Duke RIP

kennywtelejazz

According to the vet my dog Duke may not be long for this World

Duke is close to 10 . The   average age for his breed American Bulldog is 10 to 15.. Over a prolonged period of time he developed   colon  issues  

( when I first got him I was dealing w this and other health issues . )

Rather than getting into each and every detail of what is going  on,  for now I will just state a current  report of what is currently going on .

Duke lost 20 pounds in the past 8 weeks ,

Duke is on all sorts of medications and I am doing everything I can to get him to eat and maintain a decent quality of life .

He is so blocked up there are times he cant even get more than 10 feet where he is squatting to cut a sausage  and nothing comes out but mucus and a little blood 

I'm all broke up  inside and I have been keeping this info too myself  . the burden  has been too much for me to bear alone  .

I am not ready to give him up and I have been doing all I can to stay by his side and comfort him ..if it is his time , I will accept it

thank you for listening ,

Kenny

Edited by kennywtelejazz
  • Like 1
  • Sad 2

Sorry about Duke Ken.

We had to put our cat to sleep in January. She was only 5 years old.  The whole family was crying. She definitely was family and more than just a pet. She lost half her weight in about 2 months time.   

• Thanks 1

Sorry to hear that Kenny, it's the pits, I know it well, it is the reason that after 45 years of having many various pets I just wont, can't do it again, the ending is just to much for me. I have my wild birds that I feed and get far to close to than I should, but that's it.

All the best to you and Duke, stay strong and by his side as much and as long as you can, there isn't much anyone can say, but you will come out the other side.

• Thanks 1

Sorry to hear about Duke Kenny. I have two who are like family. I can't imagine not having them around. Here's hoping his transition will be painless if that's where he's at. If he still has some days left, here's to him enjoying all of them. If there's a dog heaven let's hope you'll get to see him again one day if and when the worst happens.

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, Bapu said:

Man I am so sorry about Duke. He's been a staple of these forums for quite some time.

Thanks for the kind word and thought Ed , I have always enjoyed his participation here on the forum because I know people would rather hear from him instead of me ...

12 hours ago, emeraldsoul said:

As a fellow companion to two older dogs I wish you both the best.

emeraldsoul yeah older dogs , that is sure a sweet time in their lives when they are healthy .thank you for wishing us the best .

12 hours ago, S.L.I.P. said:

Sorry to hear that Kenny. I've been there. 

Hey S.L.I.P. ,I have been there in the past myself ...you mentioned having been there means a lot to me ...it reminds me we can get through this to the other side no matter how painful it may appear in the moment .

12 hours ago, Sheens said:

sorry to read this Kenny, been there too so know what you're going through and what's ahead....

Hi Sheens , Yes it's a tough one having to go here. ( again )

I feel very blessed to be able to spend my days and nights w Duke , hugging him up and giving him kisses all hours of the day and night has helped me look no further then the moment we are both living as the moment unfolds ...when I go into the future and think about where we are both gonna end up I cry ...my poor fella needed a towel for his head because I held on to him so tight while I was crying a few times ...

note to self cry in secret ...or at least in a different room away from Duke

12 hours ago, synkrotron said:

Sorry to hear that Ken

We have had five dogs over the years and I therefore know that to most of us our pets are more than just a pet. They are a much loved member of the family.

All the best,

andy

Hi Andy , thanks for the empathy . 

Yes I agree w you Our pets are more than just a pet . They are a much loved member of the family ...

Duke has been more like a guardian angel too me ...

I was slipping through the cracks . When he came into my life I thought I was rescuing him .The truth is he wound up rescuing me .

11 hours ago, InstrEd said:

Sorry about Duke Ken.

We had to put our cat to sleep in January. She was only 5 years old.  The whole family was crying. She definitely was family and more than just a pet. She lost half her weight in about 2 months time.   

Sorry to hear about what happened to you and your family InstrEd ...I'm there now pre putting duke to sleep ....now everything is starting to make me cry ..

I saw Seabiscut for the 10 th time a few days ago ...man when it got to the end of the movie where Red / Tobey Maguire narrates how everybody thought they were taking a broken down horse and making him better ...and how it turns out that Seabiscut took a group of broken down people and they all got better together had me crying a river ...that's exactly what Duke has done for me ...

11 hours ago, craigb said:

Damn.  I was in a good mood, but now I'm bummed... 😕

C'mon Duke!  Stick around for awhile!  Kenny needs some company during these weird times.

Stay strong Kenny!

Hey Craig , don't be bummed . Duke and I have been suffering over here in silence ..When you asked about him over in the Pun thread I knew I had to start this thread .

One thing for sure is with out taking care of Duke from the very beginning I may not have made it this far ...we got to where we are now only because took care of each other ...I'm doing my best to stay strong and if that ain't enough so be it if I fall apart I hope I get put back together right this time .

thanks ..

10 hours ago, bayoubill said:

So sorry to hear about it Kenny. 

My dog is going on 16 in September and I tear up looking at her now days. My best to you and Duke. 

Hi Bill! , thanks for the kind word .

Wow going on 16 for a dog is very good and yet I do know how you feel when you look at your dog . My last dog before Duke Lucy lived to be 15 1/2 years old .

About the last year and a half of her life turned out to be all about pain management ....When she started going down hill pain wise I felt heartbroken seeing the health changes in her ..I was grateful that a friend helped make it possible for the vet to come to my house and put Lucy down in my very arms  ...

As far as Duke goes he is  almost  there now ....yet I notice there is a chance he can pull through for a little while longer before I have to make any final decisions .

It seems  the meds he is on may not cure him but they seem to be helping out with his pain .He is a little loopy and lethargic yet  I can tell he hasn't given up yet .

