Cakewalk by BandLab update not working

Veets

Hi,

I clicked the option to update Cakewalk by BandLab but it shows Installing for quite some time, at least 20 minutes.  The status bar went from 0 to 100% "Installing" keeps flashing.  Has anyone else encountered this issue?  Thanks.

1 hour ago, JoeGBradford said:

I had the same problem and followed instructions in the thread on the new release to find the .exe file. Worked fine when I double clicked on that. Might also be worth checking if your Bandlab installer needs updating as that seems to have worked for others

Yip .. elsewhere i stated I had this issue. I solved it - After opening BL assistant to try update it got stuck on Download .. so I closed down BL assistant in the system tray and reopening again and clicked on update once more, that worked BUT it still stuck on download in BL Assistant, i just clicked the x and it then said complete.

I also noticed my BL Assistant ver was 5.2.0 so downloaded the latest version from site and it upgraded to v6. In hindsight that may have been the issue?

• Like 1

This has been an ongoing issue since the very first release.

While I'm grateful and pleased with the continued development of Cake, The installer issues have have been continuous.

Bandlab assistant always fails it’s own updates requiring a fresh download/install.

The progress bar can not be trusted. Sometimes it works fine and other times takes very long times to download and gets stuck without completion successful or not. I don’t know what the issues are, but it scares me at every update on every machine/os. It is not only win10. I suffer it on win8.1 and some of my students have the same on win7.

I keep hoping for a major revision on this system soon! I miss Cakewalk Command Center?

• Like 1

5 hours ago, aidan o driscoll said:

Yip .. elsewhere i stated I had this issue. I solved it - After opening BL assistant to try update it got stuck on Download .. so I closed down BL assistant in the system tray and reopening again and clicked on update once more, that worked BUT it still stuck on download in BL Assistant, i just clicked the x and it then said complete.

I also noticed my BL Assistant ver was 5.2.0 so downloaded the latest version from site and it upgraded to v6. In hindsight that may have been the issue?

Ok,

Just tried it on a relatively freshly installed windows 10 system. This has Old cakewalk & Command ctr installed plus had Bandlab Assistant v5.2.0 / BL CW installed. I first updated BL assistant to 6, then attempted to install. BL Assistant sat at progress bar installing. I had to close BLA in the system tray and restart it .. it then went ahead and installed after that.

Could it be those of us with old CW/Cmd Ctr installed as this new ver is installing CLASSIC CREATIVE Suite, something already installed by old CW SONAR Plat?  

I had same issue. Update installation stuck after BandLab Assistant showed "Installing..."
So I had to install with manually run ’Cakewalk_by_BandLab_Update_Setup_26.08.0.100.exe’. 
This file is under C:\Users\Your_User_Name\AppData\Roaming\bandlab-assistant\Downloads

This happened similarly on my other PC. (Windows 10, 1909) 

FYI: It happens regardless of whether BandLab Assistant is v5.2 or v6.0

Just in case, execute 'Refresh Activation' command if did manually install.
(Re-run BandLab Assistant > Apps tab > Dropdown the down arrow)

Edited by HIBI

44 minutes ago, aidan o driscoll said:

Ok,

Just tried it on a relatively freshly installed windows 10 system. This has Old cakewalk & Command ctr installed plus had Bandlab Assistant v5.2.0 / BL CW installed. I first updated BL assistant to 6, then attempted to install. BL Assistant sat at progress bar installing. I had to close BLA in the system tray and restart it .. it then went ahead and installed after that.

Could it be those of us with old CW/Cmd Ctr installed as this new ver is installing CLASSIC CREATIVE Suite, something already installed by old CW SONAR Plat?  

If you don't see either the progress bar (for updates) or the installer menu for Cakewalk popping up, you're not actually in the Cakewalk installer yet. It seems like a few people are seeing some issues with BA being able to launch the installer initially. Typically closing and restarting BA should resolve this, but otherwise you can manually launch the installer as @HIBI mentioned. 

2021-08-24:  This is an old thread.  Much has changed.  So people don't think my comments from August 10, 2020 are still relevant, I have put them in a light grey font.  Also, please see this:

===========================================================================================

On 8/10/2020 at 11:35 AM, aidan o driscoll said:

I had to close BLA in the system tray and restart it .. it then went ahead and installed after that.

