Celtic Electra

Starise

The title seems to set you up for something with a more electronic bent to it. In fact, there are some buried electronic elements in it but they aren't as overt. 

A theme based medieval/celtic direction was my goal. Comments welcome!

• Like 2

Oh I like this - haunting.  I can just imagine myself sitting on the misty marshes listening to this!

Very nice job indeed.

I can hear the high register   stuff around 2.35 that tom mentions, but  on the monitors i was listening to it on, i cant say it really bothered me too much, although i could see this being more intrusive on different/better set ups than mine.

Cheers

Nigel

Hi Gary- Thank you for this suggestion. As soon as I can get the time I will revisit it. Ironically after going through three different flute sounds I ended up with this.  What is ironic is that it is one of the least expensive flutes I own and it won against single libraries costing a lot more. It's a flute I have never used in the software version of Korg M-1.  Thanks for your help !

Douglas- Thanks for listening!

Deering Amps, Is it Tom?  This further confirms I should look at the flute. Appreciate you giving the locations. I don't think I added compression on the flute. Maybe some light EQ or compression will help.

Nigel- Thanks! Never been to SA. Would love to visit some time to see those marshes. Thanks for further comments on mix. My monitors are just "ok" I have grown to like them though. I'll try listening through some other systems and maybe I can pin it down. I hate to admit that many others probably have better hearing than I do. Cheers!

• Like 1

Tim
Beautiful. Love that Celtic flavor. I didn't think the flutes were piercing at 2:30, maybe just a tad too loud.
Like you mentioned with the virtual Korg M1, I use the Kontakt Factory sounds often because I find them better than some of the high priced instruments I've bought.

Enjoyed the tune. Listening on laptop so its hard to tell but could the harshness others are talking about sounds more of an issue with the keys part & freq. buildup with the flute.

I'd try eq'ing those shared range freqs., sometimes a simple one band de-esser can work wonders too.

Again, I'm on laptop so take it with a grain of salt!

Evocative and atmospheric, I like it a lot.

One thing that might add an extra dimension, especially to the second half of the piece, is a deeper percussion instrument showing up. Maybe a nice deep, thrumming tympanum that hits maybe once a bar on the downbeat - or some variation of that.  Might just give it a bit of a tribal/ritual feel, which is also really appropriate for the whole Celtic vibe (to my ears, anyway). 

Love the use of voices in this one -- I often use them the say way, and it works really well here. 

Rob