Before the meds he was giving up ..so I have noticed improvement ...will he ever be how he was ? probably not but I will take what little we have left and love him up

My best to you and your dog . 

9 hours ago, ensconced said:

Sorry to hear that Kenny, it's the pits, I know it well, it is the reason that after 45 years of having many various pets I just wont, can't do it again, the ending is just to much for me. I have my wild birds that I feed and get far to close to than I should, but that's it.

All the best to you and Duke, stay strong and by his side as much and as long as you can, there isn't much anyone can say, but you will come out the other side.

Hi ensconced , I know exactly how it feels ...at least in my own version of what you mentioned ...My dog Lucy passed away sometime around 2011.When ever I was home after she had  passed it felt as if all the life and joy had gotten sucked  out of my living space  and my heart felt empty and dead .My heart also became disconnected from my memories because I didn't want to feel the pain over and over again on my trips down memory lane

One day by chance while on a bicycle ride I came upon 2 horses and I started petting them ...the owner came over to me for a chat after watching for a while I was asked are you any good with horses ? I said what do you think ....I not only started taking  care of those 2 horses I wound up taking care of the Gelding across the road ...3 Proxy horses that weren't mine yet I got to love them up every day ...I don't care about riding horses much but I sure love being around them...

any way when that whole thing went sour I wound up getting Duke in 2013 ...he was less than 2 when I got him...

thank for talking with me .

8 hours ago, Wibbles said:

Sorry to hear about Duke. My best wishes to both of you.

Thank you very much Wibbles ! I do appreciate your kind comments 

8 hours ago, Starise said:

Sorry to hear about Duke Kenny. I have two who are like family. I can't imagine not having them around. Here's hoping his transition will be painless if that's where he's at. If he still has some days left, here's to him enjoying all of them. If there's a dog heaven let's hope you'll get to see him again one day if and when the worst happens.

Hi Tim , thank you for the kind comments . Duke was in a lot of pain before the vet put him on meds ...Dukes  meds seem to be antibiotics and something to help clear up the bacteria in his colon . I got him to eat again ..turns out he likes the junky cheap azzed canned food  over me cooking him chicken breasts ... no jokes about my cooking  folks LOL OK

Before he looked like he had very few days left . He looked like he wanted to check out ...now he is clinging to me a lot out side the apt on walks  ...inside our apt I cling to him and spend as much time holding paws with him or just having my hand close to him ...

I sure hope there's a doggie heaven and that I will see him again one day ...because if I find out there is no such thing as a doggie heaven I'm gonna be pissed ..

Then I'm gonna have to make a hard ball decision...what color convertible am I gonna rent to drive on out to The Grand Canyon w Duke ?

Cause if I have to go there I'm gonna give that gas pedal a good mash with my right foot as I grab Dukes Paw as we aim straight for the horizon and  pull our own  version of a Thelma & Louise...no red flags here just a tactical assessment of a choice I'm not allowed to make   

any way here's a couple of Duke Shots when he was having better days ...

Duke is whispering in this photo but I will tell you what he said to me

Kenny  learn how to play in the key of A Minor and The World will be yours

fhs5nMv.png

I asked him have you been  reading Bayoubill 's posts again ? ....he crossed 2 fingers on  his paws and Barked out Busted ...

MyiCVnr.png

thank you all

Kenny

Edited by kennywtelejazz
  • Like 8

On 8/12/2020 at 8:38 AM, henkejs said:

Just saw this. . . That's really rough, Kenny.  My sympathies as a fellow dog owner.

I am going through a rough time over this whole situation with my dog ...my heart is breaking into a thousand little pieces every day .

thank you for the kind word .

On 8/12/2020 at 11:37 AM, Notes_Norton said:

So sorry to hear about this Kenny. Dogs are members of the family and it's tragic when you lose them.

I spoke to the Vet yesterday , the writing is clearly on the wall . The time has come ..

I'm saying my good byes to Duke every day now .. We are both  trying to pack in as much quality time as we can with each other with the time we have left .

I have to let him go and I feel like I'm loosing my child .

thanks for the kind word ,

Kenny

Hello forum members , thank you for showing your concern and empathy for my situation regarding  my dog Duke .

Today at 4: 15 I took Duke to the vet and he was put to sleep ...

I was grateful the Vet was able to see us at 4 PM ...the very thought of waiting until Monday or Tuesday to book an appointment with the vet for later on in the week just did not sit well with me ...

Even though Duke  couldn't tell me verbally he was suffering  I could just tell he was ...so I wanted to give us both a few memories before our final moments together came to a close .

An hour and a half before out appointment I decided to run to the store and buy a steak .I cooked that bad boy up and Duke and I had our last meal together.

I wanted to do everything I could with Duke so I took him to his favorite place to hang . While there we both enjoyed our time together just watching the day to day activities of other dog walkers , cars driving by and children playing in the playground .

Then I  took him for a short walk and once he was done with his assault on the bush I gave him his favorite ball to chew on as I let him into the back seat area of my car ...

Once I got him in the car he was so happy to have his face in the wind ...I was smiling through my tears as I watched his floppy ears flapping like 2 bird wings zig zagging across the sides of his head  while his large mouth turned into a doggie suction parachute where sucking in the breeze made his lips get gigantic and his cheeks puffed out like a hamster that tempo matched his cheeks to a strobe light ....

Once we got there I knew I was doing the right thing by setting him free ...

I did hold on to him while he went to sleep and for about 10 mins afterward ...

I 'm having a tough day so I want to say thank you for listening ,

Kenny

Edited by kennywtelejazz
  • Like 1
  • Sad 2