first mix of a new rocker: "Michael's House"

bats brew

this is brand new......
i did some weird fun stuff with this one.
i have complete vocals written, but not recorded yet,
so this is the backing tracks only.
kinda works as an instrumental too!

any feedback on this is appreciated.

Edited by batsbrew
updated link

Hey, Rob,

Really cool start to what's going to definitely be a killer song!🙂

It's a little different than your usual stuff, but it's got your signature sound and great playing, and there are lots of interesting melodies and elements flowing in and out on this one for sure.  It works pretty well as a stand alone instrumental, but I can't wait to hear it when you drop in your dynamite vocals!👍

Cool stuff, Bats, good to see you over here at the new hangout!

Have a good one, brother!
Bob

Great ideas here, the guitars are amazing, I love it.

I would ditch the Reprise that begins @3:05 and just lay a fade and end. It would trim 1:30 off the TLOS (Total Length Of Song). What I have learned through the years is that it is difficult enough to keep anyone's attention for 3 minutes. A good song is built using multiple formulas, a great song only uses one= The craving to listen to the song again and again.

The drums are really cool man, great rolling beat. However there are really no changes in that beat. That's okay for some songs. It seems to work here.

Really like the guitar tone you have here. Mind if I ask what it is ?

On 2/24/2019 at 1:56 AM, garybrun said:

That drumming is mental 🙂

heheh, yep, that was the idea.

maybe i'll change the SOUNDS of the kit to an artificial sound,

to give it more of an obvious industrial kind of vibe, which is more of what i was going for......

On 2/24/2019 at 2:57 AM, Bob Oister said:

Hey, Rob,

Really cool start to what's going to definitely be a killer song!🙂

It's a little different than your usual stuff, but it's got your signature sound and great playing, and there are lots of interesting melodies and elements flowing in and out on this one for sure.  It works pretty well as a stand alone instrumental, but I can't wait to hear it when you drop in your dynamite vocals!👍

Cool stuff, Bats, good to see you over here at the new hangout!

Have a good one, brother!
Bob

yep, a bit different!

heheheh....

the vocal will tie it all together.....

part of this song, is a celebration of a friend who has passed....

the first part, is when he was alive.

the 2nd part, is a remembrance.

i'm still working on the lyric...

i think i'll take another complete pass at the drums,

and use parts of the 'driving' sections, probably during the verses, and break it down for the bridges, and the middle section....

i have two completely different drum tracks programmed,

the one here, is actually the two tracks interposed on top of each other,

as if there are two drummer at once, like with the grateful dead or the allman bros.

On 2/24/2019 at 5:10 AM, Chuck E Baby said:

Great ideas here, the guitars are amazing, I love it.

I would ditch the Reprise that begins @3:05 and just lay a fade and end. It would trim 1:30 off the TLOS (Total Length Of Song). What I have learned through the years is that it is difficult enough to keep anyone's attention for 3 minutes. A good song is built using multiple formulas, a great song only uses one= The craving to listen to the song again and again.

The drums are really cool man, great rolling beat. However there are really no changes in that beat. That's okay for some songs. It seems to work here.

Really like the guitar tone you have here. Mind if I ask what it is ?

hey chuckie,

thanks for listening!

i happen to think the 2nd half (reprise) is the hook of the song...and thank GHOD i don't hold myself to formulas at this point of my writing songs,

i aint writing pop tune! so, really, my target market is folks that like to sink into tunes for a period of time, and go on journeys...... not eat the fast food!

that said, as i wrote in my reply to bob, i'll be messing with the drums quite a bit.

and to be fair, the reprise really doesn't make sense, without the vocals to tie it all together...

guitar work:

i always use multiple setups, and a combo of mic and direct for the captures on all my material....

here's the basic rig:

guitar-rig-2012.jpg

all four of these guitars were used. they are all custom except the '77 ibanez 2618, which is stock.

amp is '82 mesa boogie MKIIb, cabs are a mix of open back and closed, celestions in all, and when cabs are miced, it's a SM57, and when direct, it's a Palmer PDI-09 directly off the output of the amp.

Is that a JetCity ISO cab I see there (looks like possibly a variac on top of it)? If so how do you like it ? I built my own ISO cab but im still fighting weather or not like it or not.

14 hours ago, batsbrew said:

i aint writing pop tune! so, really, my target market is folks that like to sink into tunes for a period of time, and go on journeys...... not eat the fast food!

Hey I totally understand where your coming form. I personally love this song you have created. I am a tone chaser like most obsessive guitarist are. I have 10 cabs (1x12's, 2x12's, 4x12's) loaded with Greenbacks, V30s, Classic lead's, Redcoats, exc.

But as I mentioned before..1/3 of the song is a fade / feedback. What you do with it is up to you of course.

I was simply giving you my opinion on what I thought sounded a bit dragged out. Hope I didn't come across as being negative.

5 hours ago, Chuck E Baby said:

Is that a JetCity ISO cab I see there (looks like possibly a variac on top of it)? If so how do you like it ? I built my own ISO cab but im still fighting weather or not like it or not.

I was simply giving you my opinion on what I thought sounded a bit dragged out. Hope I didn't come across as being negative.

hey chucky!

that is a Demeter SSC-1LC, that i did some augmentation of the soundproofing on. i bought it back when i was renting.....

i used it on a lot of tracks back then.....

it has a celestion vintage 30 in it, and now i never use it!

LOL.... i need to sell it, to someone who can use it.

my studio setup now, allows me to play as loud as i want, and i do.

the device on top, is a Weber Mass Lite attenuator.

when i use the palmer for line level capture, i take it off first, send to the attenuator, and use the cabs as monitors. i can do silent recording this way.

as far as sounding negative, no, i didn't take it that way at all! no worries.

• Like 1