Undo for mixing moves, please

Starship Krupa

11 hours ago, Jim Fogle said:

One point made earlier is the Undo history includes both editing and mixing moves.

What if the user could choose which Undo history to follow; editing Undo, mixing Undo or both Undo?  The user could select similar to the way snap or loop settings are turned on and off.

Look at it from a new user or beginner viewpoint,  who is going to know from the beginning @GreenLight's rules for Undo?

Interesting concept!

The easiest concept (and the one I'd prefer) would obviously to just include track parameter changes in the normal undo history. No check boxes to check, no undo histories to select.

Ah well, I'm just beating a dead horse here... :)🐴

But out of curiosity, I think I will start investigating how many other DAW's don't support undo of a simple volume change of a track.

• Like 1

Please understand, I didn't initially suggest that Console knob moves be included in the global Undo. If there were a separate queue and menu item for "Mix Undo," that would be just fine with me.

The thing to be aware of, It's not all about intentional, strategic moves and wanting to try something then back out of it. It's also (maybe moreso for me) about reversing accidental mouse and wheel movements, which are easy to do. I'm tired, I want to scroll the Console View, and I accidentally roll the wheel while my cursor is over a fader or send knob. Yikes!

It doesn't have to be part of the main Undo, that can stay as it is. I would prefer an option that would include mixing moves in the main queue, but witnessing the reaction that the idea provoked in @Noel Borthwick, I stand behind a separate queue 100%. Being used to having those moves included in the other DAW's I use, I take it for granted, but for people used to something different, it doesn't make sense to impose it on them.

If the menu were in Console View, all the better.