ProTools plugins in VST format?

mibby

Any previous (or current) ProTools users who wish they could get the PT plugins in their current DAW?   I had no idea that AIR Music Technology was the manufacturer and that the plugins were available. 

Are they any good??

http://store.dontcrack.com/product_info.php?manufacturers_id=119&products_id=2557

(Currently $20 - no idea how long they're on sale.)

I use the instruments more than the effects.  But for $20, they are good effects.  They have been around for a while and your current DAW probably has some that are just as good. 

ProTools has a mix of Air and Avid effects.  I tend to use mostly Avid, but the Air Delay gets used as well as the reverb.  

• Thanks 1

FWIW: I've always thought that it was telling that a tutorial on mixing that included said project in various DAW formats *almost* never include DAW specific plugins. They will however include a boatload of 3rd party plugins. That includes the ProTools version too.

• Like 1

I think tutorials always use 3rd party plugins because they are universal to all DAWs.  So I'm not sure that is a good recommendation to get or not to get plugins.  

This is not to say that a lot of 3rd party plugins aren't better, just that the current DAW's (mostly) have pretty good plugins that can get you started without spending a lot of extra money.   

For the Air plugins, if you use even one on a regular basis, the $20 is a good deal.  I wouldn't pay full price for the Air stuff though. It is on the lines of the old Waves plugins.  Solid, does what they say they will do.  Nothing fancy for the most part. 

22 minutes ago, mibby said:

A lot of them certainly seem redundant. I was wondering about the quality of them though?  i.e. I've seen Lo-Fi in a few tutorials which looks pretty decent, but I've got lots of alternatives...

At $20, I'd only recommend them to a beginner.  Nothing wrong with them but they are dated and I'm sure you have newer + better tools already.  

Current AIR sale:

https://www.pluginboutique.com/deals/show?sale_id=6396

You can also buy the AIR Complete Expansion Pack 3 upgrade which comes with a bundle of AIR instruments, plus the FX collection for $74.99, IF you have any single AIR instrument you qualify for the upgrade price. https://www.pluginboutique.com/product/1-Instruments/58-Inst-Bundle/2294-AIR-Instrument-Expansion-Pack-3-COMPLETE-UPGRADE-

Single instruments can be had for as low as $9.99 if you don't yet have one.

And yes they are old, and probably best for someone starting out on a tight budget. Because they are inexpensive!

Edited by abacab
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, mibby said:

A lot of them certainly seem redundant. I was wondering about the quality of them though?  i.e. I've seen Lo-Fi in a few tutorials which looks pretty decent, but I've got lots of alternatives...

The Reaper Blog on youtube has a video where they are used in Reaper.  It will take quite a search to find it.

21 minutes ago, Bapu said:

Funny how old hardware is coveted but old plugins are not.

I think it is logical.

Hardware are both limited in availablity as well as have a cost to produce them (the ones that are coveted were already pretty expensive to begin with) and they have maintained compatiblity for decades.

Plugins  (old ones) tend to lose compatiblity, were written for older hardware/software, had to work within the confines of lower techonology.     They have proven to have a far shorter life span, only sound as good as the techonology at the time avaiable in the digital realm, which constantly progresses.  

Plugins have only recently starting hitting a sweet spot of good UI , sound quality and efficiency.    

1 hour ago, Bapu said:

Funny how old hardware is coveted but old plugins are not.

Except some old plug ins ARE! The Native Instruments B4 is still the best B3 emu ever made in my opinion. It's one of the reasons I can't switch to Mac.... on Windows it still works!

R

59 minutes ago, Eusebio Rufian-Zilbermann said:

Actually, I think they are but in a different way. I have some 32-bit vst2's that I keep struggling with ways to make them work in newer hosts (tubeohm vintage, xhun ironaxe, to name a couple).

I certianly agree that some old 32 bit plugins are still great.

But I think the point is they are severly devalued becuase they are already not compatible with many programs (Cakewalk is actually an exception at this point due to the fantastic way they keep legacy products compatible).

You won't find people wanting to spend retail (or more) on those old plugins, even if they are great.   

53 minutes ago, Rico Belled said:

Except some old plug ins ARE! The Native Instruments B4 is still the best B3 emu ever made in my opinion. It's one of the reasons I can't switch to Mac.... on Windows it still works!

R

It was an amazing achievement back in the day.

However, I have it and I'm not convienced the original B4 is still the top of the food chain

Something like this, I think is better.

https://www.ikmultimedia.com/products/hammondb3x/?utm_source=forum&utm_medium=link&utm_campaign=hammondb3x

1 hour ago, Rico Belled said:

Native Instruments B4 is still the best B3 emu ever made in my opinion...

And if you prefer to keep it tiny and your system in sanity, something like Blue3 is better in every aspect. Every means sound too. And I was a hardcore fan of NI B4 until I met Blue3.

Edited by chris.r