Waveform 10 from Tracktion

Fleer

I downloaded the demo, but not used it much yet. Does the upgrade apply for the 8 versions as well? I couldn't find info on the "upgrade" aspect.

Looks like some features got inspiration from other DAWs, but no harm in that. 

One thing that really stands out is the quality of their web page and videos. Their marketing folks are really on the ball with that stuff. Very nicely done on both fronts.

9 hours ago, mettelus said:

I downloaded the demo, but not used it much yet. Does the upgrade apply for the 8 versions as well? I couldn't find info on the "upgrade" aspect.

If you click on the "Buy now" link, it shows this at the bottom:

"Upgrade from: T7 (excluding Free), T7 OEM, W8, W8 OEM, W9.    |    Terms. All sales are final.

https://www.tracktion.com/products/waveform

• Like 1

The new multi-sampler instrument Tracktion added in W9 is a handy tool to have. You can live sample with it from any audio source on the computer, including Windows audio.

Great for quick "what-you-hear" grabs from media players and videos.  :D

• Like 2

I'll wait for an upgrade discount or just remove this one off the too many DAWs list. I've had a license since they first started and never really used it.  Some of these features exist in other DAWs.   They jump to new versions to make even Finale jealous.  Their bells and whistles license is $499.  That's up there with Cubase and Live. IMO it's not even in the same league. 

Edited by kitekrazy

1 hour ago, kitekrazy said:

I'll wait for an upgrade discount or just remove this one off the too many DAWs list. I've had a license since they first started and never really used it.  Some of these features exist in other DAWs.   They jump to new versions to make even Finale jealous.  Their bells and whistles license is $499.  That's up there with Cubase and Live. IMO it's not even in the same league. 

The DAW upgrade is only $69. The bells and whistles  bundle doesn't include  any more features for the core DAW.

It just adds a pile of all of their ala carte synths into the bundle, such as Biotek 2, MOK Waverazor, and the Retromod collection.  Plus the DAW Essentials FX collection. I consider DAW Essentials pretty "meh" myself, as I already have a ton of plugins. I got DAW Essentials tossed in basically for free a while back when I bought Biotek. Biotek is a really a very cool synth, and I did a standalone upgrade to Biotek 2 last year. Very deep synth, a blend of VA, samples, and granular,  up to 12 layers with four oscillators each, and eleventy bazillion modulators for some massive sounds! :D

https://www.tracktion.com/products/biotek

BioTek’s codebase was skillfully created by the industry veteran, Wolfram Franke who refined his craft designing a long list of instruments for Waldorf Music

So all you really need is the base DAW for $69, the bundle is probably redundant with most of the plugins and synths many of us already own.  I like the MIDI pattern generators in Waveform, and that is the main reason I got it when it was first released.

My recommendation is get the base DAW and maybe wait for 50% deals on any of their synths that you really want. Skip the bundle.

Edited by abacab
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, abacab said:

The new multi-sampler instrument Tracktion added in W9 is a handy tool to have. You can live sample with it from any audio source on the computer, including Windows audio.

Great for quick "what-you-hear" grabs from media players and videos.  :D

I got 8 during the Gibson debacle, and demo'd 9 but the layout didn't click with me and I was too lazy to dedicate time to it. That new sampler did stick out, since there are very few "quick and dirty" ways to do loop backs via software. They seem to be putting some real effort into features, so I will give them another go. I need to actually make something with it rather than just screwing around testing features. 😳

Edited by mettelus
  • Like 1

I still have things I have not yet " learned how to do "  in T 8 & T 9 . Looking at T 10  My head is gonna explode  .

It's all good , I'll figure something out I hope

Kenny

PS I hope is not a new pancake joint or an Apple app . I hope is the pile I have watched grow over the years as I have  tossed over my hard core intentions of getting around to it some day .

• Like 1

For those that missed W9, here is a quick intro to the new multi-sampler that was added.

Note: the multi-sampler is integrated with the DAW, and is not available as a VST plugin.

01 Introduction to Waveform Multi Sampler

Edited by abacab

On 2/25/2019 at 10:41 PM, Kenny Wilson said:

Looking at T 10  My head is gonna explode  .

LOL, that is a good summary of things. As I am playing with T10, I realized that I got this new machine about 10 weeks after getting the T8 deal and never installed it on this computer. While plying with T10, I tore into Collective and Biotek seriously for the first time, and I really like those guys. Turned out, the T10 demo comes with the versions I owned from T8, so they authorized.

Long story short... I *assumed* that both of these were locked to Tracktion but found out that regardless of what installation path you choose, they install to C:\Program Files\Steinberg\VstPlugins. Once I added that path to VST scans in SO4 and CbB, they pop up for use. 😁

I am still having a very difficult time clicking with Tracktion's workflow, so will see how this plays out; but the two things I really wanted (Collective and BioTek (1)) from this demo I realized I already had.

Just a quick FYI for folks, since I have never had the Steinberg plugin path in my VST scans... It won't hurt to add that path if not already done. AAS is the only other verdor I have that seems to install a duplicate there, even though I told it not to.

Love those synths, Collective and Biotek!

One thing I recently learned in Waveform was how to insert the LFO Modifier on the instrument plugin. You can easily get some additional modulation going with any automation parameter in the synth this way. Lots of fun, and not limited to the included synths, works with 3rd party synths inserted into Waveform as well.

Here's a video clip showing an  older version of the LFO Modifier. The modifiers were upgraded in W9, so they can do much more now!