Bug: Instrument Track automation on Volume broken in 2020.08

Josh Wolfer

Track Volume automation no longer works on instrument tracks in the latest release. This behavior is not seen with midi or Audio tracks. It appears that when using the new  '=' bind to display track volume, the automation lane has no effect on the track volume. If you pay attention to close detail, the automation lane says "(volume)" instead of "volume". 

The lane with "(volume)" has no affect. 

You can still pull up the correct "volume" automation lane by manually selecting it: 

image.png.4c8e589f43660b32abf0dab73fb07948.png

This yields the expected result. 

Other Details:

• The midi volume that specifies "volume (default ch. 1) still works properly in automating the midi volume send into the plugin. 
  • If you enable write automation and then drag the track volume, it works fine.
  • The (volume) automation co-exists in the automation lanes. I have all 3 in this particular instrument track to show it:

image.png.7d1f9b80dd847c88ada24de5a7765c5b.png

image.png.c372666e5e694cf81a29bfd8a8e50b94.png

image.png.31d4efa0287dacf82f091d3c808b6555.png

Mild annoyance since I figured out a workaround. 

Also, it seems like the '=' bind to clip between the last automation lines use is a bit glitch on instrument tracks in general, IE: it stops working and doesn't flip back from the (Volume) line. 

Thank you for the new release, it's generally excellent. 

Edited by Josh Wolfer

Instrument tracks are actually two tracks - an Audio track and a MIDI track.

The "Volume" automation is the automation for the audio track, and the " Volume (ch 1)" is the volume for the MIDI track.  Pan and "Pan (ch 1)" are a similar thing.  The "(volume)" automation indicates that somehow these have been mixed up, and it doesn't know which one to choose.

In the inspector, when the MIDI tab is selected:

• Volume controls MIDI volume
  • Pan controls MIDI pan
  • Gain controls velocity trim

When the Audio tab is selected in the inspector

• Volume controls the volume of the Audio track
  • Pan controls the audio track pan
  • Gain controls the audio track gain

I'll look into this further to see if this is an issue, or just confusion between the similarly named parameters... but can you try to see if it makes a difference whether the MIDI or Audio tab is selected when you're flipping?

@msmcleod I understand the differences between the track volume vs midi volume. Check out my screenshot where it has "(volume)" vs "volume". The prior controls nothing (but is what you get when you use the new '=' key bind) and the latter is the correct track volume. 

Happy to do a screen share and show you as well. I'm 99% certain that you will agree this is a bug. 

Also, fwiw, I'm doing this all from the main track view without doing anything from the Inspector module. I can reproduce it each time. 

Edited by Josh Wolfer

I can't seem to reproduce this - it's working fine for me with instrument tracks.

Can you post steps on how to reproduce this?

The "(volume)" envelope indicates either a MIDI volume envelope has ended up on an audio track,  or an Audio volume envelope has ended up on the MIDI track... I can't get it into this state tho.