After Cakewalk 2020-08 update the app crashes when first launched

TH

After update, Cakewalk fails to fully launch.  Worked fine prior to update.   
Instead, it starts to launch, displays the usual app screen, checks for plugins, identifies the usual, then the app closes completely. 
It doesn't appear in task manager.
Until I resolve this,  I'm totally dead in the water... So, any ideas are greatly appreciated. 

When I attempt to launch from BandLab assistant, the same thing happens - but the initial app screen freezes and a Windows error notification is displayed: 
Access error. Bandlab Assistant can not open C:\program files\cakewalk\cakewalk core\cakewalk.exe,  Try to run app as an administrator

If I attempt to launch Cakewalk from app folder above in 2 as Administrator the same thing happens listed in 1 above. I am the admin for the laptop

I refreshed activation - no change

I changed name of folders for 3rd party Plugins to remove paths from cakewalk configuration - no change 

Rebooted after each change listed  above  before each attempt to re-launch - resulting no change

I completely uninstalled Cakewalk  (through the BandLab assistant), then BandLab Assistant and and related programs through Windows Apps, then rebooted, and reinstalled Bandlab Assistant, Cakewalk, and other programs, rebooted again, no change. Exact same outcomes

Win 10 Home 2004 19041.388
Dell XPS 15 9570 - on TB16 Dock
Intel Core i7-8750 CPU 2.20GHz
Ram 32 GB
Presonus AudioBox USB 96
Launchkey 49 MK2
Voicemeeter Banana

My guess would be that you do not have Windows maintenance current - perhaps you could hit your Windows Start Button, click on the gear at the lower left, which is for Settings, then click on Update and Security - which takes you to Windows Updates.

Some updates require explicit clicking on a link, which would show underneath the Check for Updates button, to actually download and install optional updates, such as feature updates (major updates are treated this way).

If you applied any such updates, then when they finish, I suggest manually clicking on the Check for Updates button one more time, in case there are updates to the updates you just applied.....

Bob Bone

51 minutes ago, TH said:

After update, Cakewalk fails to fully launch.  Worked fine prior to update.   
Instead, it starts to launch, displays the usual app screen, checks for plugins, identifies the usual, then the app closes completely. 
It doesn't appear in task manager.
Until I resolve this,  I'm totally dead in the water... So, any ideas are greatly appreciated. 

When I attempt to launch from BandLab assistant, the same thing happens - but the initial app screen freezes and a Windows error notification is displayed: 
Access error. Bandlab Assistant can not open C:\program files\cakewalk\cakewalk core\cakewalk.exe,  Try to run app as an administrator

If I attempt to launch Cakewalk from app folder above in 2 as Administrator the same thing happens listed in 1 above. I am the admin for the laptop

I refreshed activation - no change

I changed name of folders for 3rd party Plugins to remove paths from cakewalk configuration - no change 

Rebooted after each change listed  above  before each attempt to re-launch - resulting no change

I completely uninstalled Cakewalk  (through the BandLab assistant), then BandLab Assistant and and related programs through Windows Apps, then rebooted, and reinstalled Bandlab Assistant, Cakewalk, and other programs, rebooted again, no change. Exact same outcomes

Win 10 Home 2004 19041.388
Dell XPS 15 9570 - on TB16 Dock
Intel Core i7-8750 CPU 2.20GHz
Ram 32 GB
Presonus AudioBox USB 96
Launchkey 49 MK2
Voicemeeter Banana

If you use the 2020.05 Rollback Installer does it launch normally?

7 hours ago, Jonathan Sasor said:

If you use the 2020.05 Rollback Installer does it launch normally?

Thanks for the input!  That seems like a good idea - and it may have worked but I ended up fixing the issue by following the scorched earth method aka a Cakewalk "Clean Install" that's covered at this link https://help.cakewalk.com/hc/en-us/articles/360034066393-Clean-Install-Cakewalk-by-BandLab  I also removed other related folders and uninstalled BandLab assistant. 

I went that route since the day before, I had just updated Windows to 2004 as well as a the Dell Bios, and a bunch of dell apps and drivers

Now everything is brand new - although I had to reconfigure a bunch of old settings. Fortunately I didn't customize my setup that much.

T

7 hours ago, Robert Bone said:

My guess would be that you do not have Windows maintenance current - perhaps you could hit your Windows Start Button, click on the gear at the lower left, which is for Settings, then click on Update and Security - which takes you to Windows Updates.

Some updates require explicit clicking on a link, which would show underneath the Check for Updates button, to actually download and install optional updates, such as feature updates (major updates are treated this way).

If you applied any such updates, then when they finish, I suggest manually clicking on the Check for Updates button one more time, in case there are updates to the updates you just applied.....

Bob Bone

Thanks for the good suggestion. Fortunately a Cakewalk clean install did the trick (see my other response). Since I have been cursed to run tier 2 desktop and infrastructure support for too many years, my gear was all up-to-date right AFTER I updated cakewalk - which in retrospect it may have made more sense  to updated my OS and laptop drivers first  - THEN updated cakewalk. Then again, my first install may have gotten jacked up with all these SW changes happening in a short time frame.

Thanks again to all who weighed in!