I suspect that (1) below [killing all Bandlab processes via Task Manager] achieved the same thing as closing it in the system tray.  I haven't had an update not work in months, but if I do, I will try the system tray close trick. Thanks for that tip. 

On 1/7/2020 at 10:35 AM, User 905133 said:

Just a footnote: There are some solutions to getting Bandlab Assistant to work that various people found and reported. Unfortunately, they are scattered in different threads and different sub-forums. There is even one threat that uses "Assistent."  Also, I seem to recall one discussion in the "Deals" sub-forum. Not every solution works for everyone, but if all possible solutions were in one place (or if there were an index thread with links to possible solutions, people might not have to re-invent the wheel.

Recent ones that I had success with at different times: (1) killing all the 0% Bandlab processes that are in Task Manager (the ones that persist after using Bandlab and closing it), (2) downloading the update manually and after getting a failed up date, discovering it failed because there were hidden dialogs open. I mention these two because they are less intrusive than things like uninstalling, rebooting, etc. and I like paths of least resistance.

Note: Not saying the possible solutions should be deleted from existing threads and moved, rather that one thread with links to possible solutions in other threads might be helpful.

Edited by User 905133
So people who read my post realize it is over a year old and has been superseded

4 hours ago, HIBI said:

I had same issue. Update installation stuck after BandLab Assistant showed "Installing..."
So I had to install with manually run ’Cakewalk_by_BandLab_Update_Setup_26.08.0.100.exe’. 
This file is under C:\Users\Your_User_Name\AppData\Roaming\bandlab-assistant\Downloads

This happened similarly on my other PC. (Windows 10, 1909) 

FYI: It happens regardless of whether BandLab Assistant is v5.2 or v6.0

Just in case, execute 'Refresh Activation' command if did manually install.
(Re-run BandLab Assistant > Apps tab > Dropdown the down arrow)

Nothing in there......   😒

My initial attempt to install the update resulted in the endless 'Installing...' scenario. I restarted BandLab Assistant, clicked update  and the process completed without any issues. (Windows 10 Pro, 2004)

Edited by Songroom
Clarification

Assistant says version is current. No update option. I don't ever recall getting anything in that folder. I thought there was a roll back file available. But if I did that, the GUI and transport lag would return. I'll just work with the 2 machines with zero latency via Sonic-Core hosting VSTs and audio. VoiceMeeter turns Scope ASIO into a multi ASIO Host. Just need to update some VSTs on that box. It's a workaround for now, but the Sonic-Core machine is not nearly as powerful as my main DAW machine. If it matters, I'm running Win 8 64 Pro at average 3200Mhz and 64 GB of RAM and all SSDs.

2021-08-24:  This is an old thread.  Much has changed.  So people don't think my comments from August 10, 2020 are still relevant, I have put them in a light grey font.  Also, please see this:

===========================================================================================

Not doubting others have had issues; just sharing a few things I noticed on a fresh Cakewalk installation on a new-to-me PC (2012 era computer recently refurbished by a certified reseller with Win 10 Pr v. 2004) in case they help others install Cakewalk. Earlier I had installed the drivers and software for my legacy PCI card.

• Downloaded Bandlab Assistant from the Cakewalk by Bandlab website.
  • Website warned about using cookies; I said OK.
  • Win 10 Defender red flagged it and ask for my OK; I did.
  • Ran Bandlab Assistant, logged in to my account, chose to install Cakewalk only (no add-ons just yet)
  • Had no downloading meter; just  flashing text.
  • Switched to Task Manager to verify the program was doing something  (not hanging); it was indeed running.
  • After Cakewalk downloaded, I said OK to run it; watched the progress in the dialog; got the finished message.
  • Ran Cakewalk and stepped through the setup wizard.

After testing the PCI card and Cakewalk, the plan is to uninstall Cakewalk, install a few other versions of SONAR so I get my old plug-ins and then re-install Cakewalk. Perhaps that won't go as smoothly.

Many tips have been posted previously in different threads. I hope this adds a few more.

Edited by User 905133
So people who read my post realize it is over a year old and has been superseded