hope I may get to the other side of my grief .

I would like to thank each and every one of you personally  VIA  a quoted response to what you have posted here  . Currently I am in no position to do so ...

I'm hurting right now . When I feel a little stronger I will come back and show you the respect you deserve for having sent your kind thoughts of comfort my way .

all the best ,

Kenny

Hi Kenny, 

I just caught up with this thread -- I've been out and about for a few days and wasn't checking the forum much. Just saw your heartbreaking journey with Duke.

My sincerest condolences, and if it helps to know this, you are not alone in dealing with this kind of grief.

My girlfriend went through the challenge just a week ago -- she had to put Luna, her beloved 12 year old Lab, to sleep after the sweet girl had sickened with a large cyst on her liver (among a myriad other health problems). She was positive it was the right decision, and she and her children gave Luna a great send-off: as Luna's pack they gathered all around her 24/7, and for those long finals days she got only the BEST food (prime steak, fresh-cooked chicken, cheese and red peppers - Luna was a delightful dog and a bit odd, and red bell peppers were her most favorite food in the whole world).

And then the Vet came over, and my girlfriend and her family gently let Luna go, while their hearts broke wide open. They too clung to her for a while after she passed.

They were all shaken by this, and it will take time. But even now, a week after the sad moment, my girlfriend is cheering up -- the grief is easing and a lifetime of great Luna memories remain, and she is busy memorializing her beloved companion in photos and written tribute on Facebook. 

I truly hope your experience is the same.

All the best,

Rob 

Edited by Amicus717
  • Thanks 1

Hey Kenny sorry to hear about Duke, for a lot of us pets are members of the family. Such a difficult thing to do but can't let them suffer. I carried one of my previous dogs up and down 2 flights of stairs for months to take her out when her hips went (german shephard) and it took me a while to realize that wasn't doing her or anyone else any good. Despite the circumstances the last day you gave him made me smile and I hope someday you will find another buddy to spend your days with.

• Thanks